Birthday Gifts dropping from mobs

https://imgur.com/a/octOltm

This should probably go into bugs, but it's mainly motivated by curiosity. As bugs go it's so minor i do not expect it to get addressed or me getting an answer from devs about it, and in that place it'd be unlikely to be seen by most posters.

So, (as can be seen on the linked picture) a First Birthday Gift was just obtained (during killing trash mobs) by an over 5-years old character. It's the first time i've seen that happen, so i started to wonder whether i have missed something, or is that so rare a drop it's below even precursors or black lion keys in rarity? 

Has anyone seen this happen before? Or maybe someone has a different explanation for what might have happened?

Edit: the mentioned below suggestion it might have been caused by mail overflow is probably the culprit here. Even though there are some inconsistences with it, it's still way, way more believable than the idea that i have stumbled upon a drop table bug noone else has seen before.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

You've killed the single longest surviving mob in the game and stole its 1 year present, despicable.

15 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Are you sure it wasn't sitting in the mail? There's a limit on how much (non-player) mail you can have. When you get a new one, it auto loots the oldest.

That's probably what happened here ("You can only have 15 non-player messages that do not count against the 10-message limit. Unlike the player messages, these will not be queued to wait for you to read. Instead, the oldest message is automatically deleted, even if you did not read it. Items in the deleted message will automatically be deposited in your inventory.")

• Like 4
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Are you sure it wasn't sitting in the mail? There's a limit on how much (non-player) mail you can have. When you get a new one, it auto loots the oldest.

This sounds even more plausible, when you see that there's an unopened mail in the screenshot.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

This sounds even more plausible, when you see that there's an unopened mail in the screenshot.

That mail was from map completion that happened around the same time, so the possibility cannot be ruled out. Still, it would mean that there's some weird counting and mail limits there - i just went and checked, and on that character i've had a mail state of  4/10, with 27 mails total. Which would mean that either the limit is 23 "non-player" mails, or that some mails are not counted for either limit.

Coincidentally, I had a 4th Birthday gift appear in my inventory earlier today, which I could only presume dropped in a fractal - but I did also have a mail from an NPC today for a seperate quest, so I suppose it could be the mail limits mentioned above, but I was very confused when my 10+ year old character had a 4th year gift in its inventory.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:54 AM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Hm, I better move my stacks of broken spoons and globby gloop to my bank then.

I'm picturing someone hitting you like a pinata and just broken spoons everywhere.  The horror.  Where's the zhaitaffy!?

• Haha 2