Is weaver better for open world exploration?

Axl.8924

Depends on what you're trying to do here.

If you're committed to staff, the best version IMO is in fact Weaver.

If you're not committed to staff, then it really doesn't matter so long as you're matching traits to weapon to playstyle. Condition Tempest, for example, is really easy to get good value from with a minimum of buttons and you get a four second break from pushing them every so often.

If you're doing  2k damage with some minor burn, this isn't a spec issue, it's everything else. Either you're not hitting your other buttons, or you're hitting ones that do not take advantage of your stats (AKA, some abilities work better with power damage versus condition damage), or you do not have damage stats on your gear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingEsoteric.2067 said:

Depends on what you're trying to do here.

If you're committed to staff, the best version IMO is in fact Weaver.

If you're not committed to staff, then it really doesn't matter so long as you're matching traits to weapon to playstyle. Condition Tempest, for example, is really easy to get good value from with a minimum of buttons and you get a four second break from pushing them every so often.

If you're doing  2k damage with some minor burn, this isn't a spec issue, it's everything else. Either you're not hitting your other buttons, or you're hitting ones that do not take advantage of your stats (AKA, some abilities work better with power damage versus condition damage), or you do not have damage stats on your gear.

I'm trying to unlock all of whats left of weaver. Right now i got swords unlocked on weaver and since this is a new account due to it being connected to steam it means i have no fully unlocked specs on ele yet meaning i don't have tempest either thats my old account which doesn't have path of fire or EOD

8 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

Been using staff and its not helping whatsoever i am doing 2k dmg with a few hundred dmg burn but thats prob not that great i'm doing mostly direct dmg not burn.

A condi build will probably work better.  Alternatively, you could try a different weapon.  Sword weaver works great for open world solo play.  It's very durable with great damage.  Here's a sample build at over 20k DPS while 100% facetanking a champion.

2 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

What kinda gear though?

For condition builds either celestial or trailblazer (solo play) or viper.  For example, the build in the video clip is using trailblazer, which is why it's able to stand there absorbing damage from a champion without even moving or dodging.  However, despite having no power stats it's still able to deal solid damage purely through conditions.  Viper has better damage potential, but you may find in high pressure scenarios (i.e. champ solos) the lack of defensive stats forces you to play too defensively to fully capitalize on it.

If you want to stick with power, your options are more limited.  Berserker is the only way you're going to be able to produce solid damage.  Marauder is okay, but it won't come close to matching condi builds in either sustain or damage output.  As with viper, you may find it difficult to maintain damage while surviving in high pressure solo scenarios using berserker, however.

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

For condition builds either celestial or trailblazer (solo play) or viper.  For example, the build in the video clip is using trailblazer, which is why it's able to stand there absorbing damage from a champion without even moving or dodging.  However, despite having no power stats it's still able to deal solid damage purely through conditions.  Viper has better damage potential, but you may find in high pressure scenarios (i.e. champ solos) the lack of defensive stats forces you to play too defensively to fully capitalize on it.

If you want to stick with power, your options are more limited.  Berserker is the only way you're going to be able to produce solid damage.  Marauder is okay, but it won't come close to matching condi builds in either sustain or damage output.  As with viper, you may find it difficult to maintain damage while surviving in high pressure solo scenarios using berserker, however.

Ok at the moment i am sword/focus fire air weaver 

i'm not sure about best buttons to capitalize on dots like the person did in that video though.

I'm used to playing tempest power fresh air build so thats where my experience lies which is usually fire air tempest with full zerker gear and overload with dagger/warhorn.

Edited by Axl.8924

1 hour ago, Axl.8924 said:

Ok at the moment i am sword/focus fire air weaver 

i'm not sure about best buttons to capitalize on dots like the person did in that video though.

I'm used to playing tempest power fresh air build so thats where my experience lies which is usually fire air tempest with full zerker gear and overload with dagger/warhorn.

So, right now you have berserker gear and you're running fire/air.  You won't get much out of your conditions (or DoTs, to use the WoW term) with this setup.  If you're going to try a power build either BttH or FA, you'll probably want to use dagger offhand.  Here's a link to a rotation guide on how to use BttH power sword: https://snowcrows.com/builds/elementalist/weaver/power-weaver 

If you want to use a condition build like in the video clip I linked above, you'll need to change your gear to something with condition damage (trailblazer or celestial are recommended for solo play, viper if you want to do raids/fractals/strikes).  Focus offhand is preferred for condi builds, but air is a pure power trait line so you'd do better switching to earth or arcane.

Here's a link to a proper condi sword rotation.  It's a bit out of date because sword currently isn't on the meta radar for condition builds in group play, but should still be applicable. 

For a basic opening burst to stack a lot of burning very quickly, you'd start in fire/air (although you can also start in air/earth rotating into fire/air and score some extra bleed and CC against tougher enemies with breakbars).  Your biggest damage move is pyrovortex (fire/air 3) as it applies 8 stacks of burning.  Since you're in fire attunement, also use the glyph of elemental power to add another 5 stacks.  Then use primordial stance as you rotate into fire/fire as this will pulse 2x burn stacks per second.

Here's a sample video of just this opener (pyrovortex + glyph, rotate into fire and use primordial stance, fire signet, and all fire weapon skills).  That was enough to reach 30+ burn stacks and over 20k DPS from burning in 4 seconds, which was enough damage over time to finish this veteran vinetooth without any further input from me.  So, you're already off to a very good start with this simple sequence!

