Legendary Starter Kit feedback

While of course I am certainly not even close to having the 1000 Astral Acclaim for one of these, I'm wondering how often they'll be rotated.  The blog post only said "in the future" and that ANet will watch feedback and usage.  Well, of the four currently available, I already have three of them, and the fourth (the toy popgun Quip) does not interest me in the least.  Plus, they're all Gen 1 Legendaries; will you also have Gen 2s soon?  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've given up on Nevermore at basically the Ravenswood Branch crafting and already am almost done with Save the Queen on the next gen, but really want Nevermore, despite having no class that I run staff with. So I'm looking forward to this as well. Gen 1/2 legendary grind is so real it's completely demoralizing for new players. At least making a bunch of crowns and such you can really measure your progress. Doing a series of achievements that aren't particularly easy, followed by heavy crafting mats 5 times over is really a killer on my desire to progress. I'd prefer the grind of something like Save the Queen, but without the dumb hammer of making the same stuff just with more mats and some achievements sprinkled in to progress. The pacing seems right at that point. The amount of work for something like Nevermore feels like the work of 2-3 legendaries. Like 200 memories of battle and shards of glory for tier 1 of crafting is just insane to me.

In short, yes, please, gen 2.

Edited by Lostcauz.9620

5 minutes ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I want to know what's actually in one. 

The wiki's been updated with info on it. So, you get one precursor weapon (pistol, sword, sceptre or staff), a gift to go with it, and either a Gift of Magic or a Gift of Might. You still need to make the Gift of Mastery (so, still forced to pvp/wvw to get the Gift of Battle, which is why I'm not going to bother with it), Gift of Magic/Might (depending on what you didn't get in the kit), 77 Mystic Clovers and 250 Globs of Ectoplasm.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I want to know what's actually in one. 

You can look and see.

Each Starter kit contains appropriate precursor weapon, appropriate gift and either a Gift of Magic or Gift of Might. This effectively means that a player can craft a legendary without having to level or even owning any crafting professions.

The player will still have to make:
       Gift of Mastery (Gift of Exploration, Gift of Battle, Bloodstone Shard, 250 Obsidian Shards)
       Gift of Magic or Gift of Might (depending on which one wasn't received)
        77 Mystic Clovers
        250 Glob of Ectoplasm

While the precusor weapon and materials are account bound, the final legendary weapon will not be.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Confused 1

I think the vault refreshes every quarter, so that's likely when the current legendary starter boxes will swap out (maybe go into legacy, but they're technically not things you can only get through astral acclaim, so they might not) and be replaced with new ones.

50 minutes ago, Lostcauz.9620 said:

I've given up on Nevermore at basically the Ravenswood Branch crafting and already am almost done with Save the Queen on the next gen, but really want Nevermore, despite having no class that I run staff with. So I'm looking forward to this as well. Gen 1/2 legendary grind is so real it's completely demoralizing for new players. At least making a bunch of crowns and such you can really measure your progress. Doing a series of achievements that aren't particularly easy, followed by heavy crafting mats 5 times over is really a killer on my desire to progress. I'd prefer the grind of something like Save the Queen, but without the dumb hammer of making the same stuff just with more mats and some achievements sprinkled in to progress. The pacing seems right at that point. The amount of work for something like Nevermore feels like the work of 2-3 legendaries. Like 200 memories of battle and shards of glory for tier 1 of crafting is just insane to me.

A large part of the problem with precursor crafting is that it was balanced at a time when precursors were more expensive to buy and the materials used in phase 2 of crafting were cheaper. Nowadays, for the gen 1s, it's cheaper for most weapons to just buy the precursor off the trading post - except that you just don't have that option with the early gen 2s, which makes them quite expensive to make.

Mind you, it'd be a shame to miss out on the more story-oriented phases of those legendaries. Maybe starter boxes for those legendaries could contain the items you'd otherwise need to get through phase 2?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think the vault refreshes every quarter, so that's likely when the current legendary starter boxes will swap out (maybe go into legacy, but they're technically not things you can only get through astral acclaim, so they might not) and be replaced with new ones.

A large part of the problem with precursor crafting is that it was balanced at a time when precursors were more expensive to buy and the materials used in phase 2 of crafting were cheaper. Nowadays, for the gen 1s, it's cheaper for most weapons to just buy the precursor off the trading post - except that you just don't have that option with the early gen 2s, which makes them quite expensive to make.

Mind you, it'd be a shame to miss out on the more story-oriented phases of those legendaries. Maybe starter boxes for those legendaries could contain the items you'd otherwise need to get through phase 2?

