SOTO skyscale – new fireball skill and being targeted while flying

From "Soaring with the Skyscale"

We’re excited for you to get your hands on the skyscale’s new Fireball skill. It flows well with their other tricks, and it opens up some neat combat options. Similar to the siege turtle passenger’s ability to fire projectiles at enemies, this new Fireball skill will not cause a dismount, so you can soar through the skies and take down threats from above—whether they’re on the ground or in the air.

Did you not learn from trutle mount? Noone is using useless turtle mount and their useless skills if not forced by bad game design. Please admit that turtle mount was mistake and do not try to reinvent it. You could spend resources and time on something better.

The Kryptis have aerial threats of their own that require your skyscale skills to take care of

If I get dismounted in air and get "stunned" due to dismount so I can not glide and that would mean that I fall down and die due fall dmg, then please stop just stop. It was really annoying in Bloodstone fen when you gilde and enemy target you and with one of their skill "stunned" which result in falling down and in some cases dead due to fall dmg. It was annyoing and when I was done with map I never went there.

This is rant, but I always see great ideas and terrible implementation to the game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

People use the turtle in the Drizzlewood, Seitung, Dragon Stand, Dragon’s End, Echovald and Gyala metas.

Probably others, but those are ones I’ve experienced recently.

Dragonstorm as well. And Claw of Jormag sometimes. Basically anywhere where you can mount and there are break bars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

If I get dismounted in air and get "stunned" due to dismount so I can not glide and that would mean that I fall down and die due fall dmg, then please stop just stop. It was really annoying in Bloodstone fen when you gilde and enemy target you and with one of their skill "stunned" which result in falling down and in some cases dead due to fall dmg. It was annyoing and when I was done with map I never went there.

hrmm... i wonder if this is the reason  why you'll be able to mount in combat

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

I feel like you might need to calm down and re-read some of those points.

It states that the fire ball does not cause a dismount, like turtle skills.

I do not need to re-read it. You will fight with your skyscale and that mean that enemies will fight back and you will have HP on skyscale. So what will happen when your skyscale's HP reach 0 or will skyscale be invincible? Take example of turtle since getting "killed" on turtle put cd on mounting skill.

Btw I think that other movement skills for skyscale are great. I believe that going with movement path for mounts is great idea like give my skyscale more speed or give my griffon vertical movement same as skyscale and I will enjoy game a lot more. Adding mount combat is gimmick and I am doing Gyala Delve meta for several weeks now and suprise suprise almost noone like "forced" turtle parts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

hrmm... i wonder if this is the reason  why you'll be able to mount in combat

I'm pretty sure that the ability to mount in combat is only if you do both the new and old acquisition for skyscale, so everyone who wanted an easier time getting the skyscale would still have to do the old way of getting it just to be able to do that, and people who only bought SotO wouldn't even have access to it. If they balance / build their sky combat around the ability to re-mount when your skyscale gets dismissed from damage, then it's going to feel really bad for those who don't have it. Which I feel also defeats the purpose of making it easier to acquire. I'm biased and really hate vehicle combat (and I find people using their turtle mounts in open world fights to be irritating), so this honestly doesn't sound fun to me anyways, but there are pitfalls to it that I worry Anet didn't even consider, which is sadly a continuing trend this year.

• Confused 1

Ah yea looks like it. Not to be "that person" because I actually think there's nothing wrong with making tedious things easier for everyone but doesn't look like there's any real reason to do the old skyscale stuff. It's good that nothing important is locked behind that but I can understand people who had already unlocked it being a little bitter about how little you get from doing it (at least for people who recently got it, anyone who's been cruising Tyria for years got plenty of value out of it).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Acheron.1580 said:

Ah yea looks like it. Not to be "that person" because I actually think there's nothing wrong with making tedious things easier for everyone but doesn't look like there's any real reason to do the old skyscale stuff. It's good that nothing important is locked behind that but I can understand people who had already unlocked it being a little bitter about how little you get from doing it (at least for people who recently got it, anyone who's been cruising Tyria for years got plenty of value out of it).

No one will have to complete the collections/achievements for the old Skyscale acquisition if one completes the new Skyscale acquisition requirements.  It's the Mastery tracks that must be completed if one wants both.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Wait, does that mean there will be two mastery tracks for a single mount? That seems a bit much.

Yes, and two skills get an improvement if you own both. However... you're UNDERstating the issue.

IF we're going to be using the skyscale for aerial combat, most of the mount lines contain something that boosts all mounts once you earn it. And while some may not matter (fall distance survival for Springer, for example), to do the best at this new form of combat you're going to want all the masteries that DO boost your skyscale, as well as the additional mastery line that gives added mount abilities like the flying dismount.

I'm rather skeptical how useful the combat features of it will actually be end up being. If it's too clunky / weak then no one is going to use it for actual combat (just like no one uses really uses the turtles unless it's for CC) and events that require the player to use it will mostly be avoided.

14 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I wonder how the fireball will work with ground mobs resetting and exiting combat because they can't reach you?

Most likely the same as if you would stand on pillar and attack them with ranged weapons: they'll instantly start regenerating their HP.

• 2 weeks later...

So after using fireball skill for some time it is not that bad. Compared to turtle skills fireball on skyscale works there are some issues, but should be easy to fix. I would also say that changing turtle skills based on fireball implementation would be great. Like give Turtle Siege skill just noirmal CD as fireball on turtle and being gunner on trutle would be actually fun.

2 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

So after using fireball skill for some time it is not that bad.

Depends on how you look at it. It doesn't nearly feel as clunky to use as the turtle but the damage is still on "average OW player spamming their AA" level and the charges /  cooldown on it should be removed. Having to stare at the cooldown for an extended period of time because I'm out of charges while the tentacle thing is still at around 50% HP is an experiance I could do without.

It doesn't really do enough damage to be worth using except in the metas it's meant to be used in for sky trash.   It would help if you could just tab target with it, it's kinda janky to aim and fire while other kitten is happening.  The CD doesn't help either.  The turtle is good for breakbars but the long pause and damage nerf ruined it for anything other than that.  This feels like the same thing but worse.