Make Gift of Battle available in sPvP!

krazykid.2157

Hey all,

This is just an idea that I've heard bounced around between friends of mine but I really liked this idea. I, as a player, really enjoy playing sPvP gamemodes but really dislike playing WvW. It stinks that most legendaries require me to acquire a Gift of Battle and I am forced to do the PvP gamemode that I do not enjoy to achieve this. In my opinion getting a GoB should be available through both PvP gamemodes not just WvW.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

As someone that does WvW only I think this is a great idea as well! We get people in maps that either do the bare minimum or stand around with shared squad participation. Now I don’t think that is horrible if the game is gonna force you to do WvW when you don’t like it WvW (get yo bag bb), but it kinda hits 2 birds with one stone helps with queues, and real participation in WvW. Also provides proper content for the players to enjoy and not force their way through 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, illuminati.8453 said:

I get that people want options, but with the latest changes, I can tell you it only takes about 2 hours to get a GoB.  It is easier than ever. 

2 hours is a bit of a stretch. unless you are 10k ranked commander running 10+ squad with your server winning and you having all possible +reward track bonuses (xp booster, celebration booster, gobler, guild bonus, enrichment etc.) that 2h per GoB is not gonna happen.

3-4h is more realistic number, depending on player rank (still with all boosts).

but with that said, all the changes they made were indeed very nice, however it wouldnt hurt adding GoB to sPvP. sPvP already utilizes reward track system (that works exactly like WvW one) so that would not be something completly new.

infact when i started playing gw2 i was very surprised that sPvP doesnt have GoB, because i saw it as Gift of Battle i.e related to pvp (as in general). its not Gift o WvW after all...

i am all for adding GoB reward track to sPvP.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nimris.3781 said:

2 hours is a bit of a stretch. unless you are 10k ranked commander running 10+ squad with your server winning and you having all possible +reward track bonuses (xp booster, celebration booster, gobler, guild bonus, enrichment etc.) that 2h per GoB is not gonna happen.

3-4h is more realistic number, depending on player rank (still with all boosts).

Sorry, your right, I should have mentioned that the 2hr is with every reward track bonus available.  I WvW a lot, so I'm always running those.  But, I have definitely found it faster than it was before the latest xpac (with same bonuses).  

• Confused 1

I feel like the word "forced" is being easily thrown around nowadays. I remember the Macau Wings topic lol.

No one coerces anyone nor threatens anyone to get something in-game. It's completely optional (to have Legendary, hence cascading to getting GoB) and you can play the game without it.

With that being said, GW2 started with sPVP, PvE and WvW. I feel that to have a legendary, players must atleast try those game-modes.

You guys complain about classes being homogenized, but you're asking for game modes to be homogenized. 

It's literally in the name, Gift of "Battle". It's earned through battling in WvW, just like we have the Gift of Exploration, it's earned through exploring and it wouldn't make sense to be earned in another way. 

And if you think that will bring more people to sPvP, you're very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, jason.1083 said:

It's literally in the name, Gift of "Battle". It's earned through battling in WvW, just like we have the Gift of Exploration, it's earned through exploring and it wouldn't make sense to be earned in another way. 

definitely not "literally". Gift of Exploration has exploring literally in the name, but GoB is not called Gift of WvW.

Battle is general word and should be understood as "group fighting group". how is sPvP not a battle to you? small scale sure, but battle nonetheless. the same way WvW is pvp mode, just big scale where you cap entire structures instead of small capture points.

not to mentiont that sPvP utilizies the same reward track and league/skirmish system that WvW does...

so if anything i would make perfect sense to add GoB to sPvP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Nimris.3781 said:

definitely not "literally". Gift of Exploration has exploring literally in the name, but GoB is not called Gift of WvW.

Battle is general word and should be understood as "group fighting group". how is sPvP not a battle to you? small scale sure, but battle nonetheless. the same way WvW is pvp mode, just big scale where you cap entire structures instead of small capture points.

not to mentiont that sPvP utilizies the same reward track and league/skirmish system that WvW does...

so if anything i would make perfect sense to add GoB to sPvP.

They use a simmilar system but that doesn't mean stuff that has been exclusive to a game mode be available through another.

As others said, GoB is super easy to get, especially because of the way WvW works currently you can almost afk your way through the track.

It's always been a WvW thing, and there's no reason for it to change other than some people's personal bias against the mode.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

They use a simmilar system but that doesn't mean stuff that has been exclusive to a game mode be available through another.

As others said, GoB is super easy to get, especially because of the way WvW works currently you can almost afk your way through the track.

It's always been a WvW thing, and there's no reason for it to change other than some people's personal bias against the mode.

i am near ~700 wvw rank so i am definitley not biased against the mode. i enjoy both sPvP and WvW and from my perspective it doesnt make sense that one pvp mode has GoB and the other doesnt. both are pvp modes and both utilize the same reward system so it would make sense to have GoB in both.

you are just stubborn and deaf for any arguments, even if they make sense. its not about how easy it is to get, can be even 15 min per GoB and i would still say that objectively speaking it would make sense to add GoB to sPvP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, knives.6345 said:

I feel like the word "forced" is being easily thrown around nowadays. I remember the Macau Wings topic lol.

No one coerces anyone nor threatens anyone to get something in-game. It's completely optional (to have Legendary, hence cascading to getting GoB) and you can play the game without it.

With that being said, GW2 started with sPVP, PvE and WvW. I feel that to have a legendary, players must atleast try those game-modes.

I agree with the idea that players must try every game mode. And having a gob reward track in pvp will certainly help players to discover pvp. Because atm there's no need to go pvp. 

