You guys made everything easier. Disrespect for old players.

2 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Disrespect ?

As a veterant I'll have to ask, in what way Anet disrespected me ? I get that it may seems annoying that something can now be aquired in a less annoying way/less grindy way. But how exactly is it disrespectful ? If you are a long time player like me, you had all the time to do a complete set of legendary armor, trinket and weapon. You had all the time to unlock skyscale, griffin and their mastery. You had all the time you wanted and still have all the time you want to play with your shiny stuff.

What is 1 legendary amulet and weapon for a new player compared to all the legendary stuff a veterant could have ? It is a motivation to keep playing the game and enjoying their stuff but I dont get how it suddenly seems to invalidate your fun of the game to a point you felt disrespected.

The game is old now and allowing new/returning players to get a boost in their account wealth by allowing them to get a free legendary amulet and/or a free weapon (well not entirely free but save a lot of time) is a genius move. New players will get taste of one piece of end game item and it's a great motivation to keep them supporting the game. Again, it is one amulet or weapon, it's not going to be a massive game changer so to speak but it is still a pretty good boost for their account.

It is true there are player you will do one thing, get what they want and leave the game. And it's fine so to speak, I dont see it as a problem. But honestly, if you are a veterant and that type of player, chances are you already left the game because by now you already completed your goal so it's kind of a moot point to talk about it from a veterant perspective. 

I don't understand.  I love the game . I still play the game daily after 10+ years. I don't begrudge new players getting things to attract them, motivate them and keep them. I welcome it. I don't like it at my expense. I am out gold and time for the same things that new players get for no time and no gold (or close to it). You can't give me back the time, and I dont begrudge the lost time because it was my choice and I often had a lot if fun (tho sometimes it was only a grind). But I do begrudge the lost gold and materials. I now have less than new players. I make 3 or 4 gold a day and saved and saved materials and gold to make my new legendaries. I have 2 old school legendary weapons, and 1 set of wvw legendary armor which I just got last month after10 years of play. I had to pay full price for everything, even last month! Now everyone gets it and my stuff is not in any way unique or hard earned or anything. But worse, I am out all the gold and materials. Couldn't anet have seen fit to recognize this issue upfront and rectify the inequality that results from it, both in terms of rewards not meaning much now and my loss of gold/ resources? Just saying, disgruntled vets leads to attrition in population base as well, and we can all throw words at this issue, and old players can try to "reframe" their thought  process,  making their losses into non existent gold dreams, or we can do nothing, not redress anything and hope old players stick it out again, or we can have anet reward their vets with something more than a transmutation stone and 1 exclusive dye 1x per year. Which sounds best? I know what I pick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

What? You obviously have misunderstood what I said. This makes no sense. I'm not suggesting anyone should spit on anyone. Please dontvreframe my words into words I didn't say and meanings I didn't say/suggest/imply or condone. Reread and if you need clarification I'm happy to restate my position until you understand it correctly. Unless, of course, you are speaking only for yourself and how you view this issue and that you favor what you said, in which case I don't agree with you, I don't condone what you said/want. In any event, don't misattribute your thoughts to me. 

You'd win Olympic gold if backpedaling and goal post moving were sports.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Ollie B.8597 said:

The Shatterer was defeated in 1min 24sec at 02:08 UK time 31/08/2023

I would consider myself new and I consider this is too fast for a world boss but i am 1 of many players

That's not surprising, considering Shatterer is now a PvE Weekly, so all the big 40k+ DPS raid rotation experienced players are going to come out and speedrun it for the easy acclaim. When "normal" players do it, it's not that fast. Hell, any world boss at all on the PvE Weekly is going to get burned to hell and back because the "super stronk" players are going to come out to slap it.

That said, I hope that, one day, Anet will continue to update the world bosses the way they did the starter ones. Taidha needs a serious rework.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

I had to pay full price for everything, even last month! Now everyone gets it and my stuff is not in any way unique or hard earned or anything.

