November 29 Balance Update Preview

Double Tap.3940

I'm just not understanding the idea behind kneel at all. It's a skill that takes up a skill slot to turn the normal skill bar for rifle DE into a new skill bar. So, we have that but other classes that have a similar mechanic, even Spectre - have a separate button outside of the skill bar to make those changes. So we have a wasted skill slot, first of all. Second of all, how does 75% reduced movement taking the place of stationary help? My tone isn't anger. I'm just trying to understand what the thought process is that got us here. 

It would make more sense as "Prone" - a mechanic with a timer that fills up with each critical hit that allows the DE to take shots unnoticed with increased accuracy, crit hit % and crit dmg % until either you miss or your Prone timer runs out - or something, anything that's just a better idea than kneel. You want to give us that sniper feel but we feel the class is weak and punishing to play. 

So, doing something as simple as well, doing nothing in all reality just doesn't help in my opinion. It's easy to see the kneel mechanic just sucks. Period.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Summarizing my thoughts on the Ele scepter changes better:

Ele needs versatile weapons, or weapon swap.

Ele doesn’t have weapon swap because it has the attunements. The attunements are supposed to offer flexibility. This means that weapons for Ele can’t be as focused as for other professions. Especially not when Ele has so few weapons. 

I don’t like the change to water trident or dragons tooth because it makes the weapon dead for heal tempest. I wouldn’t consider giving any Ele build fewer options to be a good thing. The profession already has few to start with. If we compare this to Engi, they have kits which decreases the issue of narrow weapon options. Perhaps improving conjures could fill the space attunements lose, but just narrowing the scope of Ele weapons isn’t a good change.

Also please fix the method and ease of boon application for non FB/Mech supports please. I really don’t want to wait till January or whenever for these builds to be remotely enjoyable. Spamming my skills regardless of their function is the opposite of reactive and fun gameplay.

Edited by Flapjackson.1596
  • Like 3

Very hyped for these changes! They're looking really solid.
Stoic Demeanor, Quickfire, Loremaster changes with the tomes sharing pages is really cool! More pDPS and cDPS updates for Herald, oh yeah! 😄

Few things I'm still missing though:
- Revenant/Herald: Moved Quickness from Dragonic Echo to Shared Empowerment.
- Elementalist/Tempest: Lucid singulariy: Pulse out Alacrity with overloads instead of on finishing an overload.

Edited by Vampiremax.8350
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Stadsport.8714 said:

Power Berserker needs to be buffed in other ways, or maybe just core Warrior does. [...] It may just be that we need increases to the damage multipliers to axes, if not most/all  weapons for Warrior.

No. At this point they should only touch berserker-specific stuff, like traits, utilities and primal bursts. Changing any core weapon skills is going to have a collateral effect on bladesworn and spellbreaker, which are both already is a good spot.

I know how bad it looks. I know that it sounds insane that a spec needs a whooping 40% damage buff to stay competitive with other dps classes. But that's just indicative of the rampant powercreep, powercreep that warriors haven't kept up with over the years of stagnation under banners. They can try to bring every other spec down (be it every other warrior spec, or every other spec in the entire game, your choice), or they they can bump up just the one spec that needs help. I know which option would I prefer.

it also means when you're NOT in berserk, you'd be back down to doing absolutely pitiful DPS.

And this is GOOD. Staying in berserk as long as possible needs to be emphasized. If they don't do that, if they don't make you dedicate your utility slots to extending berserk - you're back to bannerslave mode, where your utilities are so useless that you lose little-to-nothing from switching them to banners. Cue groups demanding that you be their quickness provider because "youll have the same dps anyway m8".

Extending berserk as much as possible is an expression of skill.

Extending berserk as much as possible while also having your utilities available to CC whenever needed is an expression of skill.

Not extending berserk when not needed, when you anticipate an invulnerability phase to happen, so you can let berserk decay, cooldown, and be ready to start again when needed - is an expression of skill.

But by keeping it down in raw numbers alone, it feels like ANet is very clearly communicating to the playerbase not to play Berserker, or even just Warrior. I don't know how else we're supposed to interpret that message.

