What to do at lvl 80

Tanuki.4603

I don't know what to do anymore, I visited every map but sometimes the heart areas are too annoying to complete, i did the story missions but i can't beat "Hearts and minds", the cyclops guy throws the rocks on me and they kill me everytime i try. Im just gettign frustrated, and there is not much more to do. Is there all there is to this game.

• Confused 4

The first question: how much of the game do you own? HoT is only the 1st expansion, there are 3 more and also LS1-5. And you can skip story, e.g. from your current final HoT mission to PoF or LS3.

There is also group content:

• 8 dungeons each with 4 different path
  • 100 fractals (20 doable without further requirements)
  • Strike missions

Hearts are the boring parts of maps much more interesting are the events and (meta-)event-chains, that occur at fixed (-> /wiki et in chat) or random times.

You can also use the LFG (or join a guild) to ask for help with your story. I am not aware that there are Cyclops in "Hearts and minds".

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1

Here's another topic where players are listing things to do at level 80 (don't be put off by the first post, the OP hasn't updated the list with all the other suggestions yet): https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/137670-what-can-you-do-at-max-level-list

If you want to complete Hearts and Minds I recommend asking for help. All story missions are designed to be soloable but can also be played by up to 5 people at once and the other players don't need to be on the same story step to help you. You could ask your friends, your guild/s or if you can tell us which region you're in (NA or EU) and when you're likely to be online some of the people on this forum could help. That one is especially annoying to complete alone. It is possible, but it's much easier with other people.

But the game is not linear, you don't have to complete the HoT story before moving on to other things if you don't want to. You could just swap to the next part of the story (Season 3 if you have it, or Path of Fire) or go and do anything else which interests you. If you're not sure what you want to do you could try using the Character Adventure Guide achievements and/or the  Wizards Vault to give you some ideas of things to try. Look up the tasks in the Wiki if you're not sure what they are, try them out and you might find some things you like doing and want to stick with. Or try looking through the LFG tool to see what players are organising groups for, ask your guilds what they're doing and if they have space for an extra person.

Alternatively if nothing really appeals to you right now you could take a break from the game and play something else instead. Come back when you do feel like playing GW2 again and then focus on whatever it is that made you want to come back - whatever things you imagined doing and thought would be fun.

2 hours ago, Tanuki.4603 said:

I don't know what to do anymore, I visited every map but sometimes the heart areas are too annoying to complete, i did the story missions but i can't beat "Hearts and minds", the cyclops guy throws the rocks on me and they kill me everytime i try. Im just gettign frustrated, and there is not much more to do. Is there all there is to this game.

The very first thing you should do is get your character with full exotic gear and pick attributes that are focused on one thing; either go condition for condition damage (and use Vitality for increasing your HP) or go Power (here Vitality is also helpful as a fourth attribute).

Duration in form of Expertise for Condition duration isn't only making condition on target last longer (give more time to tick), but also increase you defensive condition in form of Blind, Weakness etc (condition that doesn't do damage, but have control abilities or crowd control (soft CC) also increase in duration on target. Concentration increase time for boons the same way (boons can increase base damage like Might or increase duration of Aegis (block on hit; much the same way Blind would do on target) just to mention some example of boons.

Please read up about condition and boons from links here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

___

Condition can also be talked about as condition damage where the main focus is on the damage each tick does on target. For Power we use Strike Damage instead which means how much damage each hit will do from power (which also will depend on attribute Precision and Ferocity - those two can increase - spike - damage from Power).

Most skills in this game have a component of Power (do some kind of Strike damage) and Condition, so even a Power based build will have access to condition and a pure condition build still have some strike damage or access to hard CC.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations
(Use filter to see what option you have depending on what your goal is)

Start to farm Ascended Rings (need two), Accessories (need two), Back Pack (need one), and Amulet (one).

If you have Living World Season 3: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns#Living_World_Season_3

They you can farm those items and buy those in each map (Bloodstone Fen also make it possible to purchase an item which you can use to reset attributes on those items purchased from this vendor: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar_Rakka#vendor3)

You can change look from Wardrobe if you don't like the look on Back Pack and want to replace it with another skin that you have unlocked.

All LW3 maps have a Unbound Magic vendor where you can farm the maps currency and UM (you also get UM from killing NPC on those maps).

Here is a full list of Selectable Ascended Trinkets: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket#Trinkets_with_selectable_prefixes

(You need to right click on that item when you have it in Inventory and use Customise as to select what attributes you want to have on your ring, accessory, back pack or any other item that you can select attributes on).

Laurel vendor is also an option, but I would save that to only buy Infusion when you need it.

I would recommend that you purchase Karma Infusion (which you use on Amulet) - Laurel Vendor in PvE maps and Lounges sell Karma Infusion with +15%, in WvW Laurel vendor sell either WvW Track Infusion +5% WvW reward track gain or WXP Infusion  +10% WvW Experience (WXP increase how fast you unlock WXP skills like Warclaw, Gliding and WXP based skills and ability which you can find WvW Panel). WVW Track is for how fast you gain in WvW Tracks which also can be found in WvW Panel (you pick a track to get certain rewards like Dungeons, Festival or PvE maps even when you only play WvW).