You might also consider scepter condi weaver, which is currently meta for DPS in fractals/raids/strikes: https://snowcrows.com/builds/elementalist/weaver/condition-weaver

41 minutes ago, Axl.8924 said:

I was aiming for condi not power ok so for open world scepter better defensively or no?

I wouldn't say so, no.  The main defensive advantage of scepter over sword is that it has 900 range where sword is melee.  Sword/focus is a very strong defensive set with access to extra evades, invuln, projectile block and reflect, and a water field for heal combos.  You also generate significant amounts of barrier with elemental refreshment and lava skin as well as a lot of passive healing from your heal signet. 

On 1/1/2023 at 8:11 AM, Axl.8924 said:

Been using staff and its not helping whatsoever i am doing 2k dmg with a few hundred dmg burn but thats prob not that great i'm doing mostly direct dmg not burn.

a sword/x weaver build with condition damage is ok. 

you can pick celestial or viper if you like dying a lot, or like filling your utility slots with invulns and movement skills instead of damage.

you can pick trailblazer or rabid / dire if you actually want to survive long enough for the bleeds and burns to kill things, and be able to face most openworld champion or miniboss fights without dying. probably. just stack as many bleeds and burns as possible, those are your bread and butter.

and then of course i have to mention, you can pick basically any other class and vipers and deal more condition damage, and almost never die as well, with a quarter of the key inputs required.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, SinisterSeven.2781 said:

a sword/x weaver build with condition damage is ok. 

you can pick celestial or viper if you like dying a lot, or like filling your utility slots with invulns and movement skills instead of damage.

you can pick trailblazer or rabid / dire if you actually want to survive long enough for the bleeds and burns to kill things, and be able to face most openworld champion or miniboss fights without dying. probably. just stack as many bleeds and burns as possible, those are your bread and butter.

and then of course i have to mention, you can pick basically any other class and vipers and deal more condition damage, and almost never die as well, with a quarter of the key inputs required.

I am having a tough time learning but i might be starting to get the hang of it. Staff seems to do quite a lot of damage if i manage to catch enemies with multiple aoes stacked onto 1 area. i managed to get smoething like 4-5k burns.

I'm using scepter/dagger fresh air weaver in open world because of the balance of 1) being mobile (switching between fire and air on cd and getting the superspeed, and weaver has the shortest cd for switching elements), and 2) being able to tag things easily for things like dragonfall. 

Fresh air tempest and catalyst is almost as good but they're just a tad bit slower.

For staff though I think catalyst would be best because of the elite skill that resets cds for the meteor storm, and just because it has access to the jade spheres for more tagging. 

About your problem with the low damage, I think you'd need to update your gear for that based on the limited info we have.

Edited by HowlKamui.5120

On 1/11/2023 at 5:17 AM, HowlKamui.5120 said:

I'm using scepter/dagger fresh air weaver in open world because of the balance of 1) being mobile (switching between fire and air on cd and getting the superspeed, and weaver has the shortest cd for switching elements), and 2) being able to tag things easily for things like dragonfall. 

Fresh air tempest and catalyst is almost as good but they're just a tad bit slower.

For staff though I think catalyst would be best because of the elite skill that resets cds for the meteor storm, and just because it has access to the jade spheres for more tagging. 

About your problem with the low damage, I think you'd need to update your gear for that based on the limited info we have.

Yeah my guildy told me to change to valkrie i also did say i don't have everything unlocked yet almost fully unlocked weaver.

Do i want unravel for condi?

6 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

Yeah my guildy told me to change to valkrie i also did say i don't have everything unlocked yet almost fully unlocked weaver.

Do i want unravel for condi?

Valkyrie is an option for power builds, but you'll probably want to do a mix of marauder and valkyrie with the idea being that you cap out your crit rate at 100%.  The problem as I see it is that it will be difficult to reliably stack and maintain might in solo play.  That's essentially a double hit to your damage output on power builds due to the design of the Power Overwhelming trait, which requires you to maintain a minimum of 10 stacks of might or lose out on 150-300 additional power.

At that point, you're almost certainly better off going with a condi build.  Builds like celestial fire/arcane and trailblazer fire/earth can output ~20k DPS while having dramatically better sustain than a power valk/marauder build which will likely struggle to even get close to those numbers.  That's for sword, but I expect you should see similar results with scepter as even camping fire on tempest can manage ~15k (which is a dead easy and survivable build if you're looking for that ranged wizard-style combat fix!). 

As for staff, I don't use it but given the fairly competitive benchmark of condi staff I would be surprised if 15-20k range weren't manageable running a high sustain condi build just as it is with the other ele weapons on weaver.

2 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Problems with might can easily be resolved with aristocracy runes combined with weakness application from weaver traits. 

True.  But that also favors condi builds as aristocracy is a condi rune.  You're going to deal better damage (and have much better sustain) running celestial paired with aristocracy on a condi build than marauder/valk with aristocracy on a power build. 

• Like 1

Here's condi weaver (sword/focus) soloing Balthazar HP in 57 seconds using nothing but green gear.  Every item including food and item upgrades used in this build cost under 10 silver on the trading post.    If you're unsure about condi sword maybe give this one a try.  Worst case scenario:  You wasted some silver.  But if you can get the hang of it, this is a really versatile and fun build to play with a great balance of offense and defense.  Even in trash gear!

Build:

Fire - 1-1-2

Arcane - 3-3-1

Weaver 3-1-3

Gear: Cheapest level 80 rabid/dire greens available (pick the level 75 version for the backpack to save some silver), Balthazar runes, generosity, agony, and corruption sigils, Echovald resin for gem sockets, cheap condi food/utility.