That's how I interpret it too. Numbers were berserker's only problem 6 months ago, and they still are its main problem now. But instead of buffing numbers - they're making design changes. I can only hope that these design changes chase the goal of making this spec usable in PvP and WvW, and aren't done just for the hell of it, because the devs are incapable of realizing that it's numbers and numbers alone holding berserker down in PvE.

What I'm much more worried about is that the devs have a mandate to keep EoD specs strictly better than HoT and PoF specs to encourage the purchase of the latest expansion. If this is the case, then no matter how much we cry about it - berserker and spellbreaker will always linger behind bladesworn, at least until the next expansion...

Edited by ZEUStiger.3590
  • Like 1

While all these balance changes affects some of the more problematic things it does nothing to solve the preoblem that's the elephant in the room, basic functionality.

Even with the changes to Firebrand a Specter will still be the objectively worst choice of support. In order to provide adequate support they have to blow their Utility skills constantly, which means that the Boons given by their Wells are utility is wasted unles the happen to coincide with the need for them.

Unless the main support gives their main utility via their Profession mechanics they're going to be bad relatively to other Professions who do.

X type of skill that are only available in one kind that triggers a Trait should also be changed so that Profession mechanics also triggered them or and/or made default in some way.

An example, Engineer Explosion, every third consequtive Auto Attack should trigger an explosion so the Skiulls were just in addition instead of the sole activator.

Another, Warrior Strength, Peak Performance should be activated via Burst Skills with Physical Skills being an additional activator.

Etc etc.

Likewise Specter should activate their Alac via entering and exiting Shadowform so they could use their Wells for actual utility.

Warrior Banners should have a Rally flip-over use so they when planted gave their pulse effect and then their situational effect would be on the Rally use. For example, Banner of Tactics, should only give the Super Speed and Stability on Rally instead of on drop since there's no control over it if it's on drop.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Double Tap said:

• Mechanical Genius: Combat attribute bonuses to the mech are now reduced by 50% if the engineer is more than a range of 360 away from the mech for a certain amount of time.

How about you fix first that the mech gets stuck on different platforms (eg on fractal 98, 99) and doesn't "Return" unless you recall it first and then spawn it again which wastes a ton of dps.

Fix that first and then we can discuss nerfing it based on distance.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jcgreece.6870 said:

How about you fix first that the mech gets stuck on different platforms (eg on fractal 98, 99) and doesn't "Return" unless you recall it first and then spawn it again which wastes a ton of dps.

Fix that first and then we can discuss nerfing it based on distance.

To be fair it never gets stuck on the platforms in 98, it just paths the long way down instead >.<

I've taken to despawning it when I jump from a platform in 98 and 99 so I can at least crash it down on someone.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

To be fair it never gets stuck on the platforms in 98, it just paths the long way down instead >.<

I've taken to despawning it when I jump from a platform in 98 and 99 so I can at least crash it down on someone.

It can get stuck on 98 on the first boss on the platform where mistlock is. Not every time but it has happened a few so far. Also it doesn't happen only in fractals.

Also want to add to my previous reply. DE is supposed to be a master with the rifle but when you play rifle DE in OW you feel punished just for using the weapon. DE makes better use of p/p and even p/d. On the other hand, other classes utilize rifle better than DE - so this rifle master class isn't really that if it doesn't use rifle well and plays better with other weapons. And let's not forget, using other weapons with the DE kinda circumvents the entire dev concept behind the DE - allowing thief to use rifle, which again, actually makes the class lesser.

As a primarily OW player, I don't care a whole lot about Snowcrow benches at the golem, or pylons. I want to have fun in the OW. I primarily play thief and I want to play it with a rifle, so DE is perfect for me, but I don't play it because it's not fun and that's frustrating.

Just some things to think about - if you do in fact consider any of these replies. 

• Like 2

Those Mech changes will be incredibly frustrating due to the Mech AI movement being extremely volatile. Not to mention, it will be a major pain to find 'your Mech' in the crowded particle effect soup called GW2's combat system, among the other Mechs. At the very least, introduce a system where you can change the colour of your Mech so that you can identify which one is yours.

Though, honestly, I think a flat damage nerf is preferable. 

Edited by Raap.9065
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure its worth it to write this, seeing as the thread already has 15 pages, but here we go.

