8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Dwarves

The correct term is typically "Dwarfs" when referring to the mythical creatures often depicted in fantasy literature and folklore, such as those found in J.R.R. Tolkien's works like "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings."

"Dwarven" is an alternative form, and it's sometimes used as an adjective to describe things related to or associated with Dwarfs, like "Dwarven craftsmanship" or "Dwarven culture." Both "Dwarfs" and "Dwarven" are acceptable, but "Dwarfs" is the more common and widely recognized term.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

The correct term is typically "Dwarfs" when referring to the mythical creatures often depicted in fantasy literature and folklore, such as those found in J.R.R. Tolkien's works like "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings."

"Dwarven" is an alternative form, and it's sometimes used as an adjective to describe things related to or associated with Dwarfs, like "Dwarven craftsmanship" or "Dwarven culture." Both "Dwarfs" and "Dwarven" are acceptable, but "Dwarfs" is the more common and widely recognized term.

Is it dwarfs with staffs or dwarves with staves? Both plural spellings work and are entirely correct in this context. Tolkien actually spelled it as "dwarves."

But dwarves is strictly in reference to the fantasy race while dwarfs can also be a verb ('X dwarfs Y in size') or plural of a non-fantasy object like white dwarfs (stars). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

again with that. Why nobody gives me a straight answer... What the hell happened there?

Sure, if you don't mind the spoilers.

At the end of the story, the commander and friends go on date/friendshipthing. You get to chose between three characters who can accompany you and during the instance you will have the choice to be either flirty or not.
1) People were unhappy with the given options. Either because the options felt forced or because their favorite character wasn't included.
2) People were unhappy because they missed the "this is just a friendship thing" part and felt forced to romance. That's on them, sure, they were unhappy and vocal nonetheless.
3) People were unhappy because they didn't think the game/story needed this.

for me it's a mix of 1) and 3). 1) because when you have a game with thousands of players, you can either include every NPC into a romance system, so you have everyone covered or you just don't do a romance system. Someplayers want to romance the cute Quaggan you meet in a single core story mission, now you either make a system where they can do that or you just don't make the system at all. 3) because I'm not playing the game for romance, so I's rather have resources spent on something else.

And before you go "but people are always unhappy". Yes they are. Bu also look into it yourself to see just how unhappy people were, I will no longer elaborate on this point when the answers to that are somewhere in the forums search function.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

1) People were unhappy with the given options. Either because the options felt forced or because their favorite character wasn't included.
2) People were unhappy because they missed the "this is just a friendship thing" part and felt forced to romance. That's on them, sure, they were unhappy and vocal nonetheless.
3) People were unhappy because they didn't think the game/story needed this.

ok, I read the wiki and C'MON! A bird! A plant! A... A... A forced dinner out of the blue?

yeah, that's not what I want when I say I want a romance option. I don't want to romance an established NPC (every single NPC in this game deserves to die in the most painful and slowest way possible). I want the option to "create an original" NPC based on some pre-established option or something (kinda like the options we have when we created our PC).

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

ok, I read the wiki and C'MON! A bird! A plant! A... A... A forced dinner out of the blue?

yeah, that's not what I want when I say I want a romance option. I don't want to romance an established NPC (every single NPC in this game deserves to die in the most painful and slowest way possible). I want the option to "create an original" NPC based on some pre-established option or something (kinda like the options we have when we created our PC).

To be fair, that dinner wasn't even a romance stuff. It was just a dinner with a collegue or someone you met recently to better know them... 😄 Just some people, for some reason, think that going to dinner together with people = romantic, somehow 😄 

(And, on top of that, it wasn't even a dinner... It was daytime... So probabbly just lunch? Brunch?)

Edited by Debesyla.7102
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

Tolkien famously invented "dwarves" for his shorties, specifically not "dwarfs".

5 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I read about that once. I think he only use it to match the word elven so: Dwarf/Dwarven and Elf/Elven

Tolkien also invented 'elven', he had to write to the publishers to stop them "correcting" it to elfin which was the standard term at the time and is still used in folklore.

I may be remembering it wrong but I think it had something to do with him thinking elfin sounded too silly and conveyed an image more like the elves in A Midsummer Nights Dream than the more serious way he was portraying his elves (with the possible exception of the scene in the Hobbit when the dwarves arrive in Rivendell).

55 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

To be fair, that dinner wasn't even a romance stuff. It was just a dinner with a collegue or someone you met recently to better know them... 😄 Just some people, for some reason, think that going to dinner together with people = romantic, somehow 😄 

(And, on top of that, it wasn't even a dinner... It was daytime... So probabbly just lunch? Brunch?)

I think part of the confusion is the other two tables were couples on dates. Gorrik and Taimi finally making their relationship official and Rama and Min on a first date. The Commander was invited because both couples were kind of intimidated by the idea and thought having more people would make it more of an informal group dinner and less of a double date, and then Gorrik and Taimi found a 6th person to invite so the Commander wasn't the only one on their own. (Although the real reason the Commander was invited is so the player got to see what happened.)

(That's why I picked Yao, they'd been there though all the preceding events and I thought they would understand the context, could use the downtime as much as everyone else and would probably want to see how the dates worked out too. Both characters agreed throughout it was purely platonic.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beleron.9347 said:

Are you talking about the large, hairy gay variety?

That ridiculous. The post was talking dwarfs with a mustache-less bear. I'm just saying they are lucky its not a bear with a mustache. Those are the evil ones. Unless of course its the dwarf that has no mustache but the bear does. Then I suggest running because both are bad. 

Makes sense now?

• Confused 1