An easy and fair solution to the "easier Skyscaler drama". [Merged]

On 7/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, Aodlop.1907 said:

There. The skyscale can now be acquired by most people, and those who put in the effort to get it back when it was a grind are rewarded with a unique appearance, and a display of their efforts. 

Everyone is happy. 

But... what if I don't like that unique skin and therefore won't use it? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Geronmy.3298 said:

The solution was provided on the same post.You get extra abilities if you already have the skyscale fully maxxed out. If players that unlocked the skyscale on SotO want these new abilities they will have to do the old method.

Yes but since they have the skyscale they dont need to do the old collections they can just buy the maps and fill out the mastery track.

• Confused 1

On 7/7/2023 at 1:32 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I still find it crazy that people actually believe that the skyscale is a grind or an accomplishment. 

The drama is overblown. 

If it isn't a grind, then Anet please don't do anything, maintain the original way to get it lor. why make new "easier" more streamline alternate way to get? 

On 7/8/2023 at 10:21 AM, Antrix.4512 said:

I'm glad that after the release of the expansion, players will find it easier to acquire Skyscale. I started unlocking this mount before the announcement and finished after it, literally just got the mount a few days ago. I originally tried to go through the whole process without investing gold and could have waited for the release of the new DLC, of course, but I wanted to finish all this mess out of principle.

I am truly and sincerely glad that this process will become easier for new players as well as for those who could not or did not want to get it earlier for various reasons. I can only say that this was my most terrible experience of all I have ever experienced in absolutely any game. I never want to repeat anything like this in my life and never will, even if it's the most super useful thing in the game. And to be honest - I don't even use Skyscale now, I probably developed some kind of disgust for all that nightmare, grind, all these time restrictions, a hundreds of collectibles, visiting the same places thousands times, etc., and I just can't find any use for it at all. I got no pleasure from this process and consider it the most vain waste of time of everything I've ever done in my life. And even when the coveted "New Mount Acquired" appeared on the screen, the first thought wasn't "Wow, cool!" but just a [censored] nothing in terms of emotions and only one phrase in my head - "thanx God this [censored] [censored] is over".

I don't want any rewards for unlocking this mount the "legacy" way and no advantages over those who will unlock it in an easier way because I wouldn't wish anyone ever to go through such a hassle to get essentially a useless mount. I genuinely look at things and realize that it's simply not worth all that had to go through. It's just another something that a player can get, but which he can do perfectly well without, unlike, say, the griffon

Thank you, and well said.  I will not do it unless  they give it out for free.  I hope they at least give you a turtle for your pain as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/7/2023 at 9:27 PM, knives.6345 said:

No. Will not happen.

Skin = money. For a one-time purchase game, these money keeps servers afloat.

Long quest = game time, higher probability of someone spending on Gem Store = money.

Want something? Work for it. Lots of people have it. Heck, I have it and I have a full-time job. People who have family/kids have it.

Tip? Just do one step at a time. Does not matter if you play 1hr a day or 16hrs. If you start it now, you will get it.

Otherwise:

It's boring? then you don't want it enough.

It's tedious? then you don't want it enough.

It's grindy? then you don't want it enough.

But I play to relax. then you don't want it enough. Go play The Sims or something. Tetris.

What's with the current generation wanting everything easy. If people who want Skyscale start doing Skyscale-y quests now instead of coming up with ideas to "make it easier" - they would've had Skyscale now, or half of the progress.

I have been on the quest for over six months and I am not going to do it.  Get it now?

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Geronmy.3298 said:

The solution was provided on the same post.You get extra abilities if you already have the skyscale fully maxxed out. If players that unlocked the skyscale on SotO want these new abilities they will have to do the old method.

Which method, old method 1 or method 2?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Areoh.7495 said:

I have been on the quest for over six months and I am not going to do it.  Get it now?

Yes, I get it. You really don't want it that much. For 6 months, you could have gotten it if you do like 1-2 quests per week.

I got it in 2 weeks. I just returned to the game last January 2023 - 7 years after I quit, looked up how to get it via Wiki, planned on it, especially what the time-gated quests are. I have a full-time job, I play max 3hrs a day except weekends.

Started doing quests one at a time. I focused on it and did little other things like joining meta - because I want it. I saw QOL in-game is a lot easier with it.

I read it was easier now because of the "Return to <place>" achievements. 

Yes, I spent gold to skip most of the JP-required tasks - but that's the price I had to pay because I sucked at JP and I don't bother practicing at all.

So what did you do to get it for the past 6 months? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, knives.6345 said:

You really don't want it that much.

There's a fine line between will and deeming something worth the effort it takes to get it.

We're not all the same, what's worth it to me may not be worth it to you and vice-versa.

I finished the skyscale after they introduces the Bjora Marches vendor, because the first method wasn't worth the effort to me, other people may have different tolerances and that's ok.

That's not to say everything should be handed out freely, that wouldn't do, but Anet is a private company, they need profit and selling skins is a big part of it, not having mounts extremely easy to get for everyone is a LOSS to them.

Edit: there's also the question of what's required to play the new xpac, if flying is required, they better give it to everyone for free like WoW does with dragon flying.

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

My reward for unlocking the skyscale like 4-5 years ago was 4-5 years of using the skyscale.

I don't really need Anet to come up with special ways to baby me just because i spent a week doing PoF map hearts and playing catch half a decade ago.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

There's a fine line between will and deeming something worth the effort it takes to get it.

I agree.

If something is "not worth the effort" then you don't really want it that much. Then crying here is not logical.

If you "want" the Skyscale, you put in effort to get it - as other players have done. It's not impossible. It's not even near impossible.

I finished the skyscale after they introduces the Bjora Marches vendor, because the first method wasn't worth the effort to me, other people may have different tolerances and that's ok.

