Some advice how to make sPVP environment less toxic

Sundoor.5630

The more and more I do sPVP the more I'm convinced, that it's not mostly played by kittens. People on average play nice with each other, and I don't think the PVP population would be any different.

However just as in driving (road rage) a stressful environment can bring out the worst in people who can't handle that stress. PVP is inherently stressful, there is no fixing there, but I think Anet did not consider minimizing the effects of its virtual environment to make sure the systems around PVP don't add to that stress.

Civil engineering actually considers this factor pretty seriously, and so should it be in virtual environments.

Moreover it is surprising to see that PVE has a LOT of systemic safeguards to reduce toxicity and the same philosophy is notably lacking in PVP. For example people having their own loot drops. Those that are old enough might remember old-school MMOs where the boss only dropped ONE item. Remember the drama that happened over and over? Individualized loot made it go away.

Now most of you who read this will, about now, scream BALANCE! Personally, I don't think balance is a big factor here. The game is pretty well balanced considering the enormous diversity of professions and builds. It is an impossible task to balance it perfectly, but we should all be aware of this. If you want a perfectly balanced game there is always chess, go etc.

Glicko-2 might also be suspect to increase toxicity as it basically assumes that people play at their peak capacity in their preferred roles, playing current meta etc. While it is possible at the top level of this game, the vast majority of players play in teams with random builds and no pre-discussion of strategy. Generally speaking this rating system is unfit for 90%+ of all players, but I cannot offer any constructive contribution here as I am not a mathematician. I am not sure if better rating systems exist specifically tailored for 5v5 (maybe MOBAs have better rating systems?).

Here are my  - I think - feasible recommendations to reduce the toxicity of the PVP environment in GW2 specifically:

The rating is system is biased towards keeping you locked in a certain rating level

As said earlier, I am not very familiar about the minute details of Glicko-2, but I know that it was an improvement of the Elo system as it mutes the effects of winning and losing streaks and rewards consistency. Unfortunately in GW2 PVP it is difficult to stay consistent (as far as your wins and losses go), maybe it is just me, but it is really unusual to have alternating wins and losses. Usually it is a streak of 3-5 wins followed by a streak of 3-5 losses. The scoring system is such, if your skill rating is 1300, if you have a streak of wins that pushes it to 1350, the algorithm considers that a swing and will punish you harshly for any loss. I believe that is why you see a +13, +11, +10 and then a -18, -16. The same thing is true for going under your normal rating. This effect is exactly to blame why you see people with a lot more wins than losses not progressing, but also people with a lot more losses also hovering around their original rating even though they no longer contribute as much (maybe their go-to build was nerfed).

Seeing hard-earned wins yielding only +13 and then a -18 from a loss due to an afk I believe incurs a massive negative psychological impact. A perceived undeserved punishment creates a lot of frustration while a seemingly undeserved reward barely gives you any positive feeling.

Recommended solutions:

1. Reduce the impact of events out of your control (that have nothing to do with your skill)
    Monitor player performance during the game. Damage dealt, damage received, healing done, capping done, defense done, including secondaries (Capricorn bell, Skyhammer etc.). If a player's per-minute normalized combined score of all these is lower than -2 standard deviations its a 100% clear indication of an AFK or an intentional throw. This player would receive, say, 150% of the negative score as it would be with a normal loss, while the teammates would not receive a negative score (just as in disconnects) and the opposing team would receive, say, 50% of the positive score they would normally receive. If the normalized combined score is lower than -1 standard deviation, but higher than -2 standard deviations, it is a sign that either the matchmaking system put a much lower skilled player in the team or an otherwise correctly rated player is out of their element (new build try out, new profession etc.). Either way the team with this player is almost 100% sure to incur a loss and the scoring system should take this into account by lowering both the negative and positive scores by a little.
  2. Make individual contribution matter more
    People who give their all and truly shine should not receive the same reward/punishment as those who either don't care or even actively work against their team. People who have a combined score higher than the match average OR if they earn a top stat should receive a little higher score for winning and a milder negative score for losing. Does not have to be a lot to go a long way, say +-2.
  3. Make scoring more transparent
    People tend to assume unfairness, hostility, and other negative emotions if they do not know who or what is on the other side. Opaque systems make people assume that the system is working against them. I think it would go a long way if the scoring system would detail at least a bit why a person received a certain score. Say you get a -18. Normally you would either assume that you, an ace player, were put in a team of idiots causing you to lose against lower rated players. People would be unlikely to think that this is just Glicko trying to normalize your score. So instead of just a -15, it could be detailed say -10 default loss score, +1 for rating difference, -4 streak normalization, -2 ending score difference. This way people would understand better that this wasn't the fault of 'idiotic' team mates, in fact they were lower rated in this game than the average.
  4. Limit the effectiveness of duo-queue
    Playing with a friend is great, but in the perspective of the vast majority of the player base who PVP alone this is a sort of unfair advantage. I think duo-queue should be retained, but should yield slightly less rewards in ratings due to the increased consistency compared to playing alone (and the possibility that you might be carried by a friend).

