Do something about pulls

Pulls should be subject to Line of Sight* like everything else and not be so broken and glitchy with terrain.

You can like the idea of having a pull in the game, but in WvW it's extremely spotty with client side "pulls" from miles away, pulls through walls, etc.

Here's a thought: Just have a certain distance pulled at max. Like 600-900 and then have it stop. If there's a fight between clients the pulled character will end up somewhere in the middle. As it is it's reminiscent of Pudge/Chen hooks in old Dota 2.

Edited by Unbound.1370

I logged out after 10 minutes, we Logged in to Final Fantasy 14 after we were constantly pulled at 1500+ yards. Mind you; 1500 yards is "unique" to Ranger Profession. 

Lies.....

Good Day!

(2021 thread)

“If you want to know the future, look at the past.”

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/94994-why-is-there-1200-range-unblockable-pulls-in-wvw/page/2/

"Some pulls can bring you back from over 2k range and some won't work even if your enemy is standing still 50 cm away from your face."

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Would you also like the pull to open up a dialog box asking if you would like to be pulled or not?

I'm sorry, line of sight is a core part of the (and almost any) game. This comment is unhelpful.

Or you're making some contextual joke that went right over my head. Could be either.

20 minutes ago, Unbound.1370 said:

I'm sorry, line of sight is a core part of the (and almost any) game. This comment is unhelpful.

Or you're making some contextual joke that went right over my head. Could be either.

You are creating the start of a list based on the premise that pulls are op and need to be nerfed and in the same breathe they are being exploited/ are bug ridden. My mocking is more pointing out that they are functioning how they should be, as they have always been only they have been nerfed over the years because of noob complaints. Two of the most "broken" things with pulls were the dragonhunter's spear pull which would throw you straight up in the air and revs offhand sword pull which had unlimited range. Spear of Justice was fixed I think and rev no longer has pull on offhand sword.

The line of sight thing is pretty inaccurate as there are MANY skills in this game that don't respect los. Pretty much every aoe skill in this game doesn't respect los in some capacity. People seem to think temporal curtain is some odd exception that breaks this "los rule" and yet it functions exactly like every other cast at range aoe skill. Its placement respects los and its aoe does not. Just like 99% of the other skills with cast at range aoe. Obvious examples are marks and meteor shower.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Would you also like the pull to open up a dialog box asking if you would like to be pulled or not?

Would that even help? You'd get people complaining they are forced to click no and elitist.

(Though I guess for some melee classes it is actually beneficial to get pulled. Some necros use a reflected spectral grasp as a mobility skill.)

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, Justine.6351 said:

You are creating the start of a list based on the premise that pulls are op and need to be nerfed and in the same breathe they are being exploited/ are bug ridden. My mocking is more pointing out that they are functioning how they should be, as they have always been only they have been nerfed over the years because of noob complaints. Two of the most "broken" things with pulls were the dragonhunter's spear pull which would throw you straight up in the air and revs offhand sword pull which had unlimited range. Spear of Justice was fixed I think and rev no longer has pull on offhand sword.

The line of sight thing is pretty inaccurate as there are MANY skills in this game that don't respect los. Pretty much every aoe skill in this game doesn't respect los in some capacity. People seem to think temporal curtain is some odd exception that breaks this "los rule" and yet it functions exactly like every other cast at range aoe skill. Its placement respects los and its aoe does not. Just like 99% of the other skills with cast at range aoe. Obvious examples are marks and meteor shower.

I'm not sure I ever said pulls were OP. If you are referring to when I said they were "broken and glitchy" I meant it literally, not as a comment on balance. Some interaction with walls and terrain are not working correctly, I think someone posted a montage of wacky interactions. Pulls themselves are an important part of the play counter-play idea of competitive modes. However they should be worked on coding wise, and since I having seen interaction problems with pulls in other competitive games (I referenced dota), I suggested a potential fix.

Line of sight is a core part of competitive gameplay. Pulls are targeted, not AoE, and almost all targeted abilities use LoS. I was wrong here. Just stop being able to target the side of cliffs as the "target" and we're good.

Edited by Unbound.1370
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Unbound.1370 said:

I'm not sure I ever said pulls were OP. If you are referring to when I said they were "broken and glitchy" I meant it literally, not as a comment on balance. Some interaction with walls and terrain are not working correctly, I think someone posted a montage of wacky interactions. Pulls themselves are an important part of the play counter-play idea of competitive modes. However they should be worked on coding wise, and since I having seen interaction problems with pulls in other competitive games (I referenced dota), I suggested a potential fix.

Line of sight is a core part of competitive gameplay. Pulls are targeted, not AoE, and almost all targeted abilities use LoS. I'm not sure why you would ever want a targeted ability NOT to use LoS, or why you would think that made sense. Perhaps if it was an AoE pull?

I don't think I can help you.

11 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Would that even help? You'd get people complaining they are forced to click no and elitist.

(Though I guess for some melee classes it is actually beneficial to get pulled. Some necros use a reflected spectral grasp as a mobility skill.)

Sounds like they need to make spectral grasp unblockable to fix that exploit.

• Haha 1

Just now, Justine.6351 said:

I don't think I can help you.

If you wanted to be helpful you could:

• Read my comment again with the context I was not speaking about balance
  • Be slightly less snarky in discussions (just a lil)
  • Respond to my accusations that it has glitchy interactions with terrain
  • Suggest a different change, or;
  • Defend why LoS shouldn't apply from a competitive / interactive context. Are you suggesting your ideal state for the skill is not to use LoS? I guess I'm really confused about why anyone wouldn't want it to.

2 minutes ago, Unbound.1370 said:

If you wanted to be helpful you could:

• Read my comment again with the context I was not speaking about balance
  • Be slightly less snarky in discussions (just a lil)
  • Respond to my accusations that it has glitchy interactions with terrain
  • Suggest a different change, or;
  • Defend why LoS shouldn't apply from a competitive / interactive context. Are you suggesting your ideal state for the skill is not to use LoS? I guess I'm really confused about why anyone wouldn't want it to.

Apparently it is you who didn't read.

5 minutes ago, Unbound.1370 said:

If you don't want to discuss stuff, why are you here?

I did, you chose not to read the part where I explained to you that pretty much all aoe doesn't respect los to some degree. Temporal Curtain respects los, Into the Void does not because it is aoe and a pull. Every projectile pull respects los afaik.

17 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

get pulled off a wall more

Just another toxic comment, of which you've posted many across the forum. Still have no idea why you're here.

Pulling off of walls isn't an issue and I've never said it was. Pulling from excessive distance or through terrain is. Asking things to work well in a competitive mode is reasonable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unbound.1370 said:

Just another toxic comment, of which you've posted many across the forum. Still have no idea why you're here.

Pulling off of walls isn't an issue and I've never said it was. Pulling from excessive distance or through terrain is. Asking things to work well in a competitive mode is reasonable.

vid?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unbound.1370 said:

First off welcome to the forums. All are welcome in Forum Wars 2. I won't add any comments to pulls at this time since this a welcome post. Don't take it as anything else at this time.