So is GW2 just an AFK farm at this point? Why is every map you visit full of them now even the Halloween events?

MyOwn Inferno.5918

59 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Read his youtube title.

AFK = away from keyboard , ... but the mouse .... 

Anet just give us a nice costume weapon brawl that can interact with afk players like the flowers , i would happily spend hours taking them to a tour and drop them from a cliff 

The guy from youtube vidéo called me a troll ! now thats personal , i am pretty sure when he isnt doing videos he is afk too ...

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:06 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

I wonder if it's more common on the NA servers than EU.

That may very well be the case. I, too, do not do any sort of repetitive farming, but there are a number of massive afk farming hives I encounter during map completions. The Iron Marches one is extremely dense - so many nameplates mushed together, names are completely unintelligible. Basically any place where your minions or turrets can farm mobs for dust materials, you'll see afk farmers there in NA.

It's not the ToS or prices that bother me about afk farmers - it's the immersion breaking. Yes, lots of things break immersion, but a massive crowd standing completely still in random places in the game world is one of the more egregious ways to do it.

• Like 4

the areas I notice them the most is on the LW4 maps.  I farm certain paths each day for karmic drops. Working on karma for variants.  I usually see around 50+  just on 2 maps alone when I'm running around killing.   The LW4 maps give karma per kill,  volatile magic per kill in addition to whatever they drop.  I gave up reporting them. 

The new term for afk farming is called passive farming.  Sounds less like cheating I guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

AFK = away from keyboard , ... but the mouse .... 

Anet just give us a nice costume weapon brawl that can interact with afk players like the flowers , i would happily spend hours taking them to a tour and drop them from a cliff 

The guy from youtube vidéo called me a troll ! now thats personal , i am pretty sure when he isnt doing videos he is afk too ...

Again I don't see the problem in his case, if you are able to respond to PM from Devs then there is nothing anyone can do.

Its Arena Nets problem for creating to many tools to allow someone to play the game while doing something else like watching a movie.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Read his youtube title.

He has to click the turret skill himself this by definition makes him not AFK (which is why he uses Engineer as appose to Necromancer). The YouTube name is a bit of a troll and even in the video he states that the Necro players are truly AFK.

53 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

He has to click the turret skill himself this by definition makes him not AFK (which is why he uses Engineer as appose to Necromancer). The YouTube name is a bit of a troll and even in the video he states that the Necro players are truly AFK.

dont know exactly the single turret duration , it isnt specified in the tooltip , i know the ult is on a 60 sec duration , but still , you can go afk while your mech can target mobs when they deal damage to you or him , so he can be afk even if no turrets are around . In this video i really feel like he is making a sorry excuse , to prove he is not really afk , while he could be.

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

dont know exactly the single turret duration , it isnt specified in the tooltip , i know the ult is on a 60 sec duration , but still , you can go afk while your mech can target mobs when they deal damage to you or him , so he can be afk even if no turrets are around . In this video i really feel like he is making a sorry excuse , to prove he is not really afk , while he could be.

I mean like I said the turrets do need to be recast unlike Necromancer minions so as long as he does then Arena Net can do nothing.

I mean anything less than removing minions from the game there is really nothing anyone can do to stop this. Even if they got a copper per hour, with enough people farming it will add up.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 2

there's certain areas in the living world 4 maps I wont even go  visit anymore while trying to farm karma.  There is no point because they are over run with semi afk farmers.  We hear,  report and move on....  well I have and no, I can't say I know what anet has done or not done.  What I can say is for the last 4 months anet has done nothing to curtail passive farming in fact it's got worse over the last couple of months.  But like someone mentioned it really is anets fault for giving the tools to make this possible.  I love the game,  been playing GW1/2  since 2006.  I believe someday things will be set right.

Edited by Daniyyel.3428
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Daniyyel.3428 said:

I believe someday things will be set right.

I sincerely hope things will not "be set right", because the only feasible ways I see that happening are

1. entirely removing minion styles of gameplay,
  2. making minions entirely dependent on active player input (which kind of defeats the purpose of minion builds in gaming),
  3. gutting rewards and loot (punishing everyone for the actions of a minority), or 
  4. implementing a super stringent, automatic anti-afk kick function that results in a lot of false positives.

I don't want any of these outcomes. I want to make it clear: I'm not an afk farmer myself, I do not like the practice, and in a perfect world I'd prefer to see it gone from GW2. But in our imperfect world, I really can't think of a way to do it without destroying minion/pet/turret playstyles or destroying drops and loot for non-afk players. I don't think the benefit of such measures would be worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I honestly don't really mind afk farmers, they're not hurting me and even in the case where they might impede heart progress, just get kills on the mobs/do objectives faster than them since they're idling and not really doing much damage to mobs. 

Better to just leave them be imo cause for the most part they're out of sight out of mind unless you're joining dead lab instances.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

They despawn 5 mins after placed

Honestly the gold per hour for Real AFK is pretty bad.

If someone wants the best tip for AFK farming (well you are not afk). Its to just bind a macro and follow a Boss or Meta event around. It will net you way more gold per hour.

There are couple of maps that will have NPC's that can resurrect you like in Bitterfrost so you can just not really play an entire meta and Teleport to collect the chests.

Edited by Mell.4873