• Like 1

As it is a competitive battle, I probably wouldn’t be miffed if this change was implemented. That being said, y’all are crazy- WvW is the best mode in the game, seriously idk how people hate on it so much. I like PvE, too (PvP is meh, I like the 2v2s and 3v3s more than the regular), but WvW is a blast, I love playing different roles all the time 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WvW is a grinder for masochists. A pain to max out all the weekly chests. (Unless you maybe are rank 10k which is a painful grind as well - to get there.) PvP at least can be fun. (If it is normal season and not the braindead deathmatch mini season.)

I have always found it weird that you can get most stuff without doing PvP - but the gift requires WvW. Probably because more people "fear" PvP (while in WvW they can still hide in the zerg with nobody noticing that they are bad) ArenaNet did not decided to enforce PvP (making all compoments required from there being ones that you can buy at the TP).

Or maybe it is cause WvW is the worst game mode - needing more of a "push" ... with that gift?

Making this available in PvP as well (so people could decide between WvW and PvP - no excusive PvP requirement but people that wanted to play for fun could do the PvP instead of zerging around or capping a camp every 10 minutes in WvW - while being afk in between) would really be a good option.

The reasoning of jason is weird though. I bet if ArenaNet made the legendaries require something exclusive to PvP as well (which was not tradeable at the TP) - while keeping the GoB WvW only (so you could not skip out on PvP) ... he would complain as well. (Though then his wish would still have been respected. PvP just getting the same treatment: Getting players to have to play it.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

The reasoning of jason is weird though. I bet if ArenaNet made the legendaries require something exclusive to PvP as well (which was not tradeable at the TP) - while keeping the GoB WvW only (so you could not skip out on PvP) ... he would complain as well. (Though then his wish would still have been respected. PvP just getting the same treatment: Getting players to have to play it.)

I've played all 3 main content types, Rank 86 in PvP, Rank 1,400 in WvW and Mastery Rank 514 with 32,5k AP.

I'm not complaining about PvP, I'm giving you reasons why it's not a good idea to start making alternatives for everything, and the GoB being available through PvP, or the Wizards Vault as another post has suggested is included.

If there was a requirement of a PvP exclusive item to make most of these legendaries people would do it, but there isn't one.

And if GoB was available in both PvP and WvW most people would prefer WvW, and you all know that. So honestly isolated this idea wouldn't make much of a difference, but the next step would be to start making alternatives to everything else, because someone else can come out and say they want the WvW legendary armor, but they don't like WvW, so we should make skirmish tickets available through something else. Same for PvP and PvE. And that's what we want to avoid.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

And if GoB was available in both PvP and WvW most people would prefer WvW, and you all know that. So honestly isolated this idea wouldn't make much of a difference, but the next step would be to start making alternatives to everything else, because someone else can come out and say they want the WvW legendary armor, but they don't like WvW, so we should make skirmish tickets available through something else. Same for PvP and PvE. And that's what we want to avoid

very poor argument. WvW armor has alternatives, namely: pve armor from raids, pvp armor from pvp and soon we will have open world lege armor. GoB has no alternatives and is used in almost every legendary item.

infact this line of thinking suggest Anet should introduce alternative way to obtain GoB, because they introduced open world lege armor giving alternative way to have legendary set soo... yes they should do the same with GoB.

if most of the people would still stick to WvW, than whats the issue with giving more options?

• Like 1

Well ... that actually are reasons to make some changes here. PvP should not be treated to differently from WvW. Either make something exclusive there - that is required for legendary weapons (that can not be traded at the TP) ... or implement the suggestion made by OP. If you admit that it would not change that much ... this suggestion could be adopted.

The "the next step" is not a good reason against this. With that you can kill any suggestoin. There is no reason why they'd have to go for a next step. PvP and WvW are both competitive game modes. Makes sense to make the gift available through bouth ... while PvE as "next step" does not make sense.

Thought I already can see them making pure PvP only legendary weapons (as just another own set) - keeping the current requirements (without making any change - also no GoB through PvP change) but just making it possible to ignore the WvW and go for a totally different set of weapons. Would not be too suprirising if ArenaNet went that way. Given the other changes they have made so far. (Armor already easier now - no competitive game mode required. No raid required. Pure open world PvP enough.)

The legendary armor already has no own skin - afaik - for PvP/WvW. (Using the ascended skin that is a lot easier to obtain.) So ... the PvE legendary armor already is a good alternative here ... also bringing an own skin I think.

2 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

WvW is a grinder for masochists. A pain to max out all the weekly chests

To me it's like capture the flag. Where the flags are the keeps and the shiny castle. Towers and camps are snacks.
Nothing is more fun, to me, than 3 servers with full squads fighting for Stone Mist Castle, on both floors within the castle. PvP is nothing to that when you have to face 2 full squads that want nothing but your death. The movements, the pushes, the lures and pull backs, just to get the upper hand. A W E S O M E

The wvw weekly does itself just by playing. The tasks with effort would be walk 5 meters beside 10 dolyaks, get bored in 10 shires/monuments or some jp. Someone had pity with me today and ported me to the blue catmander and I could finish the sitting-in-a-box-my-warclaw achievement. Thank you weekly.

I dunno what to grind there. To me it is a game mode you only play when you have fun playing it because you don't get much out of it. There's the GoB, we are talking about here, but image some years ago there was wvw still part of the 100% exploration.

To me, Jumping Puzzles are for masochists, many achievements are for masochists (all those with 'repeat 100x ty').
And the unchallenged king of all quests for masochists is the classic Skyscale unlock torture.
I've done it twice.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1