Accepting the fact that I will never obtain a skyscale.

3 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

My main critique on the skyscale is: it makes the game to easy and this is especially true for all areas released before it.

There is nothing that is keeping you from not using a skyscale if you find it makes things too easy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Let's be real, you want this thing because of FOMO primarily. You don't actually need NEED it unless you're doing something like the boss rush after the dragonfall meta and you can't keep up with the commander flying across some wide chasm. I understand the instant fatigue you're feeling after looking at the steps but you have to understand that the drive to acquire that which other players have is the lifeblood of online adventure games. You can either be somebody who gives up instantly or you can do what everybody else had to do and just stick on that south park live to win song and go get the mount.

Also, movement in gw2 is a massive deal and the game wasn't designed with mounts in mind initially. The skyscale is literally the most overpowered, fun-deleting thing you can get if you're an open-world PvE player, and it's lengthy acquisition time makes sense for this particular game. It's important that this thing is held off from new players for as long as possible. It's the gw2 equivalent of that one DLC motorcycle from zelda that takes forever to get.

Edited by lanadelbae.6029
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:38 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

the sky scale actually killed the small guild I was a part of. 

That's actually sick what the hell. All the best online games have stuff that's so notorious it splinters communities. Obviously it's not pleasant to be in the thick of it but like, the skyscale literally killed your guild, that's insane lol. It wouldn't be a story if you all just got it instantly and therefore bled the game of its strangeness in a couple days 

Edited by lanadelbae.6029
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Hycinthus.6483 said:

I think this is where the disagreements lie.  If we view this as a long-term goal, I think it makes sense and it's totally fine.

However, I really think the time to change is now. ArenaNet is actively trying to grow the user base now, and based on the last announcement, are rolling out a new model of pushing out more updates quicker.

Play any large mmo FF wow any of them all the premier mounts are a long time to get, and many way longer and more intense than the skyscale. It took months of reputation grinds to get a mount in wow, or you can farm drop mounts for years and never see one. I dont think that needs to change in any mmorpg ,because these games are long term. They are not here for fly by night players to play in a week or two. They are journeys, and stories , you  progress through a characters lifetime, to change that will change the base ideal of what an mmorpg is. There are other types of games out there for instant gratification that can be played in short term.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I have every mount. It wasn't until I started helping my kids get their mounts that I truly learned how "not fun" some of the acquisition methods are. Lecture me all you want about how it's fine but know that you would sing a different tune if you had to explain it to your 10 year old who, after a week of gaming, still can't have daddy's cool mount.

I mean game is pegi12 so 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

It's amazing to me that the skyscale has been made easier to get TWO times and people still complain.

They could put in on a vendor for a single Mistborn Mote and there'd still be people complaining that it isn't available right after character creation.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Sarge shot Grif.6450 said:

It's amazing to me that the skyscale has been made easier to get TWO times and people still complain.

Are you honestly expecting every player at some point to say "yea, this is okay" for something that isn't completely free? Is this your first time on the internet?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale/Walkthrough

Just read through the guide, that's it. Time how long it took, and then let me know your time. Just reading mind you. No skipping now!

Where do I need to spend my money for the Skyscale specifically? I've got the Skyscale on two accounts so far and I didn't have to pay for it yet. Did Anet change something in the last ~4 months?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Where do I need to spend my money for the Skyscale specifically? I've got the Skyscale on two accounts so far and I didn't have to pay for it yet. Did Anet change something in the last ~4 months?

I think you need to spend a small amount of gold on the skyscale toys. That's all I remember, but it has been a while since I completed it 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

Let me first start this off by saying if you have a sky scale you are really cool, and good job! But do you think the developers overestimated how much time and effort a player would want to put in before getting completely burned out and/or frustrated with the game entirely? One look at the requirements and it makes me not only never want a sky scale but makes me want to quit the game altogether thinking to myself "This is what I have to do to unlock flying a dragon?". I know 3 people (including my guild leader) who just recently got their sky scale but are now playing other games because right after getting their dragon they needed a break from guild wars 2. I just got The Ascension wings after playing on and off since launch and I'm happy with them. The sky scale looks really cool, but I'd rather spend my time playing guild wars 2 instead of grinding for a new way to move around the world. To be honest not having one makes me not want to PvE at all in the open world. I hope I don't get flamed for my opinion because I really love GW2 more than any other MMO. I just wish getting a sky scale flowed naturally within gameplay progression. 

