What am i gonna do day 3?

Dont get me wrong, im excited about the new expansion, but the question is valid.
Story ~4-6h
Fully explore the new 2 maps, and get all the mastery points ~3h
Do the two meta events, another ~2h, probably less, but lets say 2h for now
Do the two strike missions, and the fractal ~2h
Thats about 12h, so lets say its one day.
Get all the missing masteries maxed ~4-6h
Get all the achievements for the strikes, and fractal ~4h
Trying out the new weapon combos in rifts, and... here we go... in old content ~4h
Why later? Its barely 30h content what i just listed. For an expansion? Really? And im not rushing, i do everything at my speed, so i know what it takes me to get stuff done.
Ofc, we dont know how big the maps gonna be, or how long the story, how long the metas, but id say, my estimations are probably gonna be correct.

No challenging content at release, nor long term reach.
Both strike CMs, and the fractal CM comes later. The hardest rifts also comes later, and those i expect to be easy, since its open world.
No legendary relic at release, nor open world legendary armor to go for.
1 map comes later, with probably 1/3 of the story, one meta event.
The new weapons, which would be the main content for every endgame player, also comes later.
Why later? why cant we get a huge amount of content with the release?

Despite all this, im still pretty much lookong forward the expac. I loved the maps in every previous expacs, so i expect them to be gorgeous. However, there only gonna be 3 of them. If i compared it to HoT/PoF maps, its 10+ comparing to 3...

PS.: Make LI worth something, and let us have more equipment/build template slots.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 2

@Expertus.5746 nah HoT and PoF where both 4 maps and not 10+ cause the Rest of maps where living world stuff and not expansion. That been said your right on the the other stuff ..... however I prefer them to take their time to release stuff instead of just rush them (as to me IBS and EoD feel)

Edited by Myror.7521
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

First of all, HoT and PoF had only 4 maps.
Secondly, It is wrong to expect the same amount of content from mini-Expansion.

25$ for 30h of content sounds about right.

Haven't they also said it comes with 3 maps on release and a 4th to be released later?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Haven't they also said it comes with 3 maps on release and a 4th to be released later?

More like 1 hub and 2 maps on relase, then 1 map released in two parts (like they did with Bjora, Drizzlewood and Gyala).

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Maybe don't play 12 hours a day?

That's not wrong either.

However, it is not to the advantage of the studio if a lot of players players only come back a few hours every 3 months for the quaterly updates or never come back at all.

The answer will be in the replayability.

33 minutes ago, Expertus.5746 said:

Both strike CMs, and the fractal CM comes later. The hardest rifts also comes later, and those i expect to be easy, since its open world.

There are legitimate concerns here and we don't know if 2 strikes (+CM) and 1 fractal (+CM) per year will be enough for the end-game community to stay around.

Aside that, we will see in two weeks to look at the real replayability of those contents (that's how MMOs' retention works).

The rifts and strikes will be done multiple times by some people for example.

Edited by Anvar.5673
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

As much as this is prob bait, Maybe just enjoy the game and don’t run it on a timer? If you are going to fully explore all maps in 3hrs, you are going to miss most of the game and it seems rather pointless even buying it putting a very silly schedule on it like this.

In 12 hours I’ll prob have explored a tiny corner 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

It is basically Path of Exile and that game seems fine with that.

That's right and when we are thinking about it, getting this amount of content every year (3 maps, 2 strikes, 1 fractal, masteries, etc.) is not that bad compared to some content droughts we had before, and pay for it seems normal.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@Expertus.5746 nah HoT and PoF where both 4 maps and not 10+ cause the Rest of maps where living world stuff and not expansion. That been said your right on the the other stuff ..... however I prefer them to take their time to release stuff instead of just rush them (as to me IBS and EoD feel)

Fair. Between hot, and pof there was a 2 years gap, and in this 2 years 10 map released. The new style of expacs will be 3 map/year or /1,5 year. So its still 3 comparing to 5. The maps in soto gonna be bigger than the ones in lw3, but i sincerely doubt that their quality will be anywhere near the og 4 hot maps.

43 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Maybe don't play 12 hours a day?

Thats not the answer. An expansion releasing in an mmo, i a huge event. Ppl taking their break off work, using all the sickdays in school, and they are planning to blast the game for a week. You cant do that in soto.

30 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

There are legitimate concerns here and we don't know if 2 strikes (+CM) and 1 fractal (+CM) per year will be enough for the end-game community to stay around.

We already know what happens then. Exacly whats happening right now. Ppl who like endgame content, challenge, leave the game for another mmo. Lack of content leads to dead content.

