Pre-ordering is a silly idea. Seriously

Not trying to be provocative, but it's pretty obvious that this "Secrets of the Obscure" is vastly different from the first two expansions we got, and even more limited than the End of Dragons. A lot of the content that people are looking forward too, such as new weapons and legendary relics, will not available during release, but rather drip fed over the next (couple?) months. What you are essentially buying is a "hope" that the content they promoted will be ready in the next couple of months/quarters. This is not a type of product that I would expect from a reputable gaming studio. This brings me to the next issue.

For those that actually bought the expansion with the expectation, how can they be sure that the content Anet has promised in the future is actually released on time? Anet delays their scheduled releases all the time, so there is no guarantee that this time will be any different, or the possibility that they just 'release' some broken feature just to say they met their own deadline.

Anyway, preordering an expansion just incentivizes companies to give you lower quality/unfinished products. However, this is truly unprecedented. I don't think I've ever come across an expansion where critically and highly promoted features aren't even available at release, and may or may not even be available in the next 6 months.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

They mentionned quarterly releases specifically. Meaning by definition that most of the content is due for release in 2024.

I'm quite on the backfoot there as I didn't foresee content being cast that far away from "release". In fact, it feels like people who Bought the expansion have essentially Crowd Funded 3/4 of the expansion, as it seems a fair amount of content mentionned has not been developped yet. And I perfectly understand if people are particularly annoyed at that sentiment, since that's not what buying an expansion is supposed to be like. 

This essentially confirms my current hiatus. I dont feel like the price tag reflect the content we're getting at release. It'll be worth the price when the content is fully released and not before, that's my take on it, everyone is free to have theirs.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

Well, personally pre-ordering depends on incentive, like discounts or bonus items. People may have decided that since they're going to buy the expansion anyways, they may pick up some extras. With that reasoning, it shouldn't matter if the other features come on time.

But everyone views it differently . I don't have a personal connection to them, and they are not a charity, so any transaction will be a matter of business and what we have to gain from each other. Sometimes it's worth supporting a brand one trusts, since there are too many companies that do not really treat their customers well.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

Not trying to be provocative, but it's pretty obvious that this "Secrets of the Obscure" is vastly different from the first two expansions we got, and even more limited than the End of Dragons. A lot of the content that people are looking forward too, such as new weapons and legendary relics, will not available during release, but rather drip fed over the next (couple?) months. What you are essentially buying is a "hope" that the content they promoted will be ready in the next couple of months/quarters. This is not a type of product that I would expect from a reputable gaming studio. This brings me to the next issue.

For those that actually bought the expansion with the expectation, how can they be sure that the content Anet has promised in the future is actually released on time? Anet delays their scheduled releases all the time, so there is no guarantee that this time will be any different, or the possibility that they just 'release' some broken feature just to say they met their own deadline.

Anyway, preordering an expansion just incentivizes companies to give you lower quality/unfinished products. However, this is truly unprecedented. I don't think I've ever come across an expansion where critically and highly promoted features aren't even available at release, and may or may not even be available in the next 6 months.

Every time they release these poor quality content, updates, balance patches etc., they lose goodwill.  I felt that way with EOD and beyond.  So I didn't preorder SOTO either due to the past as well.  It is a company that is riding off the success of HOT and POF, but I can tell you right now more and more people through word of mouth and bad experiences are going to stop giving this company any more goodwill or benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Vulture.9351 said:

I regret pre-ordering soto, can't even get a refund because I used the stupid boost that came with it.

Idk, I'm not familiar with your country/state consumer laws, but you probably could get a refund if you really tried.

• Like 2

You are right. I'm gonna be sick. Wish I could get my money back. Was optimistic enough to try it, but....I could see that WoW was coming here....

I should have known...live and learn....if they fix this disaster, I'll be back. If not, I think Obscure will do the same thing to GW2 that Shadowlands did to WoW, and the great EYE of N'zoth will watch it happen!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

For me it's simple: I did not factor any of the future releases into my decision, just what was due to be released today (and as far as I know we got all that). As far as I'm concerned I paid for that initial release, anything else which comes later will be a bonus.

A perfectly reasonable approach.

I think of pre-order as funding the development of the game, so I'm happy to pre-order if I have the cash.

But I also expected it to be better thought out. Why I expected that is questionable; I'm just optimistic sometimes I guess.

I really hope some of the gamewide changes get a prompt revamp so that it's not so disappointing. I still expect the new maps and story themselves to be great (and that's what I'm hearing by report, except one person who was unhappy with a story feature).

I do however feel like I have paid for daily login rewards with actual legal money, and probably not getting the equivalent to that.

Edited by willow.8209

I personally was& am happy to support this new direction (at least this first time) to give them a chance to deliver on this new proposed cadence. Optimistically, it will be great and the game will be getting more frequent content than ever.

In the pessimistic eventuality of delays/lower quality I don't see the price point as being completely unreasonable for the content we were offered at today's launch. Even if one ignores the lower cost compared to other games prices; in comparison to other games, at least for me, this represents more replayability and enjoyment for the investment.

• Like 1

Well can you really blame them? They didn't do a subscription model and already sold many contents for cheap prize, and many others for free (lws4).

It was about time that they either go for subscription model or some other, plus the new contents won't be easy to match with old expans.

Its understandable that they made it mini expansions, and releasing it parts, especially when (as I heard) the og developers aren't the ones behind these new expansions.

So you either get this or be a subscription model. Thank goodness it's this.