Unfair pricing for old players

As an old Guild Wars 2 player, I feel betrayed and disappointed by the different pricing on Steam.

On steam the game costs 447 Turkish Liras (https://prnt.sc/P89HIPO2Uq6S) It's almost 15,6 Euro for now. (https://prnt.sc/NmD5TA0xay_2) (Its even cheaper because of summer sale like 7.8 Euro (https://prnt.sc/sw_W_VPBzYrf))

As an old Guild Wars 2 player, i can't connect my account to Steam, that i need to buy the game from third party pages or in game. Now lets compare this prices.

1- Guildwars2.com = Eod (WITH DISCOUNT!) 24 € which is 686 Turkish Liras (https://prnt.sc/21Ajy2wc_zNQ) /  Soto 25 € = 715 Turkish Liras (https://prnt.sc/mHGoKrfdZxSl)

2- (P)inguin.net = Eod = 23 € = 652 Turkish Liras (https://prnt.sc/1_3Dy-3PMQHE)

3- (P)urma(D)lay = Eod = 797 Turkish Liras with discount (without 1057 Turkish Liras) (https://prnt.sc/UtDi6q6y2bqD)

I am a student, even 447 Turkish Liras is too much for me but i can pay in 2 months. I'm really sorry but +650 looks like a scam.

They are even playing with the Steam security and local pricing. Why do we old players needs to pay more than them?

Edited by Heroic.6740
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

I think the official site might be calculating the currency conversion differently to Steam. In UK pounds all the prices are the same on both sites (both the sale prices and the normal ones). If they were deliberately pricing it differently I think they'd do it for everyone.

I suggest looking for 3rd party sellers. You need to be careful to use ones you can trust of course because there are fake keys and scam sites out there, but you can often find the game cheaper on a reliable 3rd party site than the official one, because they'll have their own sales and promotions.

Edited by Danikat.8537

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think the official site might be calculating the currency conversion differently to Steam. In UK pounds all the prices are the same on both sites (both the sale prices and the normal ones). If they were deliberately pricing it differently I think they'd do it for everyone.

I suggest looking for 3rd party sellers. You need to be careful to use ones you can trust of course because there are fake keys and scam sites out there, but you can often find the game cheaper on a reliable 3rd party site than the official one, because they'll have their own sales and promotions.

Is that means; cheapest GW2 is on Steam now, for 7.8 Euro?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Why not play your existing account that you've presumably already paid for?  Is access to it no longer available?

They want the upgrades cheaper like there is on steam without starting over.

Even tho Anet said that is not how it  will work years before the game even got to steam.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

They want the upgrades cheaper like there is on steam without starting over.

Even tho Anet said that is not how it  will work years before the game even got to steam.

Yeah, thats what im talking about. Why are we paying more?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Because steam got regional pricing and anet dont.

If Steam GW2 different than ANet GW2, then why are we playing on same server? 

1 hour ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

People forget that when they made the older expansions cheaper, they cut out character and shared slot unlocks from them.

Take my character / shared slot unlocks for the every expansions and make them 7.8 €, im OK with that xD

Edited by Heroic.6740
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Heroic.6740 said:

Yeah, thats what im talking about. Why are we paying more?

I wish Steam offered regional pricing for us as well, games are ~25% more expensive than they were in 2020 without Anet changing the price. Be happy you atleast can pay less.

2 hours ago, Heroic.6740 said:

If Steam GW2 different than ANet GW2, then why are we playing on same server? 

Steam is a distribution platform GW2 is on. They take a cut from the revenue GW2 makes on Steam. If you go to a store you'll see that games are probably ~5€ more expensive there, if not more. 
Steam discounting GW2 is separate from Anet's discounts.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I wish Steam offered regional pricing for us as well, games are ~25% more expensive than they were in 2020 without Anet changing the price. Be happy you atleast can pay less.

Steam is a distribution platform GW2 is on. They take a cut from the revenue GW2 makes on Steam. If you go to a store you'll see that games are probably ~5€ more expensive there, if not more. 
Steam discounting GW2 is separate from Anet's discounts.

I don't want to pay cheaper. I want equality for every player. If you are paying 25€ that guy on Steam needs to pay 25€ too. 

Secondly, the games on Steam is almost %40 cheaper than the page of any game in Turkey. Thats unfair too. Games are not the "must to buy" things.

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, Heroic.6740 said:

I don't want to pay cheaper. I want equality for every player. If you are paying 25€ that guy on Steam needs to pay 25€ too. 

Secondly, the games on Steam is almost %40 cheaper than the page of any game in Turkey. Thats unfair too. Games are not the "must to buy" things.

Steam Summer Sale and Steam's regional pricing is why it's cheaper, Steam decides whether they want to discount something or not and allows many people to pay with their own currency, adjusted. 
Anet gets less money out of Steam sales than their own, since Steam cuts money from sales. Steam offers Turkey a chance to pay with their own currency and pay less for their purchases and you are here complaining people on Steam can buy stuff cheaper while also complaining Anet's pricing is expensive.

You have to pay more outside Steam, because your currency is in the ground, and that's not Anet's fault.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Steam Summer Sale and Steam's regional pricing is why it's cheaper, Steam decides whether they want to discount something or not and allows many people to pay with their own currency, adjusted. 
Anet gets less money out of Steam sales than their own, since Steam cuts money from sales. Steam offers Turkey a chance to pay with their own currency and pay less for their purchases and you are here complaining people on Steam can buy stuff cheaper while also complaining Anet's pricing is expensive.

