The class being balanced around meme oneshot builds..and it's getting wrecked

Arheundel.6451

Literally, all the damage coefficients are being gradually decreased...like this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"Sic_'Em!" comes with every ranger build as F5, and the end results: you can't run a balanced build without losing almost all damage, you can share the same stats as other professions and without sic'em and all other damage modifiers, you will end up doing 1/4 of their dmg and you do that just, to barely reach them on the sustain totem.

We are already at a point where you either run one of these one-shot meme builds or ..you run a condi build, anything in between gets quite simply out-sustained and outpaced with rather simplistic tactics. The class is being gradually pushed into a corner without much improvements on the gameplay spectrum:

1. Struggles during team fights
  2. Easy to CC
  3. Disengage options getting gutted as time passes by
  4. Low access to active defence....where the GS block and stealth provided by smokescale are the only options to avoid getting killed almost instantly

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to suggest anything without triggering the rabid DPS crowd so.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

. The class is being gradually pushed into a corner without much improvements on the gameplay spectrum:

1. Struggles during team fights
  2. Easy to CC
  3. Disengage options getting gutted as time passes by
  4. Low access to active defence....where the GS block and stealth provided by smokescale are the only options to avoid getting killed almost instantly

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to suggest anything without triggering the rabid DPS crowd so.....

I think another actual big deal is the fun factor in playing ranger. It's rarely been top of anything. But it was FUN!

The mobility, the options etc. are all being gutted. The flipping and jumping around playstyle, which was quite effective in some game modes (pvp) is largely gone. The variety of DPS and defensive options in competitive gameplay are largely gone.

They gave the big fat Guardians a jump around agile spec, but took it away from the foresty, natury, lighter armor Ranger.

I find myself standing there more and more. It fact in PVE open world and meta stuff I just run a Hammer Smasher. I can just stay still and bash away with little problem. If it is a problem, I walk backwards and pull out the bow. Meh.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Norseman.4280 said:

I think another actual big deal is the fun factor in playing ranger. It's rarely been top of anything. But it was FUN!

The mobility, the options etc. are all being gutted. The flipping and jumping around playstyle, which was quite effective in some game modes (pvp) is largely gone. The variety of DPS and defensive options in competitive gameplay are largely gone.

They gave the big fat Guardians a jump around agile spec, but took it away from the foresty, natury, lighter armor Ranger.

I find myself standing there more and more. It fact in PVE open world and meta stuff I just run a Hammer Smasher. I can just stay still and bash away with little problem. If it is a problem, I walk backwards and pull out the bow. Meh.

This is whwat I mean:

Sic'em meme videos and then everything around it get nerfed...I wish they'd delete sic'em from the game

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's almost as if some of us called this:

On 8/23/2023 at 4:38 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

But, as for a reason to why I think staff got nerfed is because of SLB interaction.  They didn't want the might stack potential to make it actually do damage, it's the only thing I can think of.  Otherwise, it is a really random nerf for sure.  

idk how to quote the actual topic but it's the staff coefficient one.

Point is, if players know this, devs know this--and nerfing coefficients and core skills doesn't fix the stupid interactions they create by doing things like opening weapons up to all specs and reworking every rune bonus in the game at the same time.

If anything has a coefficient problem, it's One Wolf Pack , which, even in competitive still applies a ~2.5 damage coefficient per second for 6-8s, on top of whatever other damage you get from the multi-hits to trigger it. That's actually kind of nuts for a damage skill. Effectively a 20 damage coefficient at the cost of a 60s elite skill.

Agree that the huge alpha strike potential when combined with multipliers makes it hard to balance the class as a whole. I think that's a limitation of GW2's combat system, where all direct damage scales with power, and doesn't leave any room for having fixed +damage hits.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The main problem was always access to cleanse wasn't it? Even now you either try and trait for it or use your one utility to cleanse. 

Saying that the power builds are a fine. We now have Sword as another great option. In terms of Condition builds, they are not very well understood by the PvP community. I mean I'm gold 3 with a condition Untamed build and I have never seen anyone run anything close to what I use.

Sometimes I see a few Power Untamed builds but condition is unheard of most of the time. People have no idea the synergies you need to play it. They also hate the Shortbow Ambush. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

We are already at a point where you either run one of these one-shot meme builds or ..you run a condi build, anything in between gets quite simply out-sustained and outpaced with rather simplistic tactics

Just like mesmer was for half it's life.

• Confused 3

Yup, I have a love hate relationship with soulbeast ever since it got introduced.

It’s a great spec but it’s basically ruined all other ranger specs. This espec is so bloated with stats while being able to stack boons, everything in the ranger arsenal has to be toned down because of soulbeast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwituatara.6053 said:

Yup, I have a love hate relationship with soulbeast ever since it got introduced.

It’s a great spec but it’s basically ruined all other ranger specs. This espec is so bloated with stats while being able to stack boons, everything in the ranger arsenal has to be toned down because of soulbeast.

Pretty much, even with the recent Druids buffs it really can't hold a candle to Soulbeast or even Untamed in terms of Dueling. 

7 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Pretty much, even with the recent Druids buffs it really can't hold a candle to Soulbeast or even Untamed in terms of Dueling. 

This is a strange way to look at it. The build you are talking about is also really weak in teamfights while untamed is a better teamfighter and still has things to bring in 1V1. As for druid I have not played it enough since the changes but I am sure it also still is a better teamfighter.

13 hours ago, coro.3176 said:

If anything has a coefficient problem, it's One Wolf Pack , which, even in competitive still applies a ~2.5 damage coefficient per second for 6-8s, on top of whatever other damage you get from the multi-hits to trigger it. That's actually kind of nuts for a damage skill. Effectively a 20 damage coefficient at the cost of a 60s elite skill.

Agree that the huge alpha strike potential when combined with multipliers makes it hard to balance the class as a whole. I think that's a limitation of GW2's combat system, where all direct damage scales with power, and doesn't leave any room for having fixed +damage hits.

I am just going to copy what I said in another thread. The "effective trigger"' does not work on the interval but only after. A perfect example is rapid fire. You have 10 hits in 2.5s. Should be 10 owp hits right? But in reality it is 5 and it triggers every 2 hit.

Every time people talk about it they choose to go for the “maximum damage” needing a specific setup with multihit and getting all hits which has always been unlikely. You can make a lot of dream scenarios with other professions’ elite.

Edited by aymnad.9023

14 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

The main problem was always access to cleanse wasn't it? Even now you either try and trait for it or use your one utility to cleanse. 

Saying that the power builds are a fine. We now have Sword as another great option. In terms of Condition builds, they are not very well understood by the PvP community. I mean I'm gold 3 with a condition Untamed build and I have never seen anyone run anything close to what I use.

Sometimes I see a few Power Untamed builds but condition is unheard of most of the time. People have no idea the synergies you need to play it. They also hate the Shortbow Ambush. 

Wise people keep their builds hidden for fear of them becoming popular and then getting wrecked by nerfs only because Timmy and Jimmy lost to it in some dark corner of PvP silver rank match. 

• Like 1

I think soulbeast... really felt like the "Final E-spec" because of how much it had. In all honesty its existence is kind of the problem, I've come to like the theme and I wish I wanted to run a ranger without a pet because its as close to a shapeshifting druid character as I can get.. I guess? The stances and animal theme really feels cool. As someone who has always loved the norn it feels like a "norn" spec. 

I just... I dunno. This class keeps getting hit with like the bat over and over again, I dont know what their overall desire for it is.