Crash loading character [Merged]

1 hour ago, Romen.4560 said:

I can also confirm that the game crashes as soon as you turn the Shadows setting back to Ultra while in-game.

And on top of that, Discord crashes with it! :classic_wacko:
This crash on Ultra Shadows might be corrupting other programs using the GPU so it might be a good idea to reboot your computer to avoid unexpected weirdness in other programs if you've seen this crash.

I also had Discord crash along with the client. I tried a bunch of stuff from an earlier thread like clearing GW2 cache files and local.dat, but they didn't help. Turning shadows to high and post-processing to low seemed to help so far.

5 hours ago, Skie.8904 said:

Never used any addons. Purist 🙂
Game crashed with heap error upon selecting a character. Different zones and different characters all crash.

Changing Shadows setting from Ultra to High solves it. I'm guessing Ultra is no longer viable and it causes a memory mishap due to being out of bounds.

everything is set to low and still crashes tried setting shadows to high just for giggles but game still crashes no matter which char i try to enter the game with

Some points of info if it's useful:

-crashes occur when shadows are set to ultra on dx11. setting to high solves the problem.

-crashes don't happen with shadows on ultra when dx9 rendering is on. So it might have something to do with the dx11 shadows (on ultra).

Also, I heard from other thread that updating nvidia and windows fixes the problem for this user:

Since I have an amd graphics card which doesn't have available updates today I was unable to fix this problem without the aforementioned method in this thread (setting shadows to high on dx11).

I hope this helps the situation, it would be regrettable not having the option to play with ultra shadows this magnificent game. Cheers!

Edited by The Real Lacho.7652

I also have game crashes, though it can happen with any graphics settings for me, interestingly reinstalling the game reduces the frequency of game crashes, after a while the game starts to crash more and more often until it is so often that I decide to reinstall the game again.

Edited by baseendje.8452
  • Confused 1

Before the today's patch for the post-processing. I wasn't able to get pass after I start the launcher and it only ends in a black screen then crashes. After today's patch, after I start the launcher, the same thing happens but it is a bit better because the UI is now visible and the music is playing but the characters and the background isn't loading properly and crashes after I keep clicking it. I don't know what is happening. I don't have any third party addons and I startup GW2 repair too but still the same thing happens, anyone got any advices?