Most overpowered builds ever in PvP?

ddos.1407

Considering that we are all in Cata nerf waiting room and ranked is unplayable at the moment, let's take a look back at the most spectacular balance failures in the history of GW2.

It's kinda hard to remember as years pass, but here are a few that comes to my mind:

1. Signet Cata 

2. FA Cata (what a coincidence!)

3. Condi mirage right after release (got nerfed like 6 times in a row afterwards)

What's yours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Personally, I find everything in the game right now to be incredibly weak, and things like ele are just the strongest of the weaklings, so i feel bad for people that have to fight ele, but my build is just made to completely circumvent that nonsense (cause it just hasn't been nerfed yet due to being off meta which is how I've always played)

in comparison to the meta's of the past...

Like you don't remember PP Deadeye meta...But this meta was actually so bad that it was fun in a hilarious way. People getting rolled up on for 40k damage in less than a second traveling at the speed of thief...that was comical levels of funny. You don't have builds like this anymore, hardly even close.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

-Bunker Chrono in release. (This is what killed esports for gw2)

-Power Herald on release. (You died to a legend swap and ressing players gave glint heal)

-Perma dodge staff thief (beserker amulet can hold a node 1v3 just from spamming jump+staff 3)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

There are only 2 other builds from previous patchings that even begin to come close to the level of disruption that modern Ele is causing:

1. Current Catalysts & All Eles in general at this exact moment
  2. Original Chronobunker
  3. pre-expansions Cele Core Elementalist

A lot of things have spent a lot of time being really strong in the top meta, but those 3 are the only ones worthy to sit in a top 3 bracketing of: "The most broken of all time."

• Like 4
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Endorphin.9147 said:

-Bunker Chrono in release. (This is what killed esports for gw2)

-Power Herald on release. (You died to a legend swap and ressing players gave glint heal)

-Perma dodge staff thief (beserker amulet can hold a node 1v3 just from spamming jump+staff 3)

oh yea I remember this meta, bunker chrono and power herald! lol.

When herald bugged this last patch, where you only did like 100 damage per hit...that was bunker chrono meta. 

Also around the same time in WvW, meta was Condi Reaper Shouts that would do 60 bleed stacks 💀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Also around the same time in WvW, meta was Condi Reaper Shouts that would do 60 bleed stacks 💀

Oh yeahh. I remember old chill reaper before the bleeds, where they just made chill itself do dmg. It was 600-800 dmg ticks.

3 minutes ago, Endorphin.9147 said:

Oh yeahh. I remember old chill reaper before the bleeds, where they just made chill itself do dmg. It was 600-800 dmg ticks.

haha ya...the OG condi reaper meta when tempests would actually run around and heal their reapers :x

Was a pretty annoying meta tbh...way stronger then anything today cause running around with cleric amulet was no joke, but their was a lot of damage in the game to balance out those forces, so it's hard to say.

14 minutes ago, Vamp Rook.7835 said:

What about the petting zoo?

petting zoo? you mean minion mancer meta? you know that was guild wars meme right.

Builds sucked so bad that MM, the laughing stock of the game became meta lol. not enough damage in the game to kill minions.

wasn't overpowered at all, but that time period was just terrible expierence. lots of damage was done to the game mode , like half the amulets getting removed.

1 hour ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

petting zoo? you mean minion mancer meta? you know that was guild wars meme right.

Builds sucked so bad that MM, the laughing stock of the game became meta lol. not enough damage in the game to kill minions.

wasn't overpowered at all, but that time period was just terrible expierence. lots of damage was done to the game mode , like half the amulets getting removed.

No, I mean teams playing double spirit ranger during GW2 Invitational qualifiers on 2013, then they make a rule for not stacking profs on the main event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1- Signet Cata (recently)

2- FA Cata (for months in a row)

3- Firebrand Scourge duo (yeah, it's not a single one, but they didn't work so much alone, but together were really kitten busted) at release

4-Chronobunker at release

5-Tempest support - First in HoT; then now  (Not the same build, but similar roles)

6- Sword Weaver for a period (Mid PoF? I don't remember)

7- Spellbreaker for several periods 

8- Explosives rifle Holo for a short period (the one that could dodge while laying mines)

9- Deadeye for a short period (in PoF, the one that had 1 unblockable one shot skill).

10- Longbow Soulbeast for a short period

Since 4th I don't know if they are in order, 'cause I don't remember well and I can't compare themselves with different meta's context (For example, if Soulbeast were again in his prime, he still be outclased by current cata; but Firebrand Scoruge duo could still be a big headche if they were buffed at their prime. Also, I didn't play before HoT. Among old core Meta, the strongest were Ele and Necro? or I am wrong

Edited by AlPower.2476
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Personally, I find everything in the game right now to be incredibly weak, and things like ele are just the strongest of the weaklings, so i feel bad for people that have to fight ele, but my build is just made to completely circumvent that nonsense (cause it just hasn't been nerfed yet due to being off meta which is how I've always played)

in comparison to the meta's of the past...