That's just... blatantly untrue. I can't tell if you're hyperbolizing just because you're upset or if you genuinely believe that's happening, because it isn't. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how you equate a one time purchase of roughly half of a gen 1 legendary weapon that *anyone including vets* can purchase to acquiring WvW legendary armor, which is notoriously one of the longest grinds in the entire game.

These two things are not even in the same ball park. There is no shortcut to legendary armor. You worked as hard as literally everyone else who gets it, and this starter kit does not change any aspect of that whatsoever. The kit is not a free legendary. The open world legendary armor they're releasing in 6 months is going to be roughly as long of a grind as WvW armor. The "free" legendary amulet from living world is regularly picked up by vets because the vast majority of players both old and new don't care for getting the PvP one.

Where are you making up this idea that suddenly everyone and their mother is getting legendary stuff for free out of nowhere? I'm honestly asking.

Edited by Darklord Roy.2514
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been a player since Prophecies in GW1 (5 years, you don't have bragging rights to be called "old player" :P) and I don't mind newer player having an easier time catching up.
In fact, we -need- them to catch up to keep the game alive and well

However I do agree with some of the points in the wish list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

Don't think anyone did that. Speaking on behalf of vets as a group, not all vets, don't think the clarification that it doesn't apply to everyone was unnecessary, as it's a given in every situation.

You can't speak on behalf of vets as a group, because we're not a group. You can speak for yourself. You can speak for players like you. But I don't think most vets feel insulted by these changes. I think most vets don't care at all, and some of us are in favor of these changes. So saying it's insulting to vets is flat out wrong. It's insulting to the OP.

• Like 4

On 8/29/2023 at 5:14 AM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Yep. I see "if you want hard game go play FF14/WoW" way too often from people who never tried either. Other than the gear tradmill and a good chunk of stuff being character bound WoW is overall easier than GW2. Imagine being able to solo W4 or W5 like you can solo Mythic Legion Raids in WoW.

More like people caring about the game will bombard the thread. I can also go on about flexing how I started GW a few weeks into the release of Factions, but it's pretty much the equivalent of "I make X amount of money a year", If you feel the need to dip into the "I've been playing since X" to try to support whatever your argument is trying to be is a good indication that your argument is borderline pointless. 

In this case, I've been playing since X is sort of the whole point. 

• Confused 3

On 8/29/2023 at 5:20 AM, Hotride.2187 said:

I've played since 2018, I'm full legendary (was, before the relics, hahaha), I got the skyscale years ago, I don't feel disrespected. Well other than the legendary relic missing for another year, that feels pretty disrespectful.

Then you comment on something that doesn't apply to you or bother you ... I mean, it's your right/ privilege, but what's the point? Kinda a non issue for you so kinda meaningless either way. If your happy, and not bothered, enjoy the game!

• Confused 3

34 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

That's not surprising, considering Shatterer is now a PvE Weekly, so all the big 40k+ DPS raid rotation experienced players are going to come out and speedrun it for the easy acclaim. When "normal" players do it, it's not that fast. Hell, any world boss at all on the PvE Weekly is going to get burned to hell and back because the "super stronk" players are going to come out to slap it.

That said, I hope that, one day, Anet will continue to update the world bosses the way they did the starter ones. Taidha needs a serious rework.

Agreed. Karka Queen is worst for me, it's billed as legendary in the wiki and in the same section as Triple Trouble and Tequatl but it usually seems to melt in less than 2 minutes.

• Confused 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:04 AM, Lucy.3728 said:

That ship's sailed years before you started playing.
The game at release was different than what you got to know. You already got it easier than the players before you too.
So don't throw your stones too far in your glass house.

But what you observe isn't the game. It's life.
Don't know about your country, but mine raises a community of slackers that may not even be a community anymore but a lazy mob of individualists that want their wishes fulfilled; not other's, other ppl are npcs even in real life; with low (self) effort.
We call it Gen Z.
(I'm Gen X)

The game industry probably does not target the old generations like me, so they adapt to the new one.