The two classes I like and play the most are warrior and thief so I will focus on those.

Lets start with the least bad - warrior:

As warrior players have been telling from the moment it was proposed, the Wild Blow change is terrible. We lost one of the very few enemy-movement options which provided utility in pve. Now we are forced to choose between Stomp (long cd, does almost no damage, ground-target and hard to aim the direction of movement, less breakbar damage), and Kick (does essentially no damage, less breakbar damage), while also losing adrenaline and other opportunity-cost effects of Wild Blow. I will re-iterate that this change was completely uncalled for and gimps utility of a spec that already barely has any.

The thief changes are even worse.

I am aware of the hate deadeyes get in wvw, but if their range is an issue in wvw/pvp then it should be adjusted in those modes, preferably without destroying the spec in pve.

Lets take a look at long-ranged weapons of other classes:

Engineer Rifle - 1200 range on most skills (800 on Blunderbuss), AA pierces, full movement with additional mobility options.

Ranger longbow - 1500 range all damage skills (and Point-Blank Shot has 1200 range lmao), full movement, can pierce on all skills with a trait.

Guardian Longbow - 1200+ range on all skills (True Shot at 1500), full movement, pierces on all skills.

Warrior Longbow - 1200 range on all skills, Fan of Fire pierces, full movement.

And now lets compare that to old rifle, and the proposed changes:

Old Rifle - 1200 range on all skills with full mobility, Skirmisher's Shot pierces, AA doesn't pierce, Death's Judgment doesn't pierce, Double Tap doesn't pierce.

Old Rifle (Kneel) - 1500 range on all skills, cant move except by dodging/shadowstepping, Spotter's Shot pierces, AA doesnt pierce, Death's Judgment doesn't pierce.

The proposed changes can be broken down as following:

- Kneel - can move at 25% speed now, doesn't break from CC, initiative cost doubled (very controversial change, more below)

- Death's Judgement -  now pierces (finally, good)

- Death's Judgement -  range is reduced to 1200 (why?)

- Death's Judgement -  damage dealt to unmarked enemies is reduced (why?)

- Death's Judgement - can now move while casting it (unnecessary with 1/2 sec cast time, why?)

- Skirmisher's Shot - range is reduced to 1200 (probably meant Spotter's Shot, since Skirmisher's Shot is already 1200. Shows how much care went into the changes... also why?)

- Three Round Burst - range is reduced to 1200 (why?)

As we can see, there is 1 (arguably 2) long-overdue buffs, and like 5 nerfs.

Now lets shift our focus on the bigger picture - what is deadeye's problem in pve? On the surface (and what most struggle most at first) it seems to be mobility. Being rooted in place to get access to your best dps skills, only marginally offset by increased range, takes getting used to. Surely being able to move while Kneeled would solve the problem?

But after playing for a while, especially in high-end pve content, you realize that most of the fights are actually relatively stationary. Sure being able to maintain full dps on the go is nice, but many specs lose dps when forced to move, so its not a unique problem. Additionally, being ranged (and having the longest effective dps range, if only marginally) allows you to delay movement (and maintain dps) until its absolutely necessary. Compare that to any full-melee power spec whose dps goes to zero the moment target moves more than 300 units. That is all to say that (temporarily) being unable to move is not such big a deal if the benefits are big enough.

So what is deadeye's problem? Ironically, its forced movement. Deadeye heavily relies on the stealth from Silent Scope to cast Death's Judgement, which results in constant back-and-forth dodging during rotation, when other classes can stay still. In many fights moving around too much is potentially lethal, so deadeyes (just like our daredevil comrades) have to watch very carefully where they dodge since any mistake in positioning would mean either having to expend another dodge to not die, or un-kneel and re-kneel interrupting rotation.

So what do I propose?

- Range reduction on rifle skills is completely unwarranted in pve (it may be warranted in pvp/wvw but I cannot comment on those modes). It makes the dedicated sniper-rifle spec shorter-ranged than even kitten longbows, completely destroying class-fantasy and the entire premise of the spec. It removes part of the reason to even use Kneel in the first place, reducing it to a glorified kit-toggle with a downside. If anything, only getting 300 units of range is too low of a benefit on its own, and I would like to see 2000 range on Kneeled rifle skills, even though I understand the possible issues in pvp modes.