Lack of positive and negative reinforcement

In order to create a less toxic environment, good behavior should be rewarded and bad behavior should be punished. Currently it seems bad behavior is only very mildly if at all punished, while good behavior and fair play yields exactly zero reward.

Recommended solutions:

1. Make the dishonor record count
    Reports actioned by Anet, massive numbers of unactioned reports, game throws and afks (as detailed above) should automatically yield a tangible stain on the dishonor record. Players with a high dishonor score should not get ANY PVP reward pips at all for losing (but should still get for winning). The system should allow for the occasional personal mistake (some bad words in a stressful situation, or an unintentional afk, eg. due to life event) without punishment and should primarily target repeat offenders. The dishonor record should slowly go away. Consistently serious offenders should be barred from PVP for a longer period. If you cannot clean up your dishonor record over a long period of time, the PVP community is better without you.
  2. Reward consistent good behavior
    People who have a consistent record of good behavior ie zero to minimal entries on their dishonor record should get a fair play reward of +1 pip both for losing and winning.
  3. Always allow players to reconnect to a match
    The system should be ironclad, in case of a random disconnect due to game crash, ISP etc. always allow players to rejoin a match

I believe the above changes would go a long way to make the PVP environment nicer as people's ratings and rewards will be less dependent on other people and things out of their control, resulting in less blame and hostile behavior against their teammates. At the same time the above would not hurt the top echelons in the game who truly deserve their high ratings.

It would also give both positive and negative incentives for people to be just a little nicer to each other.

I am honestly not expecting anything to change, but still felt good to brainstorm ideas of viable fixes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

i don't think i've ever seen non-toxic anything, anywhere, ever. you even see toxicity in pve where there's no competition and nothing at stake. its just people being people. 🤣

also as gaming communities go, gw2 probably has one of the least toxic environments there is. 🙂

i really do credit this to anet, they've done a great job at it for the almost 10 years i've played.

its not like the golden age as when i first started the game. but its still very, very good. 🙂

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Most people in pvp are generally quiet. There are a few people here and there with maladaptive personalities reaching criminal levels but not too many. The main problem is, those people go out their way to torment others for their own amusement and they can do so without consequence. They tend to cause players to leave pvp or the game in general and are technically costing arenanet revenue. They sent one employee a month ago to sit around for 3 days and people behaved better during just that time period and that was pretty much it for the past few years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Having an active moderator / gm in game dealing with reports would be great, a good ticketing system in the game, where its accessible instantly what is being reported, like a line of text being reported, and dealt with.. obviously training is required in this to see humour vs intent to cause harm... 

Summoning a GM in place of problem should definitely deter some players from commiting same acts again. 

I used to be a GM in WoW... 

Edited by Sinister.5792

I honestly don't think they care; they found the winning formula for this MMO and it does not include sPvP.

The biggest thing they could do to fix it would be dropping bronze rank and push everyone up. Currently no one is even in Legendary rank in US, so no one is benefiting from the Pips.
If you only get Pips from winning, then it would create a situation where people would actively not AFK and try get into Plat.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 1:53 PM, Dr Meta.3158 said:

those people go out their way to torment others for their own amusement and they can do so without consequence

Very few people are actually bad to the bone. Most of them _become_ malicious by being frustrated. Some people don't require much, the inherent stress of PVP is enough. But there are also many that are pushed over the edge by the little systemic annoyances. I think in game design for a large number of players, developers should strive to eliminate as much frustration of the system as possible. Also look up Philip Zimbardo's The Psychology of Evil TED talk, same rules apply here as well, actually he highlights the lack of consequences as one of the primary contributors.

4 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Currently no one is even in Legendary rank in US

Exactly my point. The rating system combined with GW2's PVP mechanics actually prevent people to become Legendary ranked without resorting to manipulation. That is because the rating system does not rate your individual performance, it rates the performance of the set of random teams you had the fortune/misfortune to participate in.

