Legendary Rune/Relic Anet Answer

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Apparently they haven't finished figuring out how this system is going to interact with Legendaries - whose existence has likely completely been forgotten.

Trying to approach this from a positive angle, I think maybe they didn't realize the value people put on that 6th special bonus compared to the raw stats of the other 5 tiers?

Like, if you view all 6 levels equally (I don't), then splitting off the 6th and replacing it with a generic stat could seem like an equal value equation. I don't know.

I like the idea behind the relic/rune system in concept. I look forward to seeing what they come up with for implementing it, hopefully without taking away from what players currently have.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, idpersona.3810 said:

Trying to approach this from a positive angle, I think maybe they didn't realize the value people put on that 6th special bonus compared to the raw stats of the other 5 tiers?

Like, if you view all 6 levels equally (I don't), then splitting off the 6th and replacing it with a generic stat could seem like an equal value equation. I don't know.

I like the idea behind the relic/rune system in concept. I look forward to seeing what they come up with for implementing it, hopefully without taking away from what players currently have.

Not sure why Anet doesn't just mail a legendary relic to any players that hit 6 total legendary runes. The concept of being able to choose that extra stat is great for customizing but not if people have to grind another thing. It sounds like the relic will have one slot in the equipment tab? Those who already have at least 6 legendary runes have kind of already earned it sort of. Anyone that wants a legendary relic in the future just grind out those 6 legendary runes? idk, I feel like the solution to this could be very simple and doesn't need to be complicated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Why not just make it so the relic is a drop down menu when you have all 6 runes equipped and it allows you to choose what effect you want for the set bonus? That way it won't invalidate legendary runes because it'll just be a menu option.

They could also make it so that if you want other set bonuses that you'll have to unlock it by collecting the runes, that way if you have legendary runes you'll have all the set bonuses unlocked and it gives people a reason to make legendary runes other than a quality of life thing. People who have played for a long time can just have those effects unlocked already for them and newer players will have something to grind for once they hit endgame. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

3 repair canisters then.
Repair canisters used to repair gear, gear has runes slotted into it.

Moreover, repair canisters had their old function (and the reason why they were even bought) removed. Which makes them even more relevant to the rune/relic situation and thus a perfect compensation.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Zero.1028 said:

Why not just make it so the relic is a drop down menu when you have all 6 runes equipped and it allows you to choose what effect you want for the set bonus? That way it won't invalidate legendary runes because it'll just be a menu option.

They could also make it so that if you want other set bonuses that you'll have to unlock it by collecting the runes, that way if you have legendary runes you'll have all the set bonuses unlocked and it gives people a reason to make legendary runes other than a quality of life thing. People who have played for a long time can just have those effects unlocked already for them and newer players will have something to grind for once they hit endgame. 

Anet, bring this person in as a consultant for the next 24 hours so you all will get this relic/rune situation right. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The translation is a good motive on why it's taking this long.

But maybe there's more to this changes than what we already know, maybe they will change a lot of things about Runes than just the effects, perhaps this will affect Sigils too, i could see some Sigils, Stacking Sigils for example (Bloodlust, Life, etc), becoming Relics, would solve a lot of the issues i have with them (camping a specific weapon until you get all stacks, losing everything the moment you enter underwater, unless you have a copy of the sigil equiped in your underwater weapons).

But oh well, it's tomorrow anyways, so we better wait.

Dear Anet,

Thank you for the blog post today on the Runes and Relics. It is good that you gave 2 examples of the new relics (subject to change, of course) and that you explained that owners of legendary runes will get some compensation. I am happy that you have chosen to communicate on the topic, especially given the poor reception of the legendary-rune-owning community, myself included, to the original announcement. And it feels like a good idea to have all runes and relics as craftable/sellable/tradeable and not account bound (although, "craftable only" often raises issues, and so I approach this with concern -- see the community reaction to Research Notes if you want to understand my concerns further). Additionally, I feel like you missed an opportunity or 3 ...