I agree again. If one cannot tolerate any of the methods to get Skyscale - they don't want it enough. Otherwise, they would've sifted through wiki, forums, map chat, youtube tutorials, practiced playing to get it. Aka: They would've put effort. Right?

All I am saying is people have it. It's not near impossible to get. Hard? Yes. Long? Hell yes. Annoying? Yes. But people got it. Unless you can prove to me that only hardcore gamers got it, there is no change needed on obtaining it. Be patient, learn to play, practice your focus. Like I mentioned, I dropped like 90% of my daily routine to accommodate Skyscale quests. I am not saying it's the best way, but there is a way.

That's not to say everything should be handed out freely, that wouldn't do, but Anet is a private company, they need profit and selling skins is a big part of it, not having mounts extremely easy to get for everyone is a LOSS to them.

I agree, again. Skyscale is just one of the mounts we have. Skyscale is the most versatile, yes, but there are numerous times that a Raptor or Roller Beetle is much better in traversing map. So, if one doesn't have Skyscale, there are still more chances of buying skins than losing income. Still on ANet's side in terms of income. And again, more and more players have Skyscale already, so there's that.

• Confused 3

24 minutes ago, knives.6345 said:

Unless you can prove to me that only hardcore gamers got it, there is no change needed on obtaining it.

Noone knows that, tho now that you mentioned it, I'd love to know numbers.

but there are numerous times that a Raptor or Roller Beetle is much better in traversing map.

Oh that's true, even tho I still haven't learned to properly control the beetle, I fall off cliffs every time 😄

If one cannot tolerate any of the methods to get Skyscale - they don't want it enough

I don't see it that way, I mean, I can only speak for myself ofc, but while I do agree to an extent that if you really want something you put in the effort, there are times in which devs exaggerate a bit with requirements, that was the case with the first method in my opinion, that is, it's not that I didn't want it enough, it's that I believed they should have revised the requirements, and I didn't do it hoping the majority of players agreed to it so devs would have lowered the requirements or give an more "humane" option to grind the currency, and that's exactly what happened with the vendor.

That is to say that sometimes "refusing" to do something means you want to send a message, not that you don't want that thing enough, IMO ofc.

Edit: to add: I never complained about it tho, there was no need since devs have all the metrics.

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Confused 1

On 7/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, patton the great.7126 said:

I have the skyscale, I don't need a fancy skin. I played swg unlocked jedi before nge hit got a fancy elder robe/kenobi's legacy lightsaber crystal, I can tell you now exclusive kitten does nothing good for the community.

I'm happy others will be happy, let your gameplay do the talking!

Oh Man I remember that in swg. wild. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:51 AM, jason.1083 said:

Yeah, indeed the whole thing has too much drama that has dragged a lot. 

I think it's fine to have a second way to get the skyscale, especially since they'll make it so it's not gonna be at it's full potential if you go that route alone. I do hope though it's not gonna be trivial and basically just handed out to people for free, it would take away from the novelty it currently has. 

I do understand why a lot of people are upset about it though. Imagine for a second that when the next mini-expac comes around all mounts will be made a f2p feature, and Skyscales will be handed out at level 10 for free. Wouldn't you feel cheated then, that people get something for free that you had to pay for, that's what people are worried the game will turn into. I don't think it will but I'm not the one to decide. 

Maybe that was an extreme example, but effectively that's what it is. 

No because it’s none of my business. Another player getting a skyscale doesn’t affect me at all so why should I be bothered?

• Like 5

On 7/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, captrowdy.9561 said:

No because it’s none of my business. Another player getting a skyscale doesn’t affect me at all so why should I be bothered?

The issue with the whole "it doesn't affect me" argument is that most things probably would not affect players and yet there are a lot of things which probably should not be available. 

For example, if ArenaNet made the new legendary armor available in the gem store; would you be okay with this?  Certainly you would be as it wouldn't affect you.  What if players could pay to have achievements marked as completed for them?  This wouldn't affect you either.  What if they could pay to have all of their masteries completed?

After posting this, I should probably state that I have not given my opinion for or against the additional way to obtain the skyscale.  I shouldn't have to state this but there's always that one person that has to make up what the opinion would be.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Confused 4

On 7/9/2023 at 3:43 AM, DeathPanel.8362 said:

The problem here is it makes it so that newer players will never have a chance to get this skin.

The new Skyscale collection should give something that makes it uniquely different from the old collection so that there's an incentive for players to get both collections.

They should delete the skyscale like they did to the Mech.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:55 AM, Linken.6345 said:

old method if you want the bonus stuff.

There was no old method 2.

Isn't method 2 what they are using now.  So upon expansion that will be method three. 

On 7/9/2023 at 5:00 PM, knives.6345 said:

Yes, I get it. You really don't want it that much. For 6 months, you could have gotten it if you do like 1-2 quests per week.

I got it in 2 weeks. I just returned to the game last January 2023 - 7 years after I quit, looked up how to get it via Wiki, planned on it, especially what the time-gated quests are. I have a full-time job, I play max 3hrs a day except weekends.

Started doing quests one at a time. I focused on it and did little other things like joining meta - because I want it. I saw QOL in-game is a lot easier with it.

I read it was easier now because of the "Return to <place>" achievements. 

Yes, I spent gold to skip most of the JP-required tasks - but that's the price I had to pay because I sucked at JP and I don't bother practicing at all.

So what did you do to get it for the past 6 months? 

Another legendary weapon I use. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Areoh.7495 said:

Isn't method 2 what they are using now.  So upon expansion that will be method three. 

Another legendary weapon I use. 

No there is this method we have now and the new method we get in the SotO expansion.

Just because the old method have been made easier over the years dont make it another method.