Relics

Bern.9613

So you've taken away the 6th bonus from runes. Meh, not really happy about that. It made runes unique and a thought process when figuring out a build but whatever. You replaced most of the 6th bonuses with relics (RIP 10% hp and golems). OK. But what was the thought process with making them soul bound on use? Account I can live with, soul bound is a tough pill to swallow. If I want to experiment with different relics, I would have an inventory full of them without the option of using it on another toon for another build. Why?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

they made it soulbound probably to make it a currency sink... costs only a few WvW currency to get those relics once u unlock them

50jadeheroics and 100badge of honor

look on the bright side.. u have extra customization now..

previously teh 6th bonus is tied to the runes itself.. and u wouldve wished what if we use the 6th bonus on a diferent rune... now its possible