If you are really good, then you lift every team's performance, but this contribution is always marginal

Unlike, say, League of Legends, unless the skill difference is huge, a single person cannot carry a match, while at the same time a single bad performing person can 100% lose a match. Sure you can be MVP, contributing a lot to win (your rating slowly improves after all if you get better) but it is always a nudge towards winning, never a carry per say.

Combine this with the bias the system has to push you towards your average rating, it is not hard to understand why almost no one is organically in the legendary tier.

Edit: Currently in the world I play in there is only one person in Legendary tier. with 1850ish rating. While I do not know the statistical distributions, in chess a rating of 1800 should account for about 2% of all PVP players

Take a look at the below ranking distribution of LoL, diamond+ is the equivalent of legendary 

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/59af2189c534a58c97bd63b3/1623766079478-NSNKONSUFMHDZU6JYP8S/League+of+Legends+rank+distribution+June+2021+Season+11.jpg?format=1000w

I think in GW2 the legendary tier is underrepresented, and I think the reasons I outlined above are to blame

Edited by Sundoor.5630
  • Like 1

The actual correct fix would be to completely remove the ranked mode and push all related pip rewards to unranked.

I hate saying that but every aspect of ranked is corrupt & ruined in 2023. If they just remove the visible badge icon clout chasing, rating, titles, all that, there would be no reason for anyone to want or need to match manipulate. It would eliminate all motives for win trading and the game would feel a lot better to play when everyone was just shuffled into and casually playing Unranked for the funzies, and 5man AT formations for competitive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sundoor.5630 said:

Very few people are actually bad to the bone. Most of them _become_ malicious by being frustrated. Some people don't require much, the inherent stress of PVP is enough. But there are also many that are pushed over the edge by the little systemic annoyances. I think in game design for a large number of players, developers should strive to eliminate as much frustration of the system as possible. Also look up Philip Zimbardo's The Psychology of Evil TED talk, same rules apply here as well, actually he highlights the lack of consequences as one of the primary contributors.

I already said...

There are a few people here and there with maladaptive personalities reaching criminal levels but not too many.

Not calling you out specifically, but I would really appreciate it if people would take the time to carefully read the posts their responding to. A lot if responses would end up vastly different if people would heed that advice.

Evil is the act of performing acts that you know will hurt someone else. It is why many animals are not considered even because they are not aware and in many cases not capable of being aware of the concept of harming someone else whereas animals like dolphins are most certainly very evil.

That being said, if a little bit of stress is all it takes for a person to commit to evil acts, that person is evil. People face stress all the time, but imagine that person as a parent. Kids stress their parents out all the time. As such if they commitevil acts to their kids, it will not be waved away as OK because they were "stressed". 

Lastly, if a person requires consequences in order to not commit evil acts, they are evil. They are literally not performing evil because of regulation.

But to reiterate, most people aren't like that. PvP regardless of game attracts those type of people since many are sadistic and are bound to flock towards system with inherent conflict so the concentration would be higher than PvE, but even still its not many.

The problem is that it does not take many to ruin a system. Many people old enough have been in a job situation where it only took one person to take away a benefit everyone else was enjoying. One person. It takes one cheater to ruin a game. It takes one bad driver to cause an accident and pile up tons of money and time from several people in the area and service people's time and effort. It only takes one to cause massive damage to anything. So take that one and make it at least one percent (and its definitely more than one percent) out of population with no response units, regulation and such and therein lies the mess that is sPvP.

I don't even fully blame arenanet for this one because at best it would just be a constant war with the few that find their best enjoyment in sadistic pleasure with the added side pressure of people with poor emotional regulation and tendency towards spite and malice when provoked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

The actual correct fix would be to completely remove the ranked mode and push all related pip rewards to unranked.

I hate saying that but every aspect of ranked is corrupt & ruined in 2023. If they just remove the visible badge icon clout chasing, rating, titles, all that, there would be no reason for anyone to want or need to match manipulate. It would eliminate all motives for win trading and the game would feel a lot better to play when everyone was just shuffled into and casually playing Unranked for the funzies, and 5man AT formations for competitive.

At this point where Toxicity is going, I am all for Removing anything that encourage and Promotes Toxicity.

Very well said. 

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

I already said...

Not calling you out specifically, but I would really appreciate it if people would take the time to carefully read the posts their responding to. A lot if responses would end up vastly different if people would heed that advice.

Evil is the act of performing acts that you know will hurt someone else. It is why many animals are not considered even because they are not aware and in many cases not capable of being aware of the concept of harming someone else whereas animals like dolphins are most certainly very evil.

That being said, if a little bit of stress is all it takes for a person to commit to evil acts, that person is evil. People face stress all the time, but imagine that person as a parent. Kids stress their parents out all the time. As such if they commitevil acts to their kids, it will not be waved away as OK because they were "stressed". 