- Rifle skills need much more piercing. Death's Judgement should've had piercing from the very beginning. If you dps skills cant hit the marked target (because there is someone in the way, and none of your skills pierce) you don't get malice forcing you to either waste initiative, or stop dps completely until the body-blocking enemy goes away. Ideally, every skill on a god-kitten sniper rifle should pierce.

- Kneel changes are a minor convenience at best and useless in most cases. We need more control over our mobility.

25% movement speed will only help you if you are at the very edge on an aoe circle. It will not allow you to move between Qadim platforms or Vale Guardian pizza slices. In wast majority of cases where you need to move you will still have to toggle Kneel, just like before. One way to solve this is to rework the absolutely useless Sniper's Cower skill into a medium-range short cooldown shadowstep, allowing a Kneeled deadeye to reposition every so often without having to toggle Kneel. Or maybe make it apply 1s of stealth as another way to cast Death's Judgement. Another would be to rework Silent Scope so we are not reliant on it in our rotation, allowing deadeyes stay completely still when needed, and dodge when actually required, without having to roll all over the place as part of our rotation.

There are many ways to solve the deadeye problems without destroying spec fantasy, but the ones in this patch are not it. Please reconsider these changes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Kind of don't understand the Deadeye changes. Range shouldn't been getting reduced, since we're talking about a sniper class - if anything, that should be one of its core attractive features -, and Kneel is kind of all over the place. I don't really understand why you upped its cost since it's basically a kit that allows the Deadeye to do what Deadeye is supposed to do.  It should really just be moved to F5 and be replaced with a new movement spell in its former place.

If you really want to nerf range, maybe apply some form of damage falloff past a certain point? I feel like a Deadeye's field of view should be a source of concern, that's kind of the whole thing with snipers. You can make that falloff harsher in competitive modes, and a bit less harsh in PvE. Just don't force that spec to go up close and personal.

Edited by Dotveg.5108
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Devs.  I started playing this game about 4 months ago and was here for the massive uproar over the summer patch, from which it seems you not only learned nothing, but are doubling down.  FB is so excellently built and conceived, that of course, it couldn't have been made by this tone deaf team!.  Exploring other games and have found:

1. POE is in a firestorm for nerfing.  POE 2 is in development. Hmmmm

2. Griffons can fly in other games

3. Other MMO's actually care about the new player experience and improve their Firebrand and Mech like toons for ease of use.....BECAUSE THAT MAKES PLAYERS HAPPY????!!!1

With partnered mouthpieces as vloggers you won't get the real feedback, so let me be clear......thanks for the time back, as this unpolished mess which should be great, is more concerned with devaluing player investment and killing the so called 'meta', and it's gem store, than the player's enjoyment??? Marx wrote a 'manifesto' looks like you stole from it!  How does nerfing Mech and FB help any other class???!!!  I see every class every day in this game, those 2 aren't meta in PVP, and I here 0 outcry from any player in the game about them except Mukkaluk......but EOD Willbender will be 'improved', like  Untamed....smh.  Hopefully Ashes of Creation learns something from this move towards 'gacha' game gimmicks, but I doubt it.  Back to NWN2 (where thankfully, I am the dev!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Dragonhunter

• Heavy Light: This trait now gives a 10% damage increase when striking defiant foes, in addition to its previous effect. These bonuses do not stack.

Do the same with boons !

Remove the effectiveness of basic form Boons (20% quickness) , and based on the complexity of the Class (Ele) , they get bonus Quickness (for some reason it bugs and don't show the numbers) .

Edited by Noir.8561
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

PLEASE don't remove Water Trident's ability to heal allies. It was so incredible for Heal Tempest to be able to ranged heal, something it used to be very weak at before the last round of balance changes! This change to make it a selfish heal pretty much kills Scepter as an option for that build!

I'm also here to bag you not to KILL heal ele, it's already hard enough to get into raid groups when people only see you as the most cursed class in the game. Not to mention it's definitely the weakest heal alac in the game. You only have access to alac IF you FINISH a 5 second channel and we can't take our strongest heal trait Elemental Bastion because it's mandatory to bring a critical boon via Lucid Singularity.