1. "Let the theorycrafting begin" ... well, no, actually. It feels a bit irresponsible on your part to suggest we start theorycrafting with only half of the data. Who draws conclusions on anything with so little information? Actually, far too many people in the world ("zoomers"?), but that is not the point. All silly jokes aside, please consider an update to the blog post to show examples of the new runes, even if they are subject to change. Maybe a livestream? We have not had one in a long time, I feel.
  2. I am afraid that "significant progress" towards legendary rune completion is far too vague for this blog post, considering the poor reception to the previous announcement from the legendary-rune-owning community. Surely this post deserved a bit more meat on this particular bone.
  3. "2024" is five to seventeen months after the launch of SotO. I am no coder, but I am a product developer in my career (a very different field, to be fair). Surely a legendary rune could be scoped, planned, coded, tested, bug-fixed several times over and then available and ready for the live game within 3 months of SotO go-live. Unless you have a severe resource shortage ... which is perhaps a bigger problem, and not a conclusion you want the community jumping to.

All in all, I feel a bit underwhelmed with the follow-up blog post. It could have been worse, but I feel it probably should have been better.

Respectfully submitted,

Adzekul

Edited by Adzekul.3104
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Adzekul.3104 said:

Dear Anet,

Thank you for the blog post today on the Runes and Relics. It is good that you gave 2 examples of the new relics (subject to change, of course) and that you explained that owners of legendary runes will get some compensation. I am happy that you have chosen to communicate on the topic, especially given the poor reception of the legendary-rune-owning community, myself included, to the original announcement. And it feels like a good idea to have all runes and relics as craftable/sellable/tradeable and not account bound (although, "craftable only" often raises issues, and so I approach this with concern -- see the community reaction to Research Notes if you want to understand my concerns further). Additionally, I feel like you missed an opportunity or 3 ...

1. "Let the theorycrafting begin" ... well, no, actually. It feels a bit irresponsible on your part to suggest we start theorycrafting with only half of the data. Who draws conclusions on anything with so little information? Actually, far too many people in the world ("zoomers"?), but that is not the point. All silly jokes aside, please consider an update to the blog post to show examples of the new runes, even if they are subject to change.
  2. I am afraid that "significant progress" towards legendary rune completion is far too vague for this blog post, considering the poor reception to the previous announcement from the legendary-rune-owning community. Surely this post deserved a bit more meat on this particular bone.
  3. "2024" is five to seventeen months after the launch of SotO. I am no coder, but I am a product developer in my career (a very different field, to be fair). Surely a legendary rune could be scoped, planned, coded, tested, bug-fixed several times over and then available and ready for the live game within 3 months of SotO go-live. Unless you have a severe resource shortage ... which is perhaps a bigger problem, and not a conclusion you want the community jumping to.

All in all, I feel a bit underwhelmed with the follow-up blog post. It could have been worse, but I feel it probably should have been better.

Respectfully submitted,

Adzekul

I was hoping this blog post they released today would provide details on number 2 of your list. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I very much hope that "choice of three core relics" means each character's relic chest will provide three relics chosen among the 40 core relics, and not one relic chosen from among three core options.

My characters currently have a dozen different 6th tier bonuses across them. A choice among three is not going to make their builds continue to function they way they did.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What worries me the most is the statement "Core relics, which have effects inspired by many of the current rune sets"... this seems to mean that the effect will probably be different from the current one and the example is quite explicit.

I will have to say goodbye to my dear Fireworks runes? 😭

• Like 2

I am curious what their coding looks like for the Legendary Runes and why the last bonus would be blank versus the coding on the exotic. I thought the Legendary just includes the template data of the other runes and the exotic functionality remains the same.

Edited by Zeivu.3615
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hash.8462 said:

What worries me the most is the statement "Core relics, which have effects inspired by many of the current rune sets"... this seems to mean that the effect will probably be different from the current one and the example is quite explicit.

I will have to say goodbye to my dear Fireworks runes? 😭

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune

this is the page for all the unique rune effects, and yep there are more than 40. so yeah a lot are going

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:50 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Moreover, repair canisters had their old function (and the reason why they were even bought) removed. Which makes them even more relevant to the rune/relic situation and thus a perfect compensation.

ROFL

"Moreover, repair canisters had their old function (and the reason why they were even bought) removed. Which makes them even more relevant to the rune/relic situation and thus a perfect compensation."

They currently have ALL dev teams working on bringing those back in ASAP  🤣😂

Edited by AreohCobing.5092
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1