The Skyscale is just a typical mmo-style grind-and-a-half to artificially pad out the game. It's cheap. It's obvious.

Like legendaries, it's just a way to keep people populating the game world and have them 'work' for something since gw2 lacks genuine rewards. By genuine, I mean something you're fully engaged into getting and gives a sense of accomplishment. I doubt grinding for collections to obtain cosmetics like a check list is anyway engaging. The legendaries have tangible and cosmetic value, but the process of getting them is a literal chore (aka a check list).

Of course, to address your point at the end, a much more sensible solution would be to: (drum roll) award the Skyscale at the end of living world season 4. In the context of spoilers during the season 4 finale, it would give the player MORE satisfaction to having it earned that way instead of just another typical check list.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

The Skyscale is just a typical mmo-style grind-and-a-half to artificially pad out the game. It's cheap. It's obvious.

Like legendaries, it's just a way to keep people populating the game world and have them 'work' for something since gw2 lacks genuine rewards. By genuine, I mean something you're fully engaged into getting and gives a sense of accomplishment. I doubt grinding for collections to obtain cosmetics like a check list is anyway engaging. The legendaries have tangible and cosmetic value, but the process of getting them is a literal chore (aka a check list).

Of course, to address your point at the end, a much more sensible solution would be to: (drum roll) award the Skyscale at the end of living world season 4. In the context of spoilers during the season 4 finale, it would give the player MORE satisfaction to having it earned that way instead of just another typical check list.

Nah, the sensible solution would be to simply complete one of the only few "chain quests" in the game in order to get a fairly desirable -and yet still optional- reward or keep playing just as well with the rest of the mounts instead of constantly asking for hand outs.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

The most sensible solution is to just do what Arenanet asks of their player for each reward. They already made it quicker than it was originally.

People have done it before, so others can do it now, too (unless something bugged out and won't be fixed soon).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Nah, the sensible solution would be to simply complete one of the only few "chain quests" in the game in order to get a fairly desirable -and yet still optional- reward or keep playing just as well with the rest of the mounts instead of constantly asking for hand outs.

You mean like the roller beetle, which is a more straight-forward method of the same thing! At least with the roller beetle, it is confined to one map, where you just need map currency and map-specific collection items. The same should have been done with skyscale of which, I'm sorry, NOTHING justifies the grind-and-a-half on the basic selling point of: 'It looks cool and it flies!' It's just a mount like any other. The griffon was bad enough.

43 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The most sensible solution is to just do what Arenanet asks of their player for each reward. They already made it quicker than it was originally.

People have done it before, so others can do it now, too (unless something bugged out and won't be fixed soon).

In other words: 'I got mine!' This is the argument? Let's do better here.

Edited by JTGuevara.9018
typo
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Finished reading yet? How long did it take?

About 10 minutes, considering you quoted my comment I thought you've noticed it.

I'll ask again, where do I need to pay for the Skyscale? Where do I need to use my money to progress with the Skyscale? I'm curious considering the last time I was given ~75% of the required items by the game and got the remainder by playing for like 2-3 hours. 
Is there a "Get Skyscale now" button somewhere that pisses people off?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

You mean like the roller beetle, which is a more straight-forward method of the same thing! At least with the roller beetle, it is confined to one map, where you just need map currency and map-specific collection items. The same should have been done with skyscale of which, I'm sorry, NOTHING justifies the grind-and-a-half on the basic selling point of: 'It looks cool and it flies!' It's just a mount like any other. The griffon was bad enough.

If it's just a mount just like any other then why are you complaining about it so much? As I said in the previous post: "(...)or keep playing just as well with the rest of the mounts instead of constantly asking for hand outs." 
But it's not exactly "like any other", it's more of the "do it all" (even if not "do everything best") type of mount.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

If they give away rewards for free it cheapens the experience.  If they make it a "grind", it's tedious and unrewarding.  If they make it an accomplishment, it's too difficult for most players.  I guess people gonna complain no matter what you do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1