In this game I actually don't care. It's a game, meant to entertain. If some want it easy, then why not give them easy? As long as there is still a hard way for those that like it the hard way.
Some do the jumping puzzles step by step and jump by jump.
I fly with the skyscale and hop off.
Both player types may even teleport others to the chests afterwards.

Isn't the game awesome?

What compensation? You kept it, it's not taken away from you.

Are you one of those guys that begrudge other ppl every little thing?

I don't have the compensation anymore. I now have a weapon that's as prestigious as a starter weapon. I'm out all the gold and mats to craft it, and others r not. I don't begrudge the change, the easy access, the freebies, I begrudge my devalued account and the fact that my hard earned legendary is as commonplace as old sludge starter hammer. Why couldn't anet make new free legendaries or reward vets in  some way for their contributions to the game. I mean, would new players begrudge vets who got an exclusive infusion, or some other similar reimbursement/ compensation to make up for the lost gold/materials or devaluation they might be feeling. We don't want to drive vets away either, do we?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

I don't have the compensation anymore. I now have a weapon that's as prestigious as a starter weapon. I'm out all the gold and mats to craft it, and others r not. I don't begrudge the change, the easy access, the freebies, I begrudge my devalued account and the fact that my hard earned legendary is as commonplace as old sludge starter hammer. Why couldn't anet make new free legendaries or reward vets in  some way for their contributions to the game. I mean, would new players begrudge vets who got an exclusive infusion, or some other similar reimbursement/ compensation to make up for the lost gold/materials or devaluation they might be feeling. We don't want to drive vets away either, do we?

No you feeling it is devalued means nothing mate sorry to say but thats the truth.

Cant say I agree with the legendary starting kits but it is what it is.

Looking forward to gift of battle starting kit and gift of explorer starting kits that will surely arrive in a later update.

The exploring is whats holding me back creating any of the 19 gen 1 precursors I have in the bank since I cant decide were my 1 exploration scroll will go.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Having played since Guild Wars 1, I am completely fine with easier acquisition of everything. This is not my full time job. It is my escape. I crafted legendaries when they were hard. I'm really excited to do some more on easy mode. Manipulating the trading post for profit was never this game's intended mode of play. So for those of you complaining about devaluing crafting components... I couldn't care less. That is a non issue. Those of you speaking for long time players.... please speak only for yourself. We are all different and will speak up if we want to be heard.

I havent seen anyone speaking for you. If what people are complaining about doesn't affect you, and you couldn't care less, y r u here ? Y feel the need to interject if it's a non issue for u? Those of us who r complaining on behalf of old players r doing so on behalf of like minded players of a similar mindset,  viewpoint and position in the game. That should be an obvious given, and not something needing clarification. Y would we be in here advocating on behalf of people who don't agree with us? That makes no sense.  If you dont agree, say so, and say y, if u r so inclined, but don't deflect from our arguments or devalue our complaints by asserting that it doesn't apply to you or everyone... if it doesn't apply to you go enjoy the game. No one said everyone agrees and no one said what we say is something everyone feels or agrees with. Your pointing out you have no interest in this issue and you are not affected by our views adds nothing, not even opposition, it simply states the obvious that our complaints are not everyone's complaints. So what? Deflection, and not helpful. I have yet to see any reason y compensating vet players somehow for their now unnecessary gold expenditures would not solve everything and hurt no one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/29/2023 at 4:38 PM, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

This is the most Boomer of Boomer mentalities, wow.

jUsT bEcAuSe I sUfFeRrEd yOu HaVe To SuFfEr ToO

I've been playing MMOs since 2005 (I was 14 and had just barely gotten internet strong enough to MMO with, and it was still a struggle). I've seen WoW/pre-WoW style MMO gameplay, played KMMO grindfrests (just spent 2 hours grinding 1% XP? Oops, you died, you just lost 0.75% XP), camped spawns for days/weeks and then had to fight other players for that spawn, RNGesus literally ruled whether your game experience would be playable or not, and more. I played GW2 betas and launch and then off and on over the last 11 years (mostly because I was already invested in another MMO + school + work, and taking a break in GW2 didn't put me millennia behind everyone else; I currently have 7300 hours in the game). Making older content easier to get through is a GOOD thing when everyone and the game are years ahead of that content. Hell, WoW/FFXIV/etc "nerf" older content. It doesn't take nearly as long to get certain older shiny items than it did when they came out.