You have to pay more outside Steam, because your currency is in the ground, and that's not Anet's fault.

I totally agree the last part of it. Its in the ground of the ground, but its not under my control..

The problem is; how are you OK with that situation? Some players are paying less than you for the same game you are playing.

It's like you are paying for an Apple product for 1k$ but in the same day a guy buys it for 100$. Will you OK with that and how?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

Games in Turkey are usually much cheaper than the western world. This is why games deals usually require VPN to buy games via Turkey;.

I live in Turkey. The only difference between with me and the new guy on Steam is the platform. Theres two sollution for it;

1- Make Steam price same as the web page of the game.

2- Make the price on the page same as the Steam.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Hmm this is not the first time that I have read a complaint that Gw2 costs significantly more in Turkey.  Does your government add tariffs, fees, or extra taxes to games that are developed by foreign corporations?  I would not be surprised. 

I would be interested if Steam found a legal loophole that Anet isn't allowed to use. 

1 minute ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Hmm this is not the first time that I have read a complaint that Gw2 costs significantly more in Turkey.  Does your government add tariffs, fees, or extra taxes to games that are developed by foreign corporations?  I would not be surprised. 

I would be interested if Steam found a legal loophole that Anet isn't allowed to use. 

I'm not complaining about the cost of GW2.

As an old player who lives in Turkey, i must buy with the EU price of the game. But the new guy on Steam, who is living in Turkey too pays cheaper than me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Heroic.6740 said:

I totally agree the last part of it. Its in the ground of the ground, but its not under my control..

The problem is; how are you OK with that situation? Some players are paying less than you for the same game you are playing.

It's like you are paying for an Apple product for 1k$ but in the same day a guy buys it for 100$. Will you OK with that and how?

Hold on, is the issue that Turkish people, who are in a financially worse spot than many of us actually get to pay less for the game to make it more realistic for them? I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm fine with the fact that there are people who are probably in a worse economic situation than me(Hungary isn't in the best spot either) can pay less for the game so that their pricing stays realistic. 

6 minutes ago, Heroic.6740 said:

1- Make Steam price same as the web page of the game.

Yeah, noone will be on your side with this option.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The problem is not the price of the game. BAAAH... The problem is;

If i make a new character from the same PC im using right now on steam from 0, i can buy the every expansion (includes Eod - Soto) %60 cheaper than the account im using, which is 9 yo. to buy  "JUST" Eod and Soto.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Heroic.6740 said:

The problem is not the price of the game. BAAAH... The problem is;

If i make a new character from the same PC im using right now on steam from 0, i can buy the every expansion (includes Eod - Soto) %60 cheaper than the account im using, which is 9 yo. to buy  "JUST" Eod and Soto.

That is not a problem that is what happens when game comes to steam so you can use ur own currency and a steam sale is going.

Shouldent you be happy that you fellow country men/women can buy the game and play with you?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Heroic.6740 said:

I'm not complaining about the cost of GW2.

As an old player who lives in Turkey, i must buy with the EU price of the game. But the new guy on Steam, who is living in Turkey too pays cheaper than me.

I am saying that because Steam hosts games but does not make or publish those games, Turkey may not place the same restrictions on the Steam Corporation.  If the government of Turkey adds penalties to the Arena Net Corporation for selling their game in Turkey, then Anet will charge more.  If the government does not penalize Steam for simply hosting games in Turkey then Steam can charge less.

I believe that the price difference is the fault of the government and not the fault of Anet or Steam.  

• Like 1

Imagine it as real shops. In my town I can buy games from a video game shop, or I can get them from the supermarket. The exact same game is often cheaper at the supermarket because they're a big, national chain and they can afford to make less profit on individual items by selling more of them.

It's the same with Anet's website and Steam. Anet sells the game for the full retail price, or a discount of their choice because that's what they think it should cost. Steam is a seperate shop with permission to sell the same game, they can choose to make it cheaper through regional pricing, different discounts and other methods and can afford to do that because they're such a big retailer, and because having better prices will keep people coming back to them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I believe that the price difference is the fault of the government and not the fault of Anet or Steam.  

On Steam they made 1$=10₺ / irl 1$=26₺ But the game companies are able to change local prices of any game like on this screenshot (https://prnt.sc/exsJ2E0tqGpW

Just now, Danikat.8537 said:

Imagine it as real shops. In my town I can buy games from a video game shop, or I can get them from the supermarket. The exact same game is often cheaper at the supermarket because they're a big, national chain and they can afford to make less profit on individual items by selling more of them.

It's the same with Anet's website and Steam. Anet sells the game for the full retail price, or a discount of their choice because that's what they think it should cost. Steam is a seperate shop with permission to sell the same game, they can choose to make it cheaper through regional pricing, different discounts and other methods and can afford to do that because they're such a big retailer, and because having better prices will keep people coming back to them.

I live in the location of that supermarket. But the product owner doesn't let me go that supermarket. It forces me to use game shop. I'm totally OK if the product owner lets me use supermarket or game shop. The problem is the force that you need to use video game shop. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1