New Gw2 Merch shop but what about EU?

Hopefully they'll get more stuff back on EMP. They used to have a lot on there (including that Aurene statue they did for EoD) but it's gone down to just a few t-shirts. I think they're based in Germany, but they deliver all over Europe and I didn't think the postage costs to the UK were too bad.

This was the first I'd heard of the new merch, thanks OP, and I luckily (for this purpose) am in the US.  But gaming merch isn't always awesome stuff.  I googled up reviews, couldn't find anything bashing DPI, so probably their stuff is competently made.  Looked at the offerings.  I have been wanting a new GW2 shirt, never saw an EoD one (at least not one in black).  However, they don't seem to have a sizing chart or dimensions, and the photo of the shirt suggests it's a bit small necked proportionate to its width, ie the "tight neck" style rather than "relaxed fit."  I've wasted money on too many tees that turned out to choke me and thus prove unwearable.  ANet, you may want to ask DPI to add information on measurements and fit style (this seems to be the only item of apparel on their entire site, at least when clicking their on-site filters, so they may not have a lot of experience in marketing clothing).

Doesn't matter where in the world you are, clothes that don't fit aren't worth it even if shipping were free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree that would be useful. That's one reason I ended up getting a lot of stuff from EMP (not just GW2 merch), normally I'm wary of ordering clothes online but they have fairly precise measurements for a lot of stuff and I've generally found it to be accurate. There was one annoying time when I ordered 2 pairs of trousers, same brand, same size, same material but different styles and one was a bit too loose and the other a bit too tight. But I was able to get the too small ones refunded and replaced with the next size up...and I just wear a belt with the bigger ones.

I've had mixed experiences with GW2 stuff. The t-shirts I got from EMP are good (and lasting well, I got both in 2019). But before that I got 2 from Amazon and one was ok but pretty faintly printed and the other....I'm not sure what happened. It was a different brand of t-shirt with much thinner fabric and badly sewn, and the picture was a very small iron-on transfer. I got a women's medium so not the biggest t-shirt, but the picture was about the size of my palm and had white markings round the edge where the transfer hadn't attached properly. Luckily I was able to get it refunded but that was the end of me buying clothes from Amazon.

I too wish the (not only) new merch was available here in EU. Not only because of shipping but also customs and taxes are making the price too high for me (plus the hassle of having to deal with customs and risk of someone stealing from my package in the process, which can sadly be the case).

• Confused 1

• 5 months later...

Isnt NA is way smaller in userbase? Wvw there dead, pvp dead, raids dead and open world not oke according to player banter thats ongoing for years.

Yet anet focus is na players, how so? I cant even order merc it simply does not ship to my location..

Wanted to get keycaps as gifts and overall their launcher advertised stuff, couldnt order a single thing, most of stuff doesnt even return pages for eu ips 

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

Isnt NA is way smaller in userbase? Wvw there dead, pvp dead, raids dead and open world not oke according to player banter thats ongoing for years.

Yet anet focus is na players, how so? I cant even order merc it simply does not ship to my location..

Wanted to get keycaps as gifts and overall their launcher advertised stuff, couldnt order a single thing, most of stuff doesnt even return pages for eu ips 

There may be other financial issues here with VAT taxes and regulations that Anet simply doesn't want to have to manage.

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There may be other financial issues here with VAT taxes and regulations that Anet simply doesn't want to have to manage.

Yeah it's not as easy to set up shop for a US company in the EU. It would be easier to give a shop that operates int he EU already the license to make merch for GW2. However, I'm not convinced that their merch sales would be big enough to warrant that.

Now, I do understand the issue though because whenever I order something from the US the customs charges consists mostly of 21% VAT over the cost price + shipping. And that adds up. So because of the VAT we have to pay over the shipping it's best to save up and buy a lot of stuff at once so at least there will only be shipping once.

23 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah it's not as easy to set up shop for a US company in the EU. It would be easier to give a shop that operates int he EU already the license to make merch for GW2. However, I'm not convinced that their merch sales would be big enough to warrant that.

Now, I do understand the issue though because whenever I order something from the US the customs charges consists mostly of 21% VAT over the cost price + shipping. And that adds up. So because of the VAT we have to pay over the shipping it's best to save up and buy a lot of stuff at once so at least there will only be shipping once.

The old merchandise store also had the problem that shipping to Europe was charged per item, even if you ordered multiple things together you were still charged a seperate shipping fee for each one, so there wasn't even the option to wait until you wanted several things and get them together to make the shipping cost more reasonable.

I think they tried doing what you suggested with EMP, in fact I think that's part of the reason EMP exists, they have some of their own brands but a lot of stuff they sell is American, especially the licenced merchandise. I suspect it's as you said, it wasn't making enough money to be worth doing because the selection has gone down a lot compared to what it used to be.