Is berserker viable this patch?

Kuma.1503

In my quest to play more Warrior, I decided to try out Berserker. 

I've been having a LOT of fun with Warrior, despite how much I currently suck on it, and I've noticed that Berserker feels a lot better than it did before the trait reworks. I'm not sure if it felt good because I'm accustomed to playing underperforming builds (like core engi) or if it's actually decent. 

This is the build I'm working with for now. To any warrior mains, I appologize in advance for any cringe exposing your eyes to this may bring. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAIFlJwwYJsRmJe+X+tfA-zZILkMzgSDhuLANGAA

Edited by Kuma.1503

46 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

In my quest to play more Warrior, I decided to try out Berserker. 

I've been having a LOT of fun with Warrior, despite how much I currently suck on it, and I've noticed that Berserker feels a lot better than it did before the trait reworks. I'm not sure if it felt good because I'm accustomed to playing underperforming builds (like core engi) or if it's actually decent. 

This is the build I'm working with for now. To any warrior mains, I appologize in advance for any cringe exposing your eyes to this may bring. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAIFlJwwYJsRmJe+X+tfA-zZILkMzgSDhuLANGAA

Wouldn't you use strength instead of discipline for quickness and great sword bonuses?

like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAIFlJwwYJsRmJOyP/tfA-zZILkMzgSDhuLANGAA

to try answer your question it would be a good counter to some of the metas because of amount of stunbreaks it has. (maybe)

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Thanks 1

I have been torn between strength and discipline. Both have traits I like.

I love the quick weapon swaps and extra cleanses, movement speed, and lower berserk CD you get from discipline. Swiftness is also nice.

But Strength = fast bonk. And better synergy with greatsword and physical skills. When I use it I take peak performance over Brave Stride because with all of my stunbreaks and Stalwart Strength I have no issue with being stunlocked. 

Edit: Going to alternate between both and see how it goes. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1

Hey Kuma,

This is the best build I've found so far:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127777-any-good-new-berzerker-builds-pvp-or-is-it-still-bad/?do=findComment&comment=1853486

Thus far, I find that the power builds a) either do too little damage and are modestly tanky, or b) do great damage and are complete glass. Neither are viable at the moment.  You could probably put together some B tier GS + Axe/shield build, but I think you'll find that SpB just does it better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Hey Kuma,

This is the best build I've found so far:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127777-any-good-new-berzerker-builds-pvp-or-is-it-still-bad/?do=findComment&comment=1853486

Thus far, I find that the power builds a) either do too little damage and are modestly tanky, or b) do great damage and are complete glass. Neither are viable at the moment.  You could probably put together some B tier GS + Axe/shield build, but I think you'll find that SpB just does it better.

Thanks! I'll definitely try your build out. I see that it's condi... which means I'll also try running it with Cele stats in WvW. 

10 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Thanks! I'll definitely try your build out. I see that it's condi... which means I'll also try running it with Cele stats in WvW. 

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

A quick mechanical tip in case you are unfamiliar with condizerker (please disregard if you are):
King of Fires generates fire auras and detonates them when you use any berserker skill (including torch skills, primal bursts, or rage skills--but not entering berserk mode itself, for reasons that remain stupid) for AoE burning.  The trait itself generates fire auras itself on critical hit (15s CD); you can, of course, generate auras yourself by leaping with torch 5 active or through a longbow fire field.

Well, Sundering Leap acts both as a leap AND the detonating zerker skill for KoF.  It appears that KoF detonates the fire aura at the conclusion of the zerker skill; thus, when you initiate SL, you gain fire aura, and when you land, you detonate it.  This makes Torch 5>>sundering leap a great (but predictable) way to engage.  SL also generates up to 20 adrenaline if it hits, so that helps you get into zerker mode faster as well.

Another fun and sometimes useful combo is:

Torch 5 >> Bulls Charge [generates FA] >> Torch 4 [Detonates] >> Sword 2 [generates] >> Headbutt [detonates]>>Berserk Mode >>Flaming Flurry.

You can stack 18-20 burns while CC locking the target while doing this. Obviously, a single stunbreak ruins the chain, but you catch people without stunbreaks more often than you might think, so it can be a good finisher.  And even a partial combo can still be very damaging.  It also works great on the beasts of Niflhel.

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Kuma.1503 Why Divinity Runes?

It is a pretty standard picks for traits and utilities, but the Divinity Runes seem out of place.

They're my "I haven't decided what rune to use yet so I'll use this" Rune. 

Is rune of fighter any good?

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

A quick mechanical tip in case you are unfamiliar with condizerker (please disregard if you are):
King of Fires generates fire auras and detonates them when you use any berserker skill (including torch skills, primal bursts, or rage skills--but not entering berserk mode itself, for reasons that remain stupid) for AoE burning.  The trait itself generates fire auras itself on critical hit (15s CD); you can, of course, generate auras yourself by leaping with torch 5 active or through a longbow fire field.

Well, Sundering Leap acts both as a leap AND the detonating zerker skill for KoF.  It appears that KoF detonates the fire aura at the conclusion of the zerker skill; thus, when you initiate SL, you gain fire aura, and when you land, you detonate it.  This makes Torch 5>>sundering leap a great (but predictable) way to engage.  SL also generates up to 20 adrenaline if it hits, so that helps you get into zerker mode faster as well.

