New race idea: Lizard Charr

Gimli.9461

Is this a joke? Maybe! But maybe not! 🤔

Idea: A new race for a mini expansion. Lizard Charr. Think - charr body, but Skyrim Argonian skin/scales/hair/head shapes/knobs. 

Pros:

- Unlike Tengu, does not require a new 'skeleton' (sorry, I know nothing about animation 😄) . Since we already have charr, the idea is to remove fur, make the skin scaly, and add 'knobs' and customizable head features, think Argonian in elder scrolls. All armor that fits Charr should still conceivably fit this race. Animations do not change. Tail would become unchanged, just hairless.

- Color palette for the skin could be almost as rich as Sylvari's ; primary and secondary scales colors.

Possible origin in lore:

- Deep underground there are huge cities and locations we never explored, where various races could live having adapted; think Largos, Krait (in water spaces). Krait and Largos btw also could have their skin color different from those above ground due to temperatures being hotter. Charr made their way underground a very long time ago, and have adapted into Lizard Charr. 😄 

Commander:

- We have a new location - DND Underground style. Lizard Charr have Houses, like Largos. Your lvl 1 Lizard Charr has to have a new personal story lvl 1-30 (until you get sent to Lion's Arch). The TLDR of the story can be that you straight up get exhiled, or decide to leave. Unclear though how Orders would even hear about you? So maybe the story 20-30 has nothing to do with the orders, and then you 'apply' to one once you are banished above ground. Or somehow you run into Rytlock, befriend him, and he sends you off onto 20-30 Order story line.

Misc:

When you as Lizard Charr initiate dialogue with:

- Charr, they often will say: "By Khan-Ur, you're ugly", or "What's cooking, scale egg?" 

- Sylvari: "I've never seen a creature like you before. What are you?"

- Human: "AAAAAAAA! (runs away)"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

GW2 is painfully devoid of reptiles.

What about drakes? Are those amphibians to you? Dragons technically are reptiles, too. And there also are Krait, Naga and Kappa.

I probably missed some, but I think we have enough reptiles/reptile-based life forms in the game to safely say it's not devoid of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

What about drakes? Are those amphibians to you? Dragons technically are reptiles, too. And there also are Krait, Naga and Kappa.

I probably missed some, but I think we have enough reptiles/reptile-based life forms in the game to safely say it's not devoid of them.

I'm not talking about fantasy creatures. Where are the snakes? Crocodiles? There are many real life animals in Tyria, but when it comes to reptiles and (especially) amphibians there are practically none.

Besides, this whole new race thing is like flogging a dead horse. ANet doesn't have the resources to create a new race (with a slew of new faces, hairstyles, etc.) and retroactively make it work with every piece of armor in the game. If they ever get a bigger team and budget, maybe then. And even then it makes much more sense to pick one of the existing races than to create a whole new race and the lore needed to explain their existence.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Besides, this whole new race thing is like flogging a dead horse. ANet doesn't have the resources to create a new race (with a slew of new faces, hairstyles, etc.) and retroactively make it work with every piece of armor in the game.

The thread title of this specific idea could be taken literal though. They could theoretically give Charr scale-looking customizations.

This would not create a literal new playable race, but just give Charr different looks. This is no different from giving humans the Asian and African face options.

That aside, I don't think it'll ever happen. If they won't even fix that issue with the one Charr face having it's upper jaw fused to the lower jaw, I can't see them adding any more Charr customization.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The thread title of this specific idea could be taken literal though. They could theoretically give Charr scale-looking customizations.

This would not create a literal new playable race, but just give Charr different looks. This is no different from giving humans the Asian and African face options.

That aside, I don't think it'll ever happen. If they won't even fix that issue with the one Charr face having it's upper jaw fused to the lower jaw, I can't see them adding any more Charr customization.

There's a huge difference in a scaly, reptilian character and a furry cat-like one.... that's an entirely different species, not a pigment adaptation.  What did all their fur fall off?  That's a sphynx cat or mange, not a lizard underneath.  Eew.  

6 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I'm not talking about fantasy creatures. Where are the snakes? Crocodiles? There are many real life animals in Tyria, but when it comes to reptiles and (especially) amphibians there are practically none.

Besides, this whole new race thing is like flogging a dead horse. ANet doesn't have the resources to create a new race (with a slew of new faces, hairstyles, etc.) and retroactively make it work with every piece of armor in the game. If they ever get a bigger team and budget, maybe then. And even then it makes much more sense to pick one of the existing races than to create a whole new race and the lore needed to explain their existence.

Excuses: none!

Retroactive Armor: hide it! Like head gear and gloves (and footwear if you're incredibly lucky or rich). It's there, you just can't see it. Which should have been (and still could be, if they cared) done for charr anyway. Furry critters running around in clothes. Like (ugh) humans! Aiee! Probably sylvari, too. Surely they would just grow their own. Armor, clothes, what have you. But I digress.

Lore: invasive species. Same as humans.

Lizzid People: shout out to Hecklefish!