Can I also just say it felt really good to be able to heal people outside your sub group because you can ground target them. I have saved so many teammates in raids this way. Only in those few moments people were like "hmm. maybe ele isn't so cursed and we don't want HB or HAM 100% of the time..."

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Storub.5907 said:

I'm not sure its worth it to write this, seeing as the thread already has 15 pages, but here we go.

The two classes I like and play the most are warrior and thief so I will focus on those.

As warrior players have been telling from the moment it was proposed, the Wild Blow change is terrible. We lost one of the very few enemy-movement options which provided utility in pve. Now we are forced to choose between Stomp (long cd, does almost no damage, ground-target and hard to aim the direction of movement, less breakbar damage), and Kick (does essentially no damage, less breakbar damage), while also losing adrenaline and other opportunity-cost effects of Wild Blow. I will re-iterate that this change was completely uncalled for and gimps utility of a spec that already barely has any.

The thief changes are even worse.

I am aware of the hate deadeyes get in wvw, but if their range is an issue in wvw/pvp then it should be adjusted in those modes, preferably without destroying the spec in pve.

Lets take a look at long-ranged weapons of other classes:

Engineer Rifle - 1200 range on most skills (800 on Blunderbuss), AA pierces, full movement with additional mobility options.

Ranger longbow - 1500 range all damage skills (and Point-Blank Shot has 1200 range lmao), full movement, can pierce on all skills with a trait.

Guardian Longbow - 1200+ range on all skills (True Shot at 1500), full movement, pierces on all skills.

Warrior Longbow - 1200 range on all skills, Fan of Fire pierces, full movement.

And now lets compare that to old rifle, and the proposed changes:

Old Rifle - 1200 range on all skills with full mobility, Skirmisher's Shot pierces, AA doesn't pierce, Death's Judgment doesn't pierce, Double Tap doesn't pierce.

Old Rifle (Kneel) - 1500 range on all skills, cant move except by dodging/shadowstepping, Spotter's Shot pierces, AA doesnt pierce, Death's Judgment doesn't pierce.

The proposed changes can be broken down as following:

- Kneel - can move at 25% speed now, doesn't break from CC, initiative cost doubled (very controversial change, more below)

- Death's Judgement -  now pierces (finally, good)

- Death's Judgement -  range is reduced to 1200 (why?)

- Death's Judgement -  damage dealt to unmarked enemies is reduced (why?)

- Death's Judgement - can now move while casting it (unnecessary with 1/2 sec cast time, why?)

- Skirmisher's Shot - range is reduced to 1200 (probably meant Spotter's Shot, since Skirmisher's Shot is already 1200. Shows how much care went into the changes... also why?)

- Three Round Burst - range is reduced to 1200 (why?)

As we can see, there is 1 (arguably 2) long-overdue buffs, and like 5 nerfs.

Now lets shift our focus on the bigger picture - what is deadeye's problem in pve? On the surface (and what most struggle most at first) it seems to be mobility. Being rooted in place to get access to your best dps skills, only marginally offset by increased range, takes getting used to. Surely being able to move while Kneeled would solve the problem?

But after playing for a while, especially in high-end pve content, you realize that most of the fights are actually relatively stationary. Sure being able to maintain full dps on the go is nice, but many specs lose dps when forced to move, so its not a unique problem. Additionally, being ranged (and having the longest effective dps range, if only marginally) allows you to delay movement (and maintain dps) until its absolutely necessary. Compare that to any full-melee power spec whose dps goes to zero the moment target moves more than 300 units. That is all to say that (temporarily) being unable to move is not such big a deal if the benefits are big enough.

So what is deadeye's problem? Ironically, its forced movement. Deadeye heavily relies on the stealth from Silent Scope to cast Death's Judgement, which results in constant back-and-forth dodging during rotation, when other classes can stay still. In many fights moving around too much is potentially lethal, so deadeyes (just like our daredevil comrades) have to watch very carefully where they dodge since any mistake in positioning would mean either having to expend another dodge to not die, or un-kneel and re-kneel interrupting rotation.

So what do I propose?