Lastly, if a person requires consequences in order to not commit evil acts, they are evil. They are literally not performing evil because of regulation.

But to reiterate, most people aren't like that. PvP regardless of game attracts those type of people since many are sadistic and are bound to flock towards system with inherent conflict so the concentration would be higher than PvE, but even still its not many.

The problem is that it does not take many to ruin a system. Many people old enough have been in a job situation where it only took one person to take away a benefit everyone else was enjoying. One person. It takes one cheater to ruin a game. It takes one bad driver to cause an accident and pile up tons of money and time from several people in the area and service people's time and effort. It only takes one to cause massive damage to anything. So take that one and make it at least one percent (and its definitely more than one percent) out of population with no response units, regulation and such and therein lies the mess that is sPvP.

I don't even fully blame arenanet for this one because at best it would just be a constant war with the few that find their best enjoyment in sadistic pleasure with the added side pressure of people with poor emotional regulation and tendency towards spite and malice when provoked.

💪

• Confused 3

On 4/16/2023 at 9:19 AM, Dr Meta.3158 said:

I already said...

On a side note, I think that's a pretty poor definition of evil.

For instance is it evil to perform an act that will hurt someone else, if not doing so would mean the destruction of everyone else? You know sealing off a bulkhead in a sinking ship sort of thing.

I did a lot of fighting competitions some years ago, and I did cause harm to others (whom were similarly inclined to me).  It wasn't lasting harm ideally, though there was a chance for that I suppose, but it was an agreed upon competition where-in applying harm was a good portion of the point of it all.

Also I think there can be significant evil in not taking steps to remove ignorance regarding the consequence of an action.  It is sort of a willful blindness as to consequence.

Finally I think a person who choses not to act evil due to consequence is not necessarily evil.  Its really a debate about what consequences are that prohibit the person from acting, for instance if it is an empathetic consequence of them feeling guilty that makes them choose not to harm another, then that's really where most people are.

There's also the argument over whether someone is evil who intends to do evil or through action brings about "evil".  Ie. Intent vs. Consequence.

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 2

I agree with the OP on a lot of the things here. There's a mixture of both humans having an innate drive to do both good and evil, harm or help, and so on...but also the systems that are built around us influence which things actually come out. It's a classic nature vs nurture thing, but it's both and not just only one.

I strongly believe that just as people have a sort of responsibility to be moral to one another, anet is responsible for creating systems that bring out the moral good and not the moral bad in the systems that they build. This is indeed a design problem something that in principle is fixable to a large degree

Some systems might be much more complex and deeper then just this game (competition is a universal thing, not just a gw2 design problem) so finding solutions might be difficult. But I think technology shows us that, there will always be more and more clever-er and clever-er designs and algorithm's...and shows us that it's possible.

Just one thing to mention to the OP is that, a lot of the things you mentioned as solutions, have been shown to be difficult problems...mostly related to the problem of moderating the game. There aren't enough humans per game to moderate...and therefor that kind of process needs to be automated to some degree...and right now there is no technology (yet) intelligent enough to automate a task like this. I would say that more clever-er design solutions (intrinsic to how the players in the game mode themselves interact) is required.

One example is idea #2: Making individual contribution matter more. I completly agree, that the way to paramatrize these design elements in the game is in this manner. I think in fact the rating system should be fully replaced by a system like this, that counts actions the player does (kills, revives, capping, decapping, etc...) and evaluates it in some way (like a scoring system) that at the very least weights it against players with lower scores.

However...such a system has to be intelligent to some degree , and the parameters need to be numerous, given the nuance of SPVP. Like mentioned above, this is the difficulty in that moderation process...that it needs to be automated and the problem is that the technology isn't there just yet...maybe soon but not yet. 

Additionally, A lot of making individual contribution matter also has deal with skill design and "balance." Skills in the game should be conducive to having higher impact individually...and also synergistics between different builds played by different players on the team should be rewarded (combos and fields for example being a failed system for this idea)...hell you could even make "synergies" a parameter that a ranked system can score you with as well.

Anyway, these were just my thoughts and opinions on this thread. Cheers,

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 2

This is a lesson to game developers that wish to moderate a competitive scene. 

If you let people that manipulate your systems get away with wrist slaps, fail to make an example out of them, and allow the community members that are looking for fair matches get exploited, eventually the players looking to play things by the book will leave, and your community will struggle.