Like you don't remember PP Deadeye meta...But this meta was actually so bad that it was fun in a hilarious way. People getting rolled up on for 40k damage in less than a second traveling at the speed of thief...that was comical levels of funny. You don't have builds like this anymore, hardly even close.

I wanted to say the opposite. Everything is so power creeped and broken. Game needs a full reset in terms of mobility, dmg and sustain. Even weak stuff in comparision is still spammy, often quite facetanky (compared to a balanced amount of sustain) and overall faceroll to play.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ano nimo.3948 said:

Game needs a full reset in terms of mobility, dmg and sustain.

damage was definitely higher in the past, game was certainly burstier overall
sic em soulbeast, worldly impact, rev sword 4, that kinda stuff

but on a relative basis some stuff (mostly cata) rn does massive damage compared to what everyone else is doing after the feb 2020 patch

the rest tho, definitely agree
PoF brought a ton of ability spam and boon uptime, EoD had nowhere else to go except crazy sustain and mobility so it's not exactly surprising

• Like 2

Viper Malyx/Herald after HoT release, when Banish Enchantment was Corrupting 3 boons for 20 energy w/o CD.

Make Malyx great again and all Catas gonna vanish with over 9000 boons converted into conditions...

Edited by Morwath.9817
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:13 PM, Shagie.7612 said:

damage was definitely higher in the past, game was certainly burstier overall
sic em soulbeast, worldly impact, rev sword 4, that kinda stuff

but on a relative basis some stuff (mostly cata) rn does massive damage compared to what everyone else is doing after the feb 2020 patch

the rest tho, definitely agree
PoF brought a ton of ability spam and boon uptime, EoD had nowhere else to go except crazy sustain and mobility so it's not exactly surprising

In absolute numbers? I doubt. Do you have sources somehow? Since the crazy amount of sustain needs higher dmg, otherwise nothing would die currently. 

Most op builds i remember right now:

- Ele (starting with core dd cele)

-Ele 

-Ele 

In the end every class had some builds standing out of an overall since years braindead game.

Edited by ano nimo.3948
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

All of the Professions are broken at the moment; not just Elementalist Profession. Elementalist Profession appears to be the most broken Profession at the moment but remember; as a Mesmer Profession and Ranger Profession main; we can still 1 shot

With Thief Profession having 11 years and counting of being the most Toxic Design Profession amongst them all.. with also having 11 years of  The Worst Bad Design Broken Stealth Mechanic in the Gaming Competitive Industry...

why don't we all unite and call out for the removal of Thief Profession than....alongside with its Toxic Broken Stealth Mechanic than??

Not Elementalist Profession, Not Mesmer Profession....are the biggest threat to Guild Wars 2 stability but Thief Profession...with its Toxic Broken Design Mechanic.

11 Years later, till this day, Anet continues to Support, Allow and Justify Thief Profession to continue create a Toxic experience to Guild Wars 2 environment including to all remaining Professions, including its playerbase.

--Once again, until there is a 'house clean-up' with having a new Philosophy and Leadership... every Professions are Broken and will remain Broken!!--

P-E-R-I-O-D !!

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ano nimo.3948 said:

In absolute numbers? I doubt. Do you have sources somehow? Since the crazy amount of sustain needs higher dmg, otherwise nothing would die currently. 

Most op builds i remember right now:

- Ele (starting with core dd cele)

-Ele 

-Ele 

-old ci mesmer builds (all of them, also mirage utilized it the best in the end)

- bunker chrono (short after HoT release)

- Bladesworn before nerfs 

In the end every class had some builds standing out of an overall since years braindead game.

Prior to 2020, all resurrection traits like the one for geyser usto be 7-10%. They’ve all been dropped to 1-3% max or completely removed

Damage was dropped across the board…autos in particular, like thief 1 dagger autos usto hit for 4-5k a piece.

All stuns usto do damage. Bulls charge would Crit for like 6-7k

target caps on some skills were 10 instead of 5

quickness stomping  usto be a thing.

and like mentioned earlier with things like deathly chill applied 3 bleeds per chill application.

And there’s a lot more examples but yea right up to end of PoF damage was pretty insane. That was largely the reason why the 2020 nerf thing happened and why we have cmc to begin with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In terms of absolute power current cata is kind of low compared to historical top builds especially from pre feb 2020 and even some more recent ones since it feels like 80% of relevant pvp changes are nerfs lately. However current cata is head and shoulders above everything else right now which should be considered as builds don't exist in a vacuum and their "OPness" is contingent on how well the rest of the meta can deal with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1