I would suggest to get two amulet if you play both WvW and PvE and change amulet when you go to that game mode to get that increase in Karma or WvW/WXP from Infusion as Infusion cost a bit in Laurel (remember that Ascended gear including Trinkets like Amulet are account bound which means you can move it to another character, but to sell it or move it to another account). So if you a low on Laurel, you can create another character and move those Ascended items to that character (need to be level 80) until you decide to craft a new set of exotic (will be soulbound when you equip it on your character) or craft Ascended gear with attributes that work better for that build (you can also reset attributes in Mystic Fontain, but you will loose all upgrades including Infusions - read on GW2 wiki about how to do that and what is needed).

As for Story content which you have trouble with, you know that you can ask for help and invite another player to finish that content?

Just make sure you are the one that enter first when you stat that Story Instance when you have created a Party to get credit for when you and your group kill final boss for achievements.

You can also repeat all story content if you can't get all achievements done the first round or if other in your Party also need to get credit for achievements or rewards.

In case you still solo Story content, know that sometimes even when you would die that if there is any allied NPC alive that they might resurrect you if you wait long enough (don't use that pop up with option to go to check point or restart instance- sometimes it is best just to wait) and sometimes it is best to use log out and log in again if Story Instance have some kind of bug or you need to continue without restarting Instance, instead of leaving Instance.

When you have finished Story (got the last pop up window where you can see your reward) and it is time to leave your story instance, then it can save you some time by using the arrow to lower right corner instead of walking to that green symbol to leave.

Just make sure there isn't something that you can do like talk to NPC or finding objects related to achievements before you leave instance. Check on GW2 wiki for achievements before you start and before you would leave in case there are things that can be done after main story have progressed to next step (search by story instance name and you should be able to see most achievements and tips related to that Instance).

___

I have left out combo fields and finisher here in this post to not make it too overloaded with information, but it is also necessary to understand those things as those are also part of Wizard's Vault PvE task sometimes, so use GW2 wiki to learn more when you need it.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Here's another topic where players are listing things to do at level 80 (don't be put off by the first post, the OP hasn't updated the list with all the other suggestions yet): https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/137670-what-can-you-do-at-max-level-list

If you want to complete Hearts and Minds I recommend asking for help. All story missions are designed to be soloable but can also be played by up to 5 people at once and the other players don't need to be on the same story step to help you. You could ask your friends, your guild/s or if you can tell us which region you're in (NA or EU) and when you're likely to be online some of the people on this forum could help. That one is especially annoying to complete alone. It is possible, but it's much easier with other people.

But the game is not linear, you don't have to complete the HoT story before moving on to other things if you don't want to. You could just swap to the next part of the story (Season 3 if you have it, or Path of Fire) or go and do anything else which interests you. If you're not sure what you want to do you could try using the Character Adventure Guide achievements and/or the  Wizards Vault to give you some ideas of things to try. Look up the tasks in the Wiki if you're not sure what they are, try them out and you might find some things you like doing and want to stick with. Or try looking through the LFG tool to see what players are organising groups for, ask your guilds what they're doing and if they have space for an extra person.

Alternatively if nothing really appeals to you right now you could take a break from the game and play something else instead. Come back when you do feel like playing GW2 again and then focus on whatever it is that made you want to come back - whatever things you imagined doing and thought would be fun.

You are correct to some degree that are player doesn't need to follow a linear path for maps and story, but there are still important to know that when you do Mastery Tracks that you need to be on those maps those Mastery Tracks unlocks and to gain XP for that track to unlock next level of that track and very often Story unlocks some Mastery points and also explains how to use abilities so jumping around too much between expansion maps or core maps can cause confusion on what one need for that map.

Heart of Thrones did introduce Gliding and Mushroom which is also useful on other maps. Depending on what expansion and Living World season @Tanuki.4603 have access to it also might be faster to unlock base mounts like Raptor and Skyscale (if @Tanuki.4603 have bought Secretes of The Obscure  for the faster paths to unlock Skyscale), but it is still a linear game to understand what is going on in PvE over world content and how to get around in maps.

Even with Skyscale and Griffon having unlocked Gliding might help when your mount start to loose health as you very fast get killed if you don't change mount (which you need to unlock from Mastery track) or go into Gliding and back to mount in air or land to get on land based mounts.

Fall damage reduction where removed for some time ago so Gliding (either from HoT or from SoTO) might be necessary to avoid to get killed too many times just from overstepping a cliff or use any teleport skill that might put your character too far over an edge when you still don't have any air based mounts unlocked to summon.

Mounts are also effected of in combat mode which means that when you are targeted by a hostile NPC you might not be able to summon a mount, but you can still Glide (and use stealth if you have unlocked that Mastery for Gliding).

6 hours ago, Tanuki.4603 said:

There is probably too much to do in this game to be honest.  You could open your Hero panel, look under the achievements and pick something that interests you.