Could just have boxes for the later gen 2s that don't have any story collection aspect. 

1 minute ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Could just have boxes for the later gen 2s that don't have any story collection aspect. 

Sure, I was referring specifically to the early ones.

You can already use astral acclaim to shortcut the route to the later gen 2s by quite a bit, though. Buy laurels, use the laurels to buy legendary shard boxes. It's not quite as efficient as getting the light, medium, or heavy crafting bags, but if you already have sufficient trophies of those tiers, it might be more efficient than buying more of those bags, selling the contents, and using the money to buy materials for crafting shards.

I love the idea of the starter kits in general.  Great way to focus my crafting for the current 'season' (yeah, their content update schedule is starting to remind me of this).  

I'm sure they'll rotate the Gen1s over the next year, but I seriously doubt we'll see Gen2 (and definitely not Gen3).  

• Confused 1

I think it will rotate every 77 days, maybe. I hope it includes Gen 2 as I gave up on the Ravenwood staff after finding I needed to get 250 Crystalline Ore. The scavenger hunt was fine, just too much grinding for a single item.

Important question regarding the limit though, if we buy one now, will we be allowed to buy from the new rotation, or only once per account?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Black.9412 said:

I think it will rotate every 77 days, maybe. I hope it includes Gen 2 as I gave up on the Ravenwood staff after finding I needed to get 250 Crystalline Ore. The scavenger hunt was fine, just too much grinding for a single item.

This box won't let you skip it if they offer gen2 in it. You still need to craft the gift of mastery which in case of gen 2 requires 250 ore 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, artcreator.4859 said:

Is precursor crafting dead? You’ll be able to grab these from the legacy shop forever. 

I dont think so, the precursor crafting still gives a lot of AP.

I have unlocked all the collections, since im not working on any precursor right now. But I automaticly progress through regular gameplay. 

14 hours ago, Jeir.4862 said:

The wiki's been updated with info on it. So, you get one precursor weapon (pistol, sword, sceptre or staff), a gift to go with it, and either a Gift of Magic or a Gift of Might. You still need to make the Gift of Mastery (so, still forced to pvp/wvw to get the Gift of Battle, which is why I'm not going to bother with it), Gift of Magic/Might (depending on what you didn't get in the kit), 77 Mystic Clovers and 250 Globs of Ectoplasm.

Oh wow this makes the legendary crafting a lott easier. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lostcauz.9620 said:

As a new(er) player the whole legendary system demoralizes me to the point that I am forced to either ignore it altogether or thinking about it makes me want to leave the game.  😞
I quit WoW many, many years ago because the pile of "Stuff I will never be able to earn" got overwhelming. I am starting to feel that way in GW2 as I look around at the "nice things" that are so far out of reach.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Actually it would make sense to have the later generations included. Not the latest (3rd gen) mabybe. But 2nd gen at least for the ones where you only craft the precursor (no collection). First gen giving the precursor sounds interesting at first. But when you want to go for full completion you might want to do the achievements related to crafting that precursor as well though.

I'd rather have another component instead included instead of the precursor. Gift is nice though. (Also lets you avoid to get the dungeon gift used to craft the weapon gift.)

6 hours ago, artcreator.4859 said:

Is precursor crafting dead? You’ll be able to grab these from the legacy shop forever. 

They said that mostly skins will be in legacy section, not all items. So I highly doubt this one will be in legacy tab.

As for gen 2 lege, again, chances that they will be there is very low cause they are part of the collections, even story parts. Honestly I think they will just add gen1 precursors, maybe gen3.

IIRC (was away from the game for a long time), the original precursors were obtained by random drop only, or from buying someone else's random drop that they posted on the BLT. The ability to craft precursors is pretty huge compared to that. Seeing someone carrying Eternity used to be really rare, now they're almost common. To me they've almost been turned from a kind of "prestige" item into just another gold & mats sink. Not that they weren't that already, mind you. 🤣

On 8/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, Lostcauz.9620 said:

Please don't give up on Nevermore.  Yes, it's a ton of work/harvesting/collection, but it's a great LW.  I'm an absolute LW hog and have crafted six from scratch over the years, plus a couple more where I bought the precursor and crafted the rest.

In the current Legendary Starter Kit, I already have Meteorlogicus, The Bifrost, and Bolt, love them too.  But really, Quip?  QUIP?  The annoying toy pop gun?  Sigh... I may get the kit and use the Gift of Might or Gift of Magic on another LW that I'm almost done crafting.  Wish we could sell the precursor but will take what I can get.

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739