Look for a class that can camp 1 weapon...

MisterDizzy.4713

Does such a thing exist in GW2? I played GW1 extensively back in the day, and then moved to WoW . Warrior mains on both. I'm also pretty heavy on class fantasy, if it doesn't look good I probably won't play it as I will be spending a lot of time on it. After doing a little research the Warrior class in GW2 is apparently just a buff bot in mid-high end pve that runs around throwing banners at people. Their DPS spec seems to be a fireball throwing mage that shoots people in point blank range with a bow which IMO makes no sense and doesn't fit my view of the Warrior class fantasy..

So I'm now looking for another class, preferably one that plays like how they're traditionally portrayed in fantasy, without having to swap into different weapons constantly. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks

There is none. Although you might think the Elementalist is the class you are searching, it is not: with the Elementalist you have only one weapon and are unable to switch weapons in combat, but he has 4 attunements, which change all 5 weapon skills. And you are supposed to switch attunements during combat, just like weapon switch for other classes. So, you effectively you have 4 weapons to swap, more than any other class.

There is also the Engineer who also has one weapon during combat as well, but you are supposed to equip one or more weapon kits as utility, and these act like weapon swap as well.

If you only see the roleplay component, use one of these 2 classes. But if you want to get rid of the gameplay mechanics of weapon skill swapping, because you cannot handle it or don't want to deal with it, you're out of luck.

It entirely depends on the kinds of game modes you're interested in bringing your character into, and at what level of competency. In open world, dungeons, and up to Tier 3 Fractals, you can pretty much "Bearbow" your way through them with any build.

Besides that, the only profession/specialization that I can think of that doesn't need to swap weapon would be the Revenant. With Viper gear and Strength or Altruism runes, you can camp Herald and be a boon bot with so-so damage. Similarly, you can swap to Renegade/Ventari with the same set of equipment to provide Might, Alacrity, and some heals.

Given your flare for fashion, might I suggest you try mesmer? Given the way that class uses their weapons, I imagine they have weapon creation abilities similar to Archer from the Fate franchise - so weaponswapping isn't a lorebreak issue. They do, however, have to weapon swap as part of a rotation if you enter higher teir play, and they do tend to end up as quickness-slaves who can "run faster than a centaur".

If you're looking for a class that doesn't tend to weaponswap and fits the norm, I'd say thief tends to fit the bill. Dagger/Dagger is a fairly acrobatic set based around chaining backstabs off revealed cooldown, Pistol/Pistol is a cool gunslinger set, while Staff can be played off as an acrobatic spearman. These weaponsets are usually used independantly, only swapping to a shortbow for mobility or stealth.

I see that you've figured out that Guild Wars 2 has it's own spin on the professions - Warriors play like mages, Thieves aren't really rouges, and Mesmers are raid tanks! For PvE, there are a couple of options that might work for you. Understand that you likely won't do optimal damage and may have a hard time getting into PUG raids/high level fractals, but will still be competitive everywhere else. In other words, likely 90% of everyone else in PvE will be running similarly effective builds to these so just have fun with what you like and what works for you!

Staff condi Elementalist camping fire attunement - Classic ranged caster archetype. Trait for a couple of elementals for meat shields and you should be good to go.

Greatsword power retaliation Guardian - Classic melee holy warrior/battle mage archetype. Only switch up to scepter rarely when can't go melee (still fits the archetype, especially with shield).

Longbow power Ranger - Classic ranged hunter archetype. Bring a sturdy pet like bear and good to go.

Sword-pistol power Thief - Classic melee bruiser/evasion off-tank. Stay away from the stealth traits, take sigil of Malice and the invigorating precision trait to give this build a lot of sustain. Can be combined with pistol-pistol as below for the rare times that you need to range. May be the closest thing to a classic warrior archetype that might work for you.

Pistol-pistol power Thief - Classic gunslinger archetype.

Minion master Necromancer - I'm not as familiar with this one, but it certainly fits the classic dark caster archetype and I don't think there is much weapon swapping.

@MisterDizzy.4713 said:Does such a thing exist in GW2? I played GW1 extensively back in the day, and then moved to WoW . Warrior mains on both. I'm also pretty heavy on class fantasy, if it doesn't look good I probably won't play it as I will be spending a lot of time on it. After doing a little research the Warrior class in GW2 is apparently just a buff bot in mid-high end pve that runs around throwing banners at people. Their DPS spec seems to be a fireball throwing mage that shoots people in point blank range with a bow which IMO makes no sense and doesn't fit my view of the Warrior class fantasy..

So I'm now looking for another class, preferably one that plays like how they're traditionally portrayed in fantasy, without having to swap into different weapons constantly. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks

What is the context? PvP you will need to weapon swap. Not necessarily on CD, but you will need to utilize all your skills.

Though majority of PvE you stick to one weapon and the other is mostly for utility. Example, power rev uses sword/sword as its damage tool. Staff is used when you need to break bars. If not needed then hammer. Outside of the needed utility you is sword.

Dare Devil staff is well rounded but I recommend pairing it with P/P cause range helps sometimes. Great sword reaper seems like it could work as a single weapon set class. I havent found a nice ranged weapon set that can do good aoe dps yet and not die instantly to trash, else that it the kind of weapon I would camp.

I was going to suggest Power Reaper with great sword, though I don't play it in high fractals or raids. You still need to hit shroud, so you can't camp GS all the time, but it is one of the easier rotations...

Other thought would be dragon hunter with scepter. Scepter can have good ranged aoe especially with Permeating wrath. For max DPS you would still want to weapon swap.

Archived