How this tier 3 rift item thingy works

Junkpile.7439

9 hours ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Crafted one, but too scared to use it. Do i need to be first one to open rift? Do i lose t3 rift "buff" if i do tier 1 rift? Whole thing seems kind of complicated. Weird thing is that nobody ever open tier 3 rift so there is probably some chance to mess things up.

I did only yet used tier 1 motivations so I hope its the same for higher tiers. I haven't really seen anyone give a good explanation though.

Motivations have 2 functionalities. 1. Tracking higher tier rifts, 2. Opening/using motivation on the rift for better rewards.

1. You click motivation in your inventory and it will track the corresponding rifts. For tier 2 and 3 you see an icon in your buff bar. For tier 1 you dont (default state). You can change the tracking mode anytime by just clicking the corresponding motivation. Motivation is not lost in the process.

2. When you clear the mobs the rift becomes interactable. You "use" on the rift and it will open. Dialogue window pops up and you click the dialogue to open the rift. This you should be familiar if you opened any rift before. On tier 1 there is a second dialogue option where you can open the rift with motivation. This will consume your motivation and give better rewards. I imagine for higher rifts there is only 1 dialogue option and it uses your motivation.

So you can't really waste your motivation. I dont know what happens if you open the rift with motivation and fail it. I guess in this case you do waste your motivation. 

Please someone with more experience correct me if I wrote something wrong.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, FalanuLachance.4576 said:

That's just unnecessarily complicated. Just one more inventory slot blocked.

What's so complicated about it? Activate motivations, track rifts and kill stuff. That's it. If you're doing t2/3 rifts, announce it in lfg and a group of people will gladly follow you. 
If someone else opens t2/3 rifts, you still get t2/3 materials even without interacting with the rift. Anyone who interacts with the rift with their own motivations active, will get more loot from them.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What's so complicated about it? Activate motivations, track rifts and kill stuff. That's it. If you're doing t2/3 rifts, announce it in lfg and a group of people will gladly follow you. 
If someone else opens t2/3 rifts, you still get t2/3 materials even without interacting with the rift. Anyone who interacts with the rift with their own motivations active, will get more loot from them.

I'll tell you, what's comlicated about the whole game right now: Scattered masteries depending on each other, no documentation, 5 continents of which you need something to enjoy the other parts. Broken quest direction in this fragmented Soto-world. Enough for you to consider it a miserable experience for a fresh player?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, FalanuLachance.4576 said:

I'll tell you, what's comlicated about the whole game right now: Scattered masteries depending on each other, no documentation, 5 continents of which you need something to enjoy the other parts. Broken quest direction in this fragmented Soto-world. Enough for you to consider it a miserable experience for a fresh player?

That doesn't answer the question, you're just drifting into other topics instead -and as much as I can discuss those too if you really want to, this is not a thread about any of that. It sure is about the one thing you didn't address now for some reason, though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

The way it works - when you doubleclick the motivation, you will receive a buff - it does not consume motivation, but the buff makes your heart of the obscure to track t3 rifts.

Motivation only gets consumed when you use it to open a rift - you do not have to be first one to do so, as multiple people using their motivations should scale the boss and rewards up. If you miss the window of opening the rift proper, you can still get loot from that t3, and not consume your motivation in the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

complication comes from how expensive they are.

it feels like it should give a 1 hour bonus for rift but its a one time use

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

complication comes from how expensive they are.

So it's expensive (and doesn't need to be, if you're willing to follow someone else but farm longer instead of paying more), not complicated.

13 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

it feels like it should give a 1  bonus for rift but its a one time use

I don't understand this part, what "1 bonus for rift" means?

• Confused 3

Ah. Interesting info about the bonus chest. Need to check the wiki on this later. (Also would be interesting to know how it changes with the last mastery level - that also increases the rewards ... meaning you'd get lower ones without it.) From the description it seemed like more people could add motivations to the rift so everyone would get more rewards.

But from what people mention in the thread it seems more like each person can add 1 motivation for themselves to get an extra chest. The person luring the boss (for T2/T3) would have to place an extra one as well - to get the bonus chest? / Edit: Wiki actually seems to have a lot of info on this already. Even for with mastery vs without mastery. Nice.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

using motivation its give a bonus chest when close the rift. u receive a chest with normal loot(normaly 5~12 rift essence) + the bonus chest.

the bonus chest have very much more essences of the tier, normaly ~30

Ok, yeah, using motivation gives more essence -but this is how it works now, so why is that post saying "it feels like it should give..."? 