As much as the people willing to skirt rules would like you to believe otherwise, the game will continue to work just fine if their account they [redacted] 300 dollars [redacted] gets obliterated, and they'll learn not to do it again. 

Moderation is hard, I know. But it's necessary; part of the foundation upon which a community is built. If it is difficult to expose situations where people are abusing the game, then the system needs to change to make it easier. And the people that -do- get caught should very visibly be removed from wherever they have an impact, whether that be on leaderboards or through high levels of dishonor. 

All the power to make things right, and you refuse to use it~

Edited by JormagSorbet.8079
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, JormagSorbet.8079 said:

Moderation is hard, I know. But it's necessary; part of the foundation upon which a community is built

Yes, this. For 100% clear, severe offences, such as intentional manipulation of ranked or AT games, account sharing, repeated racist abuse etc. they should just perma ban the offender. You lose a couple of customers, sure, but I think it is a necessary sacrifice in order for the rest of the playerbase not to lose faith in the system

And a lot of this can be automated I think. First, as discussed by myself and others above, there are not that many real bad apples. Also I kinda agree not to jump on every single reported player (many times reports are just used to call out a scapegoat or a less skilled player) but if someone gets 10+ reports in a single day, it is pretty clear that something is going on.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sundoor.5630 said:

Honestly everything you said, i love it. But the sad thing is that Arenanet, does not give a single care about pvp, there has been no ladder, no changes for any improvement and quality of life forever. 

and you can clearly see by  how obvious they just ignore the pvp player base. 

it is sad to see, such a great great how they just laugh at players that enjoy pvp. Like today i was checking if i could see any other tool to better see combat lots, because i have to be honest, Arenanetdesigners have no clue what data presentation is, and just throw a bunch of stats really hard to digest in an already difficult and fast paced game. 

It is really frustrating to see the game mode falling into the depths of hell. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, Sundoor.5630 said:

1. Reduce the impact of events out of your control (that have nothing to do with your skill)
    Monitor player performance during the game. Damage dealt, damage received, healing done, capping done, defense done, including secondaries (Capricorn bell, Skyhammer etc.). If a player's per-minute normalized combined score of all these is lower than -2 standard deviations its a 100% clear indication of an AFK or an intentional throw. This player would receive, say, 150% of the negative score as it would be with a normal loss, while the teammates would not receive a negative score (just as in disconnects) and the opposing team would receive, say, 50% of the positive score they would normally receive. If the normalized combined score is lower than -1 standard deviation, but higher than -2 standard deviations, it is a sign that either the matchmaking system put a much lower skilled player in the team or an otherwise correctly rated player is out of their element (new build try out, new profession etc.). Either way the team with this player is almost 100% sure to incur a loss and the scoring system should take this into account by lowering both the negative and positive scores by a little.
  2. Make individual contribution matter more
    People who give their all and truly shine should not receive the same reward/punishment as those who either don't care or even actively work against their team. People who have a combined score higher than the match average OR if they earn a top stat should receive a little higher score for winning and a milder negative score for losing. Does not have to be a lot to go a long way, say +-2.

Promotes stat-kitten instead of good play. - If you have the choice between jumping into an already-won fight, scoring tons of damage, getting multiple kills, and a point cap vs stalling 2 enemy players near their spawn for 30 seconds, scoring minimal damage, not getting any kills or caps, and then dying .. and the reward system cares about your stats, which option are you going to pick?

Which is more likely to help your team win the game?

On 4/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

One example is idea #2: Making individual contribution matter more. I completly agree, that the way to paramatrize these design elements in the game is in this manner. I think in fact the rating system should be fully replaced by a system like this, that counts actions the player does (kills, revives, capping, decapping, etc...) and evaluates it in some way (like a scoring system) that at the very least weights it against players with lower scores.

The game is too nuanced for this. You can pad your stats in a way the game would consider "good", but is actually bad - eg. losing the game while zerging around chasing kills and 4v1-ing points.

8 hours ago, coro.3176 said:

Promotes stat-kitten instead of good play. - If you have the choice between jumping into an already-won fight, scoring tons of damage, getting multiple kills, and a point cap vs stalling 2 enemy players near their spawn for 30 seconds, scoring minimal damage, not getting any kills or caps, and then dying .. and the reward system cares about your stats, which option are you going to pick?

Which is more likely to help your team win the game?

I'm sure in most of your games the player with least caps, defense, revive etc. is the most valuable and contributive

Please read again. Didn't suggest stats are the be all end all. But stats are a very good indicator of performance. A player with good stats should be rewarded for effort. A loss will still be a loss, but at least you wont get -20 while having 4 top stats. Which is quite nonsense.