31 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Ill certainly do them weekly, just like the other strike cms. But its not repeatable, once its done, you have to wait a week.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Expertus.5746 said:

Dont get me wrong, im excited about the new expansion, but the question is valid.
Story ~4-6h
Fully explore the new 2 maps, and get all the mastery points ~3h
Do the two meta events, another ~2h, probably less, but lets say 2h for now
Do the two strike missions, and the fractal ~2h
Thats about 12h, so lets say its one day.
Get all the missing masteries maxed ~4-6h
Get all the achievements for the strikes, and fractal ~4h
Trying out the new weapon combos in rifts, and... here we go... in old content ~4h
Why later? Its barely 30h content what i just listed. For an expansion? Really? And im not rushing, i do everything at my speed, so i know what it takes me to get stuff done.
Ofc, we dont know how big the maps gonna be, or how long the story, how long the metas, but id say, my estimations are probably gonna be correct.

No challenging content at release, nor long term reach.
No legendary relic at release, nor open world legendary armor to go for.
1 map comes later, with probably 1/3 of the story, one meta event.
The new weapons, which would be the main content for every endgame player, also comes later.
Why later? why cant we get a huge amount of content with the release?

Despite all this, im still pretty much lookong forward the expac. I loved the maps in every previous expacs, so i expect them to be gorgeous. However, there only gonna be 3 of them. If i compared it to HoT/PoF maps, its 10+ comparing to 3...

PS.: Make LI worth something, and let us have more equipment/build template slots.

If your math is right, you're getting about 30 hours of content for $25.

People regularly pay $60 for single player games that run around 40 to 60 hours of playtime.

Maybe our expectations of MMOs are kinda ridiculous?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Gibson.4036 said:

People regularly pay $60 for single player games that run around 40 to 60 hours of playtime.

Idk about that. In other mmos, i can blast the content for a week, 12h/day, and still not reach a point where i wouldnt have anything to do. And those expacs are also 25-30$.
The answer we need for that is repeatebility. 

In my experience, in AAA games the story takes about 25-30h, and then to finish the game, its another 70-80h.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Doomcryer.3650 said:

Anet can add "Find 69 fidgets" achievement on every map, that you would spend a week to find without a guide. Will you count it as a quality content?

Is that what you want?

About that, the only thing I surely don't want is new audio logs between the releases of both half of the third map.

And eventualy if they could do a good transition between the two parts (more like the Drizzlewood bridge but not like the mountains of Bjora or the Gyala's tunnel), it would be great.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well there's a big difference between single player AAA games and MMO's.

I don't think it's a good comparison

But it's not rly about the ammount of content as much as how well they've designed it to be repeatable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

I don't know, what did you did at HoT day 5, Pof day 4 and EoD day 4? 

I mean, if we were to use the same calculation as you, it'll kinda end up like this. 

I started a few months before hot released, so i pretty much had vertical progression, since i was gearing all my characters. Thats over by now.
When pof released i was playing wow, and when came back, there was w5-6-7, and a bunch of new fractals, so i did them, progressed through the wings, catched up on lws, started doing vision, coalescence, did my skyscale, beetle, and started working on my journey to have all legendaries.
In IBS, there was some strikes, i did them daily, but near the end, when they started developing eod, and they did drms... oh god... i quit to play wow again.
In EoD i did the 4 strikes, and pretty much continnued my journey to full lege, started working on aurene leges aswell. There was progression on the strike cms, mai-trin, ankka was fun, ankka cm cm was great content, still my best memory of eod. KO fine, and HT too. Also there were elite specs, which made old content interesting again. I finished my lege journey here.
Then they started doing lws1, which is no content for me, i dont really care about the story in an mmo, and that was purely story. I went back to play wow. Came back for olc, and for the cm, but i pretty much just did weekly raid fc with the cms, 4 eod cms, then log off.
About 3-4 months ago i started playing wow, and bdo, and only came back when they announced the new expac. I also liked the new fractal, the cm too.
But in soto we ll get 3 boss in a room, elit spec weapons freely, some rifts which i expect to be super easy, and thats pretty much it, as for endgame content.
The game has a bunch of content, but we are doing them for years, and the only time it "changes" when we got elite specs. But its over. New content is like white crow, and we are not gonna get elite specs ever again. And this time, i cant even do the old content with new stuff, since the weapons are not coming with release.
I can imagine how awful this is for all pvp/wvw players. They literally dont get anything, not even the 3 bosses pve players get.
But tbh, "my kind" long ago quit gw2 completly. I just like the combat system a lot, and that pulls me back every time.
The answer to these promblems are easy, repeatebility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Aside that, we will see in two weeks to look at the real replayability of those contents (that's how MMOs' retention works).

Yes! Especially if the rewards are cool

For example I'm grinding 100cm for that (semi)ugly Kanaxai axe. Give me anything with a little bit of prestige that looks cool and I'll play your game. I'm not asking much... Right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No.

Two explorable zones and the Wizard’s Tower outpost, floating high above the Tyrian coast, will be available at launch. In the releases that will follow every few months, a third explorable zone will open in conjunction with the ongoing story that plays out.

It was this part I read, so it made me sum it up as 4, but as someone else pointed out earlier one is an outpost/hub.

• Like 2