is strike reaper useless in raids?

Yitsul.8342

You either found some tryhards or a group so bad that they need to squeeze out every bit of dps (which is fine in either case, but it doesn't discount strike reaper). It ain't top tier, but it's serviceable. Who's even using shroud 3 fear to begin with? Just don't, unless you know the fight enough that you know it ain't gonna negatively affect it. You have ample other means to CC. Edited by SailorCat.6032
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Yitsul.8342 said:

my raid squad thought I was trolling and I got kicked. Are there any strike reaper builds that aren't outdated?

Whoa there, mate. You're being pretty vague here.

Were you kicked the moment they saw you cause you play reaper?
Or were you in there fightning and it turned out your dps was bad and then they kicked you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Birdie.3869 said:

Reaper is a selfish boon supplier with lower dps than meta and shroud 3 fears in an aoe which most squads hate. They're in an even worse spot after this patch, so no, there's no real place for them in raids or strikes sadly.

4 hours ago, SailorCat.6032 said:

You either found some tryhards or a group so bad that they need to squeeze out every bit of dps (which is fine in either case, but it doesn't discount strike reaper). It ain't top tier, but it's serviceable. Who's even using shroud 3 fear to begin with? Just don't, unless you know the fight enough that you know it ain't gonna negatively affect it. You have ample other means to CC.

Sorry but these are absolutely false statements.

Right now reaper is definetly one of the best dps builds out there. 

It only suffers from two things:

1. It's pure melee DPS, and can be tricky to play on certain encounters

2. There's lots of "bad" players playing reapers, that still don't manage to do decent dps. Even though power reaper is listed as a relatively easy build, there's a huge gap between good and not so good reapers.

WTF are you all smoking? Reaper is one of the best dps options atm! You either played with a group that doesn't keep up with changes and are still stuck in 2015

7 hours ago, Birdie.3869 said:

Reaper is a selfish boon supplier with lower dps than meta and shroud 3 fears in an aoe which most squads hate. They're in an even worse spot after this patch, so no, there's no real place for them in raids or strikes sadly.

What are you on about? This patch changed nothing for Reaper and both condi and power variants are still doing 40k+ dps. Every raid and strike I've been in for the past 2 months has had at least 2 power Reapers (not counting myself) and they were all pumping hard (apart from the odd bad player here and there, but that would effect any profession).  Honestly, what are you on about??? And the fear? You don't need to trigger it if you don't want to plus in strikes and most raids nothing is affecting by the running away part of the fear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yitsul.8342 said:

the latter more or less I told them I wasn't but near the end of the wing they kicked me

Ah, that makes sense now. kitten move they pulled, but I can see why you'd seek to improve.

https://snowcrows.com/builds/necromancer/reaper/power-reaper

This is the 40k power reaper build. With instructions on how to perform your rotation.
Keep in mind practice makes perfect and this is golem dps. A lot of your dps depends on being reactive and good decision making (when to fight, when not to fight, how to change your rotation to adapt to situation). Also encounter knowledge will help a lot. Imagine boss dashing away as you begin your soul spiral and losing huge chunk of dps..

21 hours ago, Birdie.3869 said:

Guess I was wrong, Nevermind. Didn't realize reaper could 100% upkeep shroud in raids and strikes.

You didn't realize it because it can't.

But the fact it can't have 100% uptime on shroud that has nothing to do with whatever claim you made about it having no place in raids or strikes in the first place. Ironically, Reaper's best DPS is to NOT be in Reaper Shroud as much as possible. Anet has clearly designated Reaper as the DPS role for Necro and buffed it accordingly over the last few patches, so any sensational and inaccurate complaints that it's a 'selfish' boon provider and it's 'low' DPS compared to meta are based on what exactly?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

Reaper is extremely strong right now. For strikes and raids, however depending on the strike it'll be more or less useful. in fights with more ranged I wouldn't bring it, opting for something else like Virtuoso. Harbinger can do okay in ranged fights and Scourge used to be great but we've got to wait until the end of the month before they're useful in those fights again...

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:39 AM, Yitsul.8342 said:

the latter more or less I told them I wasn't but near the end of the wing they kicked me

Ah well if you struggled with performing your role then you would have been kicked regardless of the profession; most pugs won't accept a dps doing subpar dps when dps is the role that is most easily replaceable and quite a few people that pug do good dps. 

Since you have been kicked not immediately but after a while - 2 possible scenarios:

1. you played badly => get good!

2. your group was full of d*cks => life goes on!

Btw.: The thread title is dumb, because what happened has nothing to do with reaper. Draw the right conclusions!

Edited by KrHome.1920

On 7/6/2023 at 7:39 AM, Yitsul.8342 said:

Well, there are unsavory peoples. Let's be fair, it's not necessarily your fault or you're profession's fault, especially if you've been kicked near the end of the wing. Sometime it's just that someone want to do a favor to a friend by freeing a spot in an instance that's almost done.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:20 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

You didn't realize it because it can't.

But the fact it can't have 100% uptime on shroud that has nothing to do with whatever claim you made about it having no place in raids or strikes in the first place. Ironically, Reaper's best DPS is to NOT be in Reaper Shroud as much as possible. Anet has clearly designated Reaper as the DPS role for Necro and buffed it accordingly over the last few patches, so any sensational and inaccurate complaints that it's a 'selfish' boon provider and it's 'low' DPS compared to meta are based on what exactly?

Am I reading something wrong?

"Reapers best DPS is to not be in shroud"

That's wrong. Why do we have so many wrong statements in this topic?

You are doing a lot less damage outside of shroud than inside.

The number one reason you want to use gs4 and both wells directly before shroud is, because you deal increased damage while in shroud.

Also shroud 2 and shroud 4 are one of your best damage skills.

4 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

The number one reason you want to use gs4 and both wells directly before shroud is, because you deal increased damage while in shroud.

Also shroud 2 and shroud 4 are one of your best damage skills.

I think Obtena meant that you shouldn't be staying in shroud 100% of the time as you will need to juggle Soul Eater along with, as you're saying, needing to activate wells and Nightfall. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Yes.

That's not what Obtena said.

Probably because you're not mindful enough of the context of what you quote and answer to.

The difference is no longer as significative as it used to be, thought.

That is true, yet if you don't leave the shroud accordingly to these skills CD you do waste some damage output. It mean that you want to time your shroud exit in such a way that your wells come off CD 1 or 2s before being able to enter shroud again. In other words, since these wells have a 20s CD under the effect of alacrity, a 60% shroud uptime is optimal while a 100% shroud uptime isn't. Soul spiral usually also being on a 20s CD thank to soul reaping and alacrity make respecting such uptime even more important.

• Like 3