Fractual of guild wars 1

Would it be possible to get fractals that explain a bit of gw1 that lead to events of gw2, like one of Shiro and the afflicted? I was really a bit lost when reaching cathan with very little background lore and missed on chances to appreciate certain events.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I'm sure it's possible. We've already got some Fractals related to events in GW1, like Urban Battleground which is about the charr invading a city in Ascalon during the Searing (which happened just after the intro to the Prophecies campaign). There's also Twilight Oasis which is set during Palawa Joko's (2nd) conquest of Elona which would have been part of the 3rd GW:Beyond release, but that got cancelled.

I suspect the deciding factor will be whether Anet thinks it's worth doing compared to spending the same time and effort on other things. We know they are going to make more Fractals, but they may well already have a plan for those, maybe something that ties into the new expansions or it's own storyline like the one with the Mysterious Asura.

Part of that decision might be how much of the story can be effectively told in Fractals. For example they could adapt some of the GW1 missions, like The Frost Gate which shows a key part of the Ascalonian refugees making their way over the Shiverpeaks into Kryta. But without already knowing the context I'm not sure how clear it would be why it's significant or even what's going on. You'd just be making your way through a mountainous area, fighting the Stone Summit while a seperate group of humans follows an adjacent path.

• Like 1

It is highly unlikely. Given resources are meaning we are are only just getting back to fractals—and prob only one a year—and that we seem to be about to leave Cantha behind, I can’t see them doing a re-tred of the first game through fractals. If playing GW: Factions isn’t possible, there will be YouTube videos of the intro cutscene to cover the over arching idea.

I will say I’m not against the idea, although I prefer my fractals to be more along the mysterious lines like the Colossus rather than story based

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

Would it be possible, for GW2 to be its own gameand not non stop """revisiting""" GW1 for nostalgia's sake?

Funny. The only moments in GW2's history where I felt something remotely nostalgic was when Palawa Joko returned in PoF and when I visited the Kurzick graveyard in EoD.

Other than that, they've done a lousy job on "revisiting" GW1 and creating a feeling of true nostalgia. It never felt anything like GW1, and I am pretty certain it never will, regardless of whether the content can be referenced to GW1 or not.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

Would it be possible, for GW2 to be its own gameand not non stop """revisiting""" GW1 for nostalgia's sake?

What's wrong with possible good story content or you want more of Inquest, Taimi, dragon magic or maybe even more of Dragonstorm? 

Edited by Jin.8501
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Jin.8501 said:

What's wrong with possible good story content or you want more of Inquest, Taimi, dragon magic or maybe even more of Dragonstorm? 

Possible good story content could also be something new, not related to GW1. Sure Taimi or Dragonstorm aren't good story, but that has nothing to do with those things being not related to GW1. After revisiting Elona and Cantha I just hope ANet has exhausted GW1 content and moves on to somewhere new.

• Like 3