Another fun and sometimes useful combo is:

Torch 5 >> Bulls Charge [generates FA] >> Torch 4 [Detonates] >> Sword 2 [generates] >> Headbutt [detonates]>>Berserk Mode >>Flaming Flurry.

You can stack 18-20 burns while CC locking the target while doing this. Obviously, a single stunbreak ruins the chain, but you catch people without stunbreaks more often than you might think, so it can be a good finisher.  And even a partial combo can still be very damaging.  It also works great on the beasts of Niflhel.

Enjoy!!

I did not know this. I'm going to spend some time praciting this against the golems. Thanks!

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1

Haven't played any this patch, but played condi zerk a couple seasons ago to somewhere in the top 50. Peaked at like 25 or so?

If you play an on-elite rune like Krait or Mad King, Headbutt can't be blinded or blocked by aegis. 

I dunno that I'd call condi zerk good but you can get away with a LOT of cheese cause of traits like Defy Pain and Savage Instinct. Nobody expects the trades to go the way they do. Headbutt/Defy Pain's such a short CD combo I never found it worth to give up for Resilient Roll, maybe if there's no power damage on the other team.

Last Blaze is a lot of damage tho if you use zerk skills so giving that up kinda sucks.

Defense condi zerk AND defense power zerk have gotten much better since the patch that allows EC to stow zerk mode. 

I've fought two warriors so far that have gotten notably more durable due to that change. 

I haven't messed with EC yet, but I will this weekend.  This bodes well. Now can we just tap on bloody roar a -smidge-...

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

8 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

They're my "I haven't decided what rune to use yet so I'll use this" Rune. 

Is rune of fighter any good?

It is one of the more picked runes by warriors. Good for defense along with more might, which is tied to Warrior's sustain in two traitlines.

Runes of Vampirism, despite being power runes, end up giving the most HP, especially if you run Strength for Great Fortitude.

If you run with a lot of weakness application then Runes of the Aristocracy will be good, especially on a condi variant.

If you run Last Stand and some stances then Weaver Runes will be a good choice.

Mesmer Runes pair very will with Hammer Zerker, pair it with Sigil of Savagery as the bonus works with daze as well.

If you are taking that warrior into WvW there are some extra rune options available to you that'll expand your gameplay options, but since you put this in the PvP forum and not the warrior forum or WvW forum I won't pontificate further.

• Thanks 1

I find  iterations of condizerker somewhat decent in terms of dps and sustain past few months (even against spellbreakers it seems to perform well).
Not sure how it performs against top players but I don't really care about that, works well in gold elo which is good enough for me.

As CalmTheStorm said, anything on berserker outside of the condizerker builds felt like you had to sacrifice lot of survivability to deal significant damage, although since it is directly tied to burst skill it's not super reliable, compared to the condizerker build which lets you still pressure enemy even if you are not in berserker mode. Perhaps that changed after the EC  change (did not have enough time yet to give it a try).

edit: I would say it's very high risk, potentionally high reward type of playstyle if you opt into something like GS/Hammer on zerker. Can be fun but expect that once you get collapsed on by enemy team, there is very high chance that you will get deleted.
Kind of reminds me the old Windfury in WoW  :classic_smile:

Edited by Greyrat.2378
some more thoughts
  • Like 2

I found the sauce boys! I present the Roaming Power Zerker.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAceFlJwaYJsQWJO2WetbA-zZIPlGVAZKC6VIkwEwEDAA

Great mobility. Great Damage. Okay sustain through invulns and low cooldown heal. Bulls and Sundering can be used defensively too. Save Whirling Axe for exiting zerk mode and chunking with super speed and quickness and stability to generate adrenaline. You can use one core burst right away outside of zerk after whirling axe and still generate enough adrenaline through weapon swaps, sundering even if it misses, and signet of rage to get back in on cooldown without landing a single hit. That’s why I take signet of rage. The tiny ticks also help a lot in zerk mode too if you’re missing just a touch of adrenaline for a primal.

Only thing I would change is headbutt instead of rage for higher risk higher reward or taking dead or alive for lower damage but more sustain. However dead or alive is kind of feast or famine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zuko.7132 said:

Great mobility. Great Damage. Okay sustain through invulns and low cooldown heal. Bulls and Sundering can be used defensively too. Save Whirling Axe for exiting zerk mode and chunking with super speed and quickness and stability to generate adrenaline. You can use one core burst right away outside of zerk after whirling axe and still generate enough adrenaline through weapon swaps, sundering even if it misses, and signet of rage to get back in on cooldown without landing a single hit. That’s why I take signet of rage. The tiny ticks also help a lot in zerk mode too if you’re missing just a touch of adrenaline for a primal.

Only thing I would change is headbutt instead of rage for higher risk higher reward or taking dead or alive for lower damage but more sustain. However dead or alive is kind of feast or famine. 

Look at that guy running Sundering AND bulls charge like a champ

Fight me with it later. 

On 2/17/2023 at 7:49 AM, Zuko.7132 said:

Yeah but what happens vs ranged? Have you considered running like sword axe and axe shield?

5 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Yeah but what happens vs ranged? Have you considered running like sword axe and axe shield?

Vs ranged you use your gs, bulls charge, and sundering leap to close the gap. Then you time your zerk enters and exits to negate ranged burst and close the gap with superspeed while on axe axe. You can also run Rampage for more gap close and chase. I haven't had a huge issue.