suggestion : gear related abilities

Hello,

I just thought about this. Considering the devs think there are enough elite specs, considering it would still be nice to have new utility, heal and elite skills to me, i thought about this 2 copper idea to allow for more customization : make some gear pieces grant a new skill.

For example, someone could wield a legendary or hardly obtained ascended weapon and gain access to a new attack skill. Or maybe that armour piece could grant a new utility skill. Maybe an armour set could grant a new elite skill and so on.

Or maybe make that available through infusions or else that you slot into armours etc.

How do you guys feel about that ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

Skill. Elite skill. You mentioned them yourself.

Pro tip: When reading something, and there are two interpretations, one of which doesn't make sense in the context, maybe the other one is the one the author intended?

But okay, let's try again.

So instead of picking a utility skill, I have to farm for and pick a specific piece of armor that contains that utility skill?
For why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Hum, you do realize that if they wanted to added new skills, they could (and would) do it without that convoluted system ? (Which both add nothing and actually limit personalisation as you would need specific gear for specific skill) 

I was going to say exactly the same thing. They've added individual skills which weren't part of an elite spec before (like the antitoxin healing skill, although that got taken away again). If they want to add individual skills instead of whole specs they can do it without needing to add a complicated new system to use them.

Although items which add a new ability sounds a lot like the relic system which is coming with SotO, those are basically the 6th rune effects split out to be their own thing so I assume they'll do similar things to runes now, including summoning temporary pets, extra effects on your attacks or special buffs.

• Thanks 1

Well roleplaying is commonly both a matter of variety and choices. Choices add value to your game. Else you could say the same for elite specs as well. And itemization could be a good way to introduce a reward system for it as well as make crafting possible somewhere in the mix.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

i think they were talking about the weaver new 3 rd key weapon skill, some warrior specific skills and the like since it's related to their addition. I didn't read that as if they were adding full skill set like utility, healing and elite skills which are unrelated to weaponry or so. If they did they would have made things more clear about it and emphasized on it on the same level as weapon skills, which they didn't do. You don't focus your ad on a scooter if you have an electric car for sale as well.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

This was present in a similar form for traits, where you would have to buy and go out into the game world to unlock some traits for classes to be able to use them. The original trait revamp within the old trait system.

It was universally hated by everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You reminded me another MMO (that I won't name) where this was a feature for a couple of years. You gained a random new skill, and if you didn't like it (which happened 99% of the times) you had to pay to reset it and hope for a better one. A pure waste of time and gold. I don't know if it would work in GW2. Even if you remove the RNG part, this would limit the choices in the end, as the meta builds will include also a more specific gear.

• Like 1

I know many games with such feature, where it's not hated at all. Not giving names because ToS but there are many. I'd prefer working on something with a fair price improving gameplay rather than paying a fortune for bees, confettis or bubbles floating around me, or let's say have both in the game for the fluff fans.

That's the main reason i play this game much less than before : i could go away for a year and my toon would be in the same state as if i played all year.

I'll tell you that. Been there since 2012. I personally have nothing to spend resources on. I fish cause it's fun, but i don't even need the gold, cause i have nothing to buy. My stats are maxed, had some fun with food now i got a 2-3k hours food stock. I got like 3% of the skins in this game and i'm satisfied with it. I feel zero need getting more. I made my solo guild and i'm good with it. Got my masteries, the leggies i wanted. Played all game modes over 25k hours. What is left for me to farm ?

On the other hand getting some skills to play with would be something, and having to play to get them would be a reason to play. Playing hours long to get a confetti aura doesn't motivate me.

Having gear carry some skills would be a good reason to play for people who want gameplay and allow for a little more replayability.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I know many games with such feature, where it's not hated at all. Not giving names because ToS but there are many. I'd prefer working on something with a fair price improving gameplay rather than paying a fortune for bees, confettis or bubbles floating around me, or let's say have both in the game for the fluff fans.

That's the main reason i play this game much less than before : i could go away for a year and my toon would be in the same state as if i played all year.

I'll tell you that. Been there since 2012. I personally have nothing to spend resources on. I fish cause it's fun, but i don't even need the gold, cause i have nothing to buy. My stats are maxed, had some fun with food now i got a 2-3k hours food stock. I got like 3% of the skins in this game and i'm satisfied with it. I feel zero need getting more. I made my solo guild and i'm good with it. Got my masteries, the leggies i wanted. Played all game modes over 25k hours. What is left for me to farm ?

On the other hand getting some skills to play with would be something, and having to play to get them would be a reason to play. Playing hours long to get a confetti aura doesn't motivate me.

Having gear carry some skills would be a good reason to play for people who want gameplay and allow for a little more replayability.

I hear this new d and 4 game might be something you could look into..

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I tried it, but the game where you are exiled and you got to find a clear path has 20 times more content, so if i had to choose i'd go that path. These are not the same type of games though.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I disagree with that. You can't even say it "doesn't work" because noone ever tried here. Also no reason it wouldn't.

Well, if you looked at the forum, you'll see that the rune change is probably the most controversial change right. 

Currently we don't know anything about this system, but the idea of the possibility that this will add a new grind to get basically rune bonus do not seem to please anyone. 

Then you came and says "hey, what about a new gear grind for skill", so... Yeah, it probably won't work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What annoys people the most about relics is not the skills they grant. It's the other way around. What annoys them is losing these skills on their legendary runes. Many people actually farmed real hard to get legendary runes, for the very reason of acquiring these skills because they like them. What people fear is having done all this hard work for nothing with the upcoming change. But i don't remember anyone complaining about the runes themselves. You turned the problem 180 degrees here.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

What annoys people the most about relics is not the skills they grant. It's the other way around. What annoys them is losing these skills on their legendary runes. Many people actually farmed real hard to get legendary runes, for the very reason of acquiring these skills because they like them. What people fear is having done all this hard work for nothing with the upcoming change. But i don't remember anyone complaining about the runes themselves. You turned the problem 180 degrees here.

Well, I never says that what annoys people is relic bonus, what annoys that is the eventual bonus grind that will come with it. 

The same bonus grind you're suggesting there, I'm not turning the problem. 

• Like 1