- Range reduction on rifle skills is completely unwarranted in pve (it may be warranted in pvp/wvw but I cannot comment on those modes). It makes the dedicated sniper-rifle spec shorter-ranged than even kitten longbows, completely destroying class-fantasy and the entire premise of the spec. It removes part of the reason to even use Kneel in the first place, reducing it to a glorified kit-toggle with a downside. If anything, only getting 300 units of range is too low of a benefit on its own, and I would like to see 2000 range on Kneeled rifle skills, even though I understand the possible issues in pvp modes.

- Rifle skills need much more piercing. Death's Judgement should've had piercing from the very beginning. If you dps skills cant hit the marked target (because there is someone in the way, and none of your skills pierce) you don't get malice forcing you to either waste initiative, or stop dps completely until the body-blocking enemy goes away. Ideally, every skill on a god-kitten sniper rifle should pierce.

- Kneel changes are a minor convenience at best and useless in most cases. We need more control over our mobility.

25% movement speed will only help you if you are at the very edge on an aoe circle. It will not allow you to move between Qadim platforms or Vale Guardian pizza slices. In wast majority of cases where you need to move you will still have to toggle Kneel, just like before. One way to solve this is to rework the absolutely useless Sniper's Cower skill into a medium-range short cooldown shadowstep, allowing a Kneeled deadeye to reposition every so often without having to toggle Kneel. Or maybe make it apply 1s of stealth as another way to cast Death's Judgement. Another would be to rework Silent Scope so we are not reliant on it in our rotation, allowing deadeyes stay completely still when needed, and dodge when actually required, without having to roll all over the place as part of our rotation.

There are many ways to solve the deadeye problems without destroying spec fantasy, but the ones in this patch are not it. Please reconsider these changes.

I think this is a great post and a lot to consider. Kneel as a mechanic can make sense but kneel as skill does not. It really needs a rework in my opinion because DE simply plays better and is more fun with other weapons, which circumvents the entire dev concept for DE - a sniper class/rifle master; that doesn't do anything good with a rifle.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Storub.5907 said:

I completely agree with your assessment of the Wild Blow change. Warrior already had a ton of ways to knock enemies down, and has VERY few ways to really knock something far away. The Wild Blow change removed utility options on a class that already barely had any.

• Like 1

Hey CMC. Why don't you review your heal warrior and heal vindicator in PVE. Heal warrior needs group protection boon in one of the banners cus currently none, make a healing banner that gives Regen, rework the tactic traits cus the skills there are pretty useless and weird, put the double standard from discipline to tactic trait so that heal warrior won't need to always need to carry discipline trait. Rework mending might to also heal allies. Rework spellbreaker make it to heal and support allies.

For heal vindicator you left this spec half naked no access to quickness or alacrity. You said you want diversity then give all classes a good heal support build with alacrity or quickness. 

Increase the radius of alacrity to 600 just like quickness cus it doesn't makes sense to keep it at 360. It is unfair tanking with healquick like hb or heal herald is more preferred due to 600 radius. 

What kind of dev or balance team are you? You are slow to make changes on the game. It's like time not important to you at all. You want your players to keep waiting forever. Soon you will be eaten by the many upcoming mmorpg and here you are still slow to act. I thought you're going all out on Nov 29th but nope. 

Edited by kawaiiboy.2685
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Specter in pvp is a joke currently.

Not only the shroud got nerfed with the october patch but also any traitline interacting with it , causing them to be now useless. Hungering Darkness triggers one time if you are lucky. I dont see how giving my ally 3k healing when he gets struck by an attack that would kill him is going to safe him that much. Also specter gets now affected twice in terms of lifeforce since you guys nerfed before lowering the shroud hp all traitlines that give lifeforce. Impressive how you destroyed in pvp within one patch with one change basically every traitline of specter and its sustain. So yes, if you ask me you should add the 33% dmg reduction to specter in pvp and im not even sure if its gonna do the job to make it good enough. 

• Like 2

Hi nice touch on banner of tactics! Could it maybe also break stun for the user too? Would be nice to have this as a second stunbreak in pvp support warriors. The aoe stab would maybe bring it a bit closer to meta supports like guard. Also maybe some aoe projectile block would be nice (also something most meta supps have).