Are there some changes I'd like to see made in GW2? Absolutely, but the "nerfing" of ancient grinds when there are new things to grind for (the preliminary costs of OW legendary armor are looking...interesting) isn't a bad thing. So, yeah, don't speak for me.

(And the Aurene legendaries COST about the same to make as the gen1s did at the time because <the antique summoning stones> were/are timegated if you didn't shell out for the exorbitant TP prices + do Dragon's End every day, plus succeed at DE if you needed the lantern. Now Aurene legendaries are ~1200g and so to craft vs ~1000-1100g for certain gen1s --obviously excluding Twilight/Sunrise. The major grind with the Aurene legendaries are the elder dragon skins, which I think are 300g+ each + require completing a collection each time, so it's not like th"tere isn't a grind for a "prestige" item there.)

"This is the most Boomer of Boomer mentalities, wow." This is really offensive  to elderly people. Why r u and most young people and possibly even anet ok with this offensiveness? If you were to replace the word Boomer with any number of other derogatory slang words, it would not be OK (and let's be clear, you are not using this terminology in a kind, respectful or positive way ... the context is clearly meant to be disparaging against older people). It's unkind and I'm asking you politely to not do it anymore as it offends me on behalf of elderly people everywhere. 

• Confused 3

On 8/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, Mackdose.6504 said:

Just opened my 11th birthday gift on the head-start anniversary.

Everything about these changes is good, I look forward to using the leggo kit to craft meteorlogicus, my third gen 1 legendary and fourth legendary overall. I'm glad people get to have a Skyscale for this expac without having to grind the old stuff for it. 

The OP's mentality is toxic and bad for the game long term. I really dislike when a person decides they get to speak for "who has been playing the longest".

I agree with you to a point. And kudos to you for 4 legendaries. I've gotten 1 precursor drop in 11 years of playing daily. I've gotten 2 Gen 1 precursors late in game play from mystic forge (severely devalued). I crafted only 2 legendaries ever. I don't begrudge anyone not having to do that grind. However, while I understand there is natural devaluation over time, this severely devalues my accomplishments/rewards. What's the point of them? I don't see anyone walking around brandishing starter weapons proudly ... and we all got them easily for free. I just crafted last month my 1st set lf legendary armor.  All materials and requirements are seriously discounted. While that might be a good thing for everyone overall, it sill has the sting of  "I just saved for years, jumping thru hoops and scripting and saving and doing without and grinding to buy my first 'X, and im so oroud of it now, only to have it the following day go on sale for a zero time commitment and 80 percent off or free giveaway. " O boy!!! 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Agreed. Karka Queen is worst for me, it's billed as legendary in the wiki and in the same section as Triple Trouble and Tequatl but it usually seems to melt in less than 2 minutes.

It used to be a scary boss, but players are so much stronger now than even a few years ago.

Also, Eater...OK Boomer, calm down on the posting. Multiple disjointed posts in a row is getting weird, and I'm concerned for you.

1 hour ago, Vain.3805 said:

I have Bifrost, multiple 10 year old toons, and just got my 10k achievement award.

Only thing I don't really like is how banal my Bifrost looks standing next to the new legendaries... do the new legendary owners even notice me?

I mean, we have a spicy nickname for what the Bifrost could be compared to, so some of us notice it for that (approximate maturity level of a 16 year old), but, otherwise, it is a pretty fun staff on characters with lots of movement combat animations (like daredevil). Works much better for those situations than Nevermore does, imo. Definitely very pretty staff.

