What happened to Magdaer?!

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

spoilers for personal story and heart of thorns

she gave it to beigarth to be reforged, but not long after he was drafted into the pact to make weapons based upon his recreation of deldrimor steel. his airship crashed in verdant brink and he's not seen or heard from after the event chain there. he's possibly didn't make it.

he's near dead in prisoners of the dragon, and since its an achivement to rescue him its thus non-canon to do so.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

11 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Beigarth actually survived though. He survived the crash and was in verdant brink during events!

spoilers for heart of thorns

its possible that the story mission prisoners of the dragon, where its optional to revive him or leave him takes place before those events, and that we're the one who found them and set it all into motion, but its left deliberately ambiguous "when" the commander arrives.

as far as i know, of the five npcs we have to rescue, only one is ever seen again (shashoo).

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

spoilers for heart of thorns

its possible that the story mission prisoners of the dragon, where its optional to revive him or leave him takes place before those events, and that we're the one who found them and set it all into motion, but its left deliberately ambiguous "when" the commander arrives.

as far as i know, of the five npcs we have to rescue, only one is ever seen again (shashoo).

I would argue that the story mission occurs before the meta event. For two reasons:

1. In the story, the group are all captured and we free them and others, while in the meta they begin and - and most importantly, end free (I am not 100% sure but it's possible that they are shown evacuating the area via the choppers, as we see happen with some other metas).
  2. Occam's dialogue. If you talk to him in the story, he doesn't know what's happening and asks the Commander why all the sylvari are turning, but in the open world he shows affirmation of knowing what's going on and that he won't turn.

Occam: Commander? What's going on out there? Some of my former comrades in the Pact don't seem to distinguish between Mordrem and sylvari.
PC: It's Mordremoth. The dragon's influence turns some sylvari bad.
Occam: That explains the terrible voice I hear and the strange thoughts I've been having. But I know who I am, and I swear to you—I am not some Mordrem thrall.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prisoners_of_the_Dragon

Occam: This has been horrible! My own brethren have turned against us!
PC: Are you all right?
Occam: I fear I'm badly rattled, that's all. And I keep hearing this buzzing in my ears, like a horrible song that no one else can hear.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Occam

The clear display of "what's going on" to "I know what's happening" indicates a progression of time.

In either case, the end result is the same: the group is free and active. It might be mechanically optional to revive the group or not in the story, but the canon lore tends to treat all optional story events as happening even if the Commander wasn't involved, which explains why Shashoo is seen later on. Either way, no reason to assume any are dead.

22 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Guild Wars 2 set up the lore around defeated not equaling being dead. If you can press F and revive someone, they are simply defeated. Anyone from the Pact could have come by and helped them out later, and being fully defeated doesn't always imply grave or time-sensitive injury.

From the wiki on "Defeated":

During the beta stages, this status was referred to as "death" in several descriptions. This change reflects the fact in lore that resurrections are no longer as easy since the Six Human Gods pulled back their avatars and ceased direct interaction with Tyria. Because of this, defeated players are never considered to be dead in lore.

1 hour ago, mandala.8507 said:

During the beta stages, this status was referred to as "death" in several descriptions. This change reflects the fact in lore that resurrections are no longer as easy since the Six Human Gods pulled back their avatars and ceased direct interaction with Tyria. Because of this, defeated players are never considered to be dead in lore.

The important word in this quote is Players  note that this do not work the same for npcs

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

The important word in this quote is Players  note that this do not work the same for npcs

So in your view, when we rez NPCs in open world or in story missions, we are bringing them back to life? Because this happens a LOT. Are you of the opinion that the lore implication here is that we are have the ability to bring people back from death?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mandala.8507 said:

So in your view, when we rez NPCs in open world or in story missions, we are bringing them back to life? Because this happens a LOT. Are you of the opinion that the lore implication here is that we are have the ability to bring people back from death?

To be fair, there was that bizarre change a while ago where you'd see a prompt saying "revive" when you went to help a downed NPC or player...and it got changed to "resurrect." For some inexplicable reason.

As far as the OP: yep, just a dropped storyline. What happened to Magdaer? Malyck's probably wielding it. 🥴

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Dead NPCs cannot be revived. They're just dead.

You'll note that sometimes you can revive NPCs, and sometimes you cannot. When you can, they're not dead. Canonically, resurrection magic has ceased to function sometime between GW1 and GW2, on the closer end to GW1 as it wasn't a possible thing even during Sea of Sorrows novel.

27 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

To be fair, there was that bizarre change a while ago where you'd see a prompt saying "revive" when you went to help a downed NPC or player...and it got changed to "resurrect." For some inexplicable reason.

Yeah, still not a fan of that change. I understand the need to differentiate but there are other words to use that don't conflate and contradict lore - like "resuscitate".  Even starts with an R too! Rescue and Save also work but they're more boring sounding.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:59 PM, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

In 1325 AE, Eir Stegalkin retrieved Magdaer from the Ascalonian Catacombs, intending to have it reforged for Logan Thackeray. The sword has not been seen since.

because Eir is dead, she sent it off to be reforged/repaired...

why is this a cutoff for story?! WE NEED CLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANET WHY WHY WHY?!?!

Malyck took it with him

On 9/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, Batel.9206 said:

Yeah I noticed this as well, and really thought it was quite an extreme change considering there's no official explanation for it. It always made more sense to me that when we rub the ground next to downed players and NPCs, we're actually performing some form of CPR to 'reactivate' a body that is not beyond saving.

To put it another way, I always saw reviving as more like jump-starting a car that was otherwise fully capable of functioning, while 'resurrection' would refer to taking a thoroughly wrecked car into the shop to have a proper mechanic replace parts/make repairs to restore functionality. Any driver with some cables and a suitable power supply can perform a jump start, whereas 'resurrecting' a dead car requires specialized training and parts - not something just anyone can do almost bare-handed on the side of the road.

As for Magdaer, it would have been nice to have it show up in the Wizard's Tower. However, I think one of the best things about SotO is that because they made the Wizards enough of a full on organization as they have, if they wanted to, I could easily see them releasing a side quest where someone figures out where Magdaer might be and we go off to find it and add it into the Vault.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Yeah I noticed this as well, and really thought it was quite an extreme change considering there's no official explanation for it. It always made more sense to me that when we rub the ground next to downed players and NPCs, we're actually performing some form of CPR to 'reactivate' a body that is not beyond saving.

To put it another way, I always saw reviving as more like jump-starting a car that was otherwise fully capable of functioning, while 'resurrection' would refer to taking a thoroughly wrecked car into the shop to have a proper mechanic replace parts/make repairs to restore functionality. Any driver with some cables and a suitable power supply can perform a jump start, whereas 'resurrecting' a dead car requires specialized training and parts - not something just anyone can do almost bare-handed on the side of the road.

As for Magdaer, it would have been nice to have it show up in the Wizard's Tower. However, I think one of the best things about SotO is that because they made the Wizards enough of a full on organization as they have, if they wanted to, I could easily see them releasing a side quest where someone figures out where Magdaer might be and we go off to find it and add it into the Vault.

If they add it to the vault they are gonna HAVE to make it better looking than the Fiery Dragon sword because they are similar duplicates of soothing and magdaer. Maybe make it more intricate and burn brighter?

• Confused 1