What's the deal with this "green mechanic"?

Fighting Champions is zero fun.

That one shot mechanic being spammed by the champ with no working counter and the ones that do have a counter for it does not work half the time is such bad design and implementation.

Really???!!! A green circle indicates a stack or safe zone in the rest of the game.  What happened here???   This green circle means death to anyone it touches.

And after enduring respawn hell fighting a champ the rewards are trash.  I can make more gold farming mats in Sparkfly Fen in less time it takes to kill a champ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

when it comes to the mechanic cancelaton, I checked Herald's and Warrior's healing skill (defiant stance) and it can tank the damage of the green if timed well. Also, while I was not near the boss It looked like others would get the next round of greens instead of me but for that Im not sure.

Kinda confused not gonna lie and I dont know if its the same green mechanic, but at some bosses there is a special action button that you can use against this attack and also, during story that I tried, there was also a green mechanic that if timed good could be dodged with 0 damage taken. Not sure which is what, if all those 3 greens are the same, why in some bosses there is SAC and yeah I also wiped 3 persons because i thought that greens should be shared ^^'

Edited by Mppa.3250
  • Like 1

The Shared Destruction mechanic in Skywatch Archipelago is a real headache right now. Like most people I saw the green circle and knew, intuitively and from previous encounters, that I needed to stack with as many other people as possible. Looking at damage its clearly not scaling right, or has been significantly over tuned for encounters with lower population counts.

I've also noticed that certain encounters indicators are off by a wide margin. The Tiraeus the Everlasting for example has a forward cone attack that will hit me even when I'm standing directly behind the boss. Very irritating to have the game tell you visually what you're margins are and then have the reality be completely different, especially when you are trying to play melee.

• Like 3

Looked up "Shared Destruction" and it is listed as the mechanic for Master Li and The Sniper in Kaineng Ovelook Strike mission.

As taken from the Kaineng Overlook walkthrough on the wiki:

"If marked by the Greens mechanic, the player should stay behind Minister Li to avoid getting launched and maintain predictable movement. Players not marked by a mechanic should stand within the green circle. "

Edited by Elebril.7341
Added text

How it should work is that the 3 greens should not be stacked but every greens needs at least one other player who doesn't have a green. 

The problem is this mechanic should not activate if there aren't at least 10+ players fighting a boss. Anet should change it so the boss only uses 1 green circle if the players fighting it are less than 10+.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

It is line of sight based. I tested it on a tier 3 rift and jumping down out of sight behind some rocks meant i took zero damage. I repeated it several times successfully

Yep.  I tried it on a champ in an area that had a giant wall/column between two door openings.  When I got the green circle of death, I ran and hid behind the wall/column until the debuff went off and my character took zero damage.  Had to run behind the column repeatedly due to the champ relentlessly spamming the green ring-o-death. but escaped every debuff with zero damage.  The other 2 (two) people fighting the champ and getting the green ring-o-death did not do this and kept hitting the ground...

We did finally beat that champ.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seems it was a bug with player scaling. The recent hot fix mentions this mechanic (for avatar of regret) and that it properly scales now with lower amounts of players - to spawn less of the green aoe circles if there's only few players around. (going by that, I assume each circle is supposed to be tanked seperately by a certain amount of players stacked together - without overlapping the circles)

• Sad 1

On 8/25/2023 at 4:51 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

It is line of sight based. I tested it on a tier 3 rift and jumping down out of sight behind some rocks meant i took zero damage. I repeated it several times successfully

confirmed this is the case, you have to break the line of sight, the telegraph of the mechanic makes no sense at all... should be target the player with a beam

another problem is often the champs that have the mechanic is at open area where there's no place to break line of sight

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

confirmed this is the case, you have to break the line of sight, the telegraph of the mechanic makes no sense at all... should be target the player with a beam

another problem is often the champs that have the mechanic is at open area where there's no place to break line of sight

That dont work on platforms no where to los it

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

That dont work on platforms no where to los it

Not sure if this works, but if you get the marker you can just jump off the platform. That should fully break line of sight. Then just glide -> updraft -> get back. Maybe mount skyscale if you get out of combat or have the combat mounting available. I doubt this is the intended solution, but it may work.

Ran a few more tests. Big thanks to @Randulf.7614:

On 8/24/2023 at 12:34 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

I'd like to know too. All I could figure out was the further from the boss I was when it activated the damage, the less chance of an insta kill it was. I couldn't see any UI tooltip for it though which there normally is for mechanics

Edit disatnce seems part of it, but line of sight seems to be key to zero damage from succsseful tests

Line of Sight is definitely a thing.
Having a little barrier or a 2nd HP bar also seems to work.
A few times, dodging resulted in only 50 % of my max. HP being removed. What if this is a flux-bomb with a weird animation?

We keep testing I guess. Either we figure out the true nature of this weird mechanic OR ANet fixes it. My guess/fear is, by the time we figured it out and adapted to it, they change it XD.