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

Hi, I am a veteran player as well, having played since launch of gw1 and 2. I agree with you. I have no problem with newer players getting rewards easier, since I realize people in general are struggling with the standard time commitments of old school mmorpgs. However, it's one thing to give rewards/skills/development faster to everyone, thereby benefitting new players disproportionately advantageously (since most, tho not all, vet players have already slogged their way through maps , achieves, rewards, titles, etc.), but to go the extra step of punishing vet players and making them feel devalued or worthless (since their longstanding contributions to the game are now of zero value to the game, themselves or others) seems mean and disrespectful.  While I am not suggesting (please pay attention here) that new players should not get free stuff or a free ride or easy peasy content or rewards, I am saying it should not be accompanied with a slap in the face to vet players.  I realize the game is old, and we need to and want to (and welcome/enjoy!) both encourage and facilitate new player base, but we should not cause older players to become disgruntled in the process, possibly losing their significant and loyal participation in the process. There are several possible solutions to this dilemma, but anet has to be interested enough in the gw brand (including future releases) to take notice and corrective action. The answer is not to create a slog/grind fest for new players (they don't have the time, interest or inclination... especially when quick cell phone game apps proliferate), putting them thru the same grinding interminable torture we vets all went thru (and it frequently wasn't fun, but felt more like a job to get the goal/reward done). Instead, the answer(s) is to let the new players have their cas/breezy play and rewards, but to reward us vets differently in recognition for our longstanding commitment and contribution to the game, its community, development, support, success and longevity. This is simply accomplished in myriad ways (pick any one/2/all/etc.):  1) more substantial unique/exclusive rewards/bday presents/attire/infusions, etc. 2) better content from salvaging for vets (i.e., 4x ectos per salvage, 10 x resources, etc. 3) payment in gold to us for our time crafting endlessly and the cost spent on recipes, map travel, resources, etc. 4) unique armor/weapons given (free!!!!!) and available to vets only scaled by length of playtime 5) unique infusions (also scalable based on time) for free!!!! Etc. You get the idea, come up with your own favorites. The idea is then we would be getting something easy peas breezy for free as well. It would level the playing field and cost anet minimally.  I would be less resentful and less inclined to leave butt hurt. Just a suggestion. Also, it's OK to not like me or my suggestions but if anyone posts something nasty, petty, mean or gross in response please know its unwarranted. Thanks for hearing my input.

This may come across as a bit snarky, but that's not really the intention:  Who are you?  Not to put to fine a point to it, but none of your contributions to the game would seem to have benefitted me, because I have absolutely no idea who you are, nor do I know what it is you contributed to my enjoyment of the game at any stage.  So, from my perspective, you've never had any value, so it would be hard for random new player 26789 getting gear faster than you to take anything away from that, wouldn't it?  How does the aforementioned random player getting that gear take away from your sense of accomplishment at getting it?  Unless, as I asked another poster earlier, you felt underwhelmed by your "accomplishment"?

So, your solution to feeling slighted is to make others feel slighted by getting special treatment?  Understand that, while I didn't come in during the betas, or at launch, it's not like I came in with the Steam launch or something, nor have I ever asked for special consideration.  I mean, I don't even own the expansion that would let me get the skyskale easier, and I still haven't bothered to get it.  Hell, I don't even have the jackyl or griffon yet either, just never felt like I needed 'em and never went after 'em.  For all of that, I don't feel like someone else getting the skyskale easier is taking away from my experience.  It's certainly not taking away from it enough that I feel the need to insist on special treatment.

The reward for doing what you did to get what you got was getting what you got.  If that didn't give you the sense of accomplishment, how is getting stuff for free going to do that?  The simple answer is that it's not going to.  What it is going to do is feed your sense of self worth.  I mean, you state in this very post that your contributions to me, as a member of the community, are somehow lessened by other players getting stuff in an easier manner, and yet, I have no idea what it is that you contributed to my gameplay/enjoyment.  It's hard to be worth less than nothing, isn't it?  Again, I'm not trying to be mean here.  It's simply that, despite what you believe, the main thing you have done is enhance your own experience, and frankly, that's all you're "required" to do. 

If I find things aren't fun, I don't do them.  I also don't come to the forums and insist that they be changed to suit me.  If you search up my post history, you'll find that despite the fact that I don't do group content, I have posted to the negative on any thread that insists that said content should be made solo-able, for example.  It's an MMO, and despite the fact that this is my "vacation from group content MMO", that group content serves a purpose, and needs to be left alone.  If I'd had a vote on giving other stuff away for free, I'd likely vote no.  I'm not going to be salty about it being done, though, and I'm not going to feel like my experience is lessened by someone getting something for free, or even just easier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

Don't think anyone is complaining about increased accessibility or new players. We're complaining about the prior slog, and how now that slog is worth nothing and we who did the slog have nothing to show for it cept for what everyone else who didn't slog also has.  The difference is, I'm out all the gold used to craft those things or play time and new players r not. So we're not in a nice commune, sharing everything equally as you seem to suggest.  Vets are out the gold. I now have less gold than new players cuz I used it all up on crafting/map travel/required mats etc, and they didn't. I don't feel loved. I feel kicked in the face. 

I mean, thats just complaining about newly made ease of accessibility for new players.

And like i too have paid out hundreds if not thousands of gold to get the items i need to improve my gameplay experience. Im out of gold too.

If newer players have an easier time getting to where i am right now, that doesnt invalidate my previous experience. It doesnt mean i wasted my time, effort or gold on things. You got those things and still have them, i have my things and still have them.

What it does mean is that more people have access to the fun part of the game with fewer restrictions. New players having easier access to legendary equipment, the skyscale etc. Just means that more players will have the fun you and i are having. It doesnt invalidate the experiences you had in getting your stuff, in getting where you are.

• Like 1

This is expected in an MMO which has been out as long as GW2. The game keeps adding new content and if they don't make the  old stuff more accessible to new players, they will always be playing catch up. I also strongly disagree with your take on using the turtle mounts to get to new maps. The objective of any MMO should be to increase social interaction and in this case the turtle mount had that effect. While achievements can be motivating, we play games for fun and enjoyment.  Also lets be honest, achievements in games mean nothin once the game shuts down. When that happens, no one is going to remember grinding the skyscale, the griffon or legendary weapons. The only thing we will take with us are the interactions we've had with other players. 

On 8/29/2023 at 5:11 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

I've been playing the game for 11 years and a big part of the reason I started playing at all and stuck with it because it doesn't require you to make it your main/only hobby or second job to get anything done. I always liked the idea of MMOs but playing most others meant accepting I'd never really achieve anything. Sooner or later I'd get bored with mucking around with the few things I could do and stop playing because it was boring and never going to get less boring since it wasn't designed to accomodate players like me.

I honestly don't care if other players are able to do things more quickly or easily than me. Sometimes I choose to make things harder for myself because I want to, for example I made the precursor for The Bifrost even though it was cheaper to buy it because I wanted to do the collections, then I made a second Dreamer I didn't need at all (I sold it) because I wanted to do those collections as well even though I already had the weapon. If I was purely looking at time/gold invested vs reward both of those were bad choices, but I had fun doing it so for me it was worth it.

But at other times I like that there's easier way to do things because I might want that option. I thought the original skyscale collection was fine, the most important thing for me is you didn't lose any progress for doing it too slowly so I could do a bit at a time as and when I felt like it and eventually I had it all done. (The way some games do things you'd have to feed your skyscale every day without missing one or things like that, otherwise it would reset.) But I don't mind at all that newer players now have an easier way of doing it (although that is certainly not 'given away for free' there's still a multi-step collection to complete).

If you want it to be hard to get any interesting rewards or new abilities and to always stay just as hard (or even get harder) then this isn't the game you expected it to be, and it never has been. You're going to have to look elsewhere for games which make those kinds of demands of their players.

Dont forget that they removed the wing 5 6 7 currency also and made them the wing 1234 so people had even more easy access to them. Plus the new strikes ones they removed also and made them old ice saga ones. Is just the new thing they will do from now on.

Edited by Nightcore.5621
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1