Crash loading character [Merged]

4 minutes ago, Tyro.8237 said:

That worked for me. Thank you. 

Seconded!  Lowering Shadows from Ultra to High actually worked after multiple crashes.
Not sure I consider it a true gaming experience with a nearly imperceptible decrease in graphic quality j/k 😜
...but it works!  Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Well this is definitely not supposed to be happening. I'm looking into it right now!

INFO!

I logged in on a second PC, which worked.

I then gathered my mail: 3 pieces of mail.

2 were from the Winter Event.

1 was Daily Gathering.

Once they were taken, I could log in on the PC I was crashing on.

Crashing for me too.  No 3rd-party programs.  Mail might be full with the festival notice.

Crashed on login on my alt account too.  That one doesn't have possibility of full mail.

ooo just saw the post about shadow settings...going from ultra to high worked for me!  THANK YOU!

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428

6 minutes ago, Drew The Geek.9613 said:

I'm running a clean program with no third party add-ons. I'm still getting crashes from the character screen.  So I decided to start from scratch. Installed a brand new copy.  Still crashes when attempting to load in from character selection.

I had to log into another PC and remove the Wintersday mail items from my mailbox, and that fixed it for me.

I can also confirm that the game crashes as soon as you turn the Shadows setting back to Ultra while in-game.

And on top of that, Discord crashes with it! :classic_wacko:
This crash on Ultra Shadows might be corrupting other programs using the GPU so it might be a good idea to reboot your computer to avoid unexpected weirdness in other programs if you've seen this crash.

24 minutes ago, Romen.4560 said:

I can also confirm that the game crashes as soon as you turn the Shadows setting back to Ultra while in-game.

And on top of that, Discord crashes with it! :classic_wacko:
This crash on Ultra Shadows might be corrupting other programs using the GPU so it might be a good idea to reboot your computer to avoid unexpected weirdness in other programs if you've seen this crash.

Yeah, I definitely noticed some weirdness in Firefox after GW2 crashed so I took the opportunity to upgrade my GPU drivers before doing a reboot, then changed my in-game settings to High after which I could successfully play the game.

• Like 1