But now I see the edit to the original post and now it's clear what it was supposed to say 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Ah. Interesting info about the bonus chest. Need to check the wiki on this later. (Also would be interesting to know how it changes with the last mastery level - that also increases the rewards ... meaning you'd get lower ones without it.) From the description it seemed like more people could add motivations to the rift so everyone would get more rewards.

this is hard to confirm, unless some ppl really do strict test.

based we have so many T2/T3 hunts, and i never see variation on the "bonus chest", i really doubt theres a "cumulative effect". 

to me to bonus chest seems very individual and not affected by others using the "motives". 

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Carnifex.3275 said:

Yeah ngl, this motivation system is quite annoying. Wish they could just scrap this idea and revamp the system. Or just simply make rifts without any motivations needed.

the solution would be separate scan/motivation in 2 items to work as buffs, the "scanner" buff will be permanent activated by a gizmo, til u use same gizmo to swap to anotherother "rift level"/deactivate, and the consumption item(as different buff) will be a stack decreased at every use. 

The problem, is that we know Anet have historical troubles to make buff's persistent across the maps(remember the relutance they make jade buffs work even swapping maps).

The actual system don't waste your item unless u really want consume it.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Carnifex.3275 said:

Or just simply make rifts without any motivations needed.

You can followa group/commie, use 0 motivations and still get t1-2-3 motivations (not even counting bonus weekly chests which also give t1-3 essences regardless of the tier of rifts you're completing).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 11:37 PM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

You can only use appropriate motivation for the rift tier (t1 common, t2 uncommon, t3 rare), and the item is used only when opening it after the event to kill kryptis.

T2 and T3 are only opened by motivation, but anyone can use one to get the bonus chest.

How do I know which motivation 1m2 or 3 I am using....it simply states scan rifts

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, APrincessOfAlot.4735 said:

How do I know which motivation 1m2 or 3 I am using....it simply states scan rifts

Your heart of the obscure scan t1 by default, you can double click uncommon and rare motivation to set it for t2 and t3, respectively (you'll have a buff showing it). You can go back to t1 by double clicking the motivation you clicked  before or a common one. 

When you are at the rift, the level is indicated in the event. 

Edited by Shuzuru.3651
  • Like 1

Let's summarize:

Tier1  rifts - can be opened by anyone, get tracked by your mastery automatically, can have a motivation added for increased personal rewards (the motivation is used up)

Tier 2 rifts - needs 1 tier 2 motivation to be opened (a single player using a tier 2 motivation is enough), every player helping in closing the rift will get rewards, can be tracked by using the mmtier 2 motivation, a tier 2 motivation can be added individually for increased personal rewards (this will consume the motivation)

Tier 3 rifts - similar as tier 2

Motivations:

Motivations are required for the tracking and initial opening of tier 2 or 3 rifts (1 player is sufficient). More motivations can be added into the rift (during the 15 seconds while it opens) by other players for increased personal rewards. Opening a tier 2 or 3 rift or adding your motivation to it will consume the motivation.

The system is designed to consume materials and remove materials from the games economy. Motivations can be purchased from the TP, essentially paying another player for their materials (especially rift essence) for personal use to increase essence gained. Motivations can be crafted for higher essence gain at the expense of lower tier essence and gold (tier 1 essence cost materials to craft, tier 2 motivations cost tier 1 essence and materials to craft, tier 3 motivations cost tier 2 essence and materials to craft).

It is possible to acquire tier 1, 2 or 3 essence without using motivations. Tier 2 and 3 requires following a player who opens the rift (using their own motivation). This saves personal gold/materials but yields less reward per rift if not adding a personal motivation.

The system is really not that complicated if you spend 5 minutes on understanding what it is designed for (remove materials from the game) and how it works (less  specific reward for less investment, more specific reward for more investment. The specific reward being essence which is needed for legendary open world armor).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/8/2023 at 11:18 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

More motivations can be added into the rift (during the 15 seconds while it opens)

Actually it seems players can add motivations even after the boss spawned, the rift is still "interactable" and there is the option to use the motivation which then normally drops bonus essence.

Edited by Sobx.1758

52 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Actually it seems players can add motivations even after the boss spawned, the rift is still "interactable" and there is the option to use the motivation which then normally drops bonus essense.

Interesting, the 1-2 times I tried it didn't give me that option once the boss spawned, but it might not be consistent. I usually stuck to adding the motivation before since then.

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Interesting, the 1-2 times I tried it didn't give me that option once the boss spawned, but it might not be consistent. I usually stuck to adding the motivation before since then.

The few times I arrived while the t3 boss was already spawned I was able to add the motivation. Might be incosistent (even though it was consistent the few times I did it), didn't really go out of my way to test it. 

e: And just did it with a t2 too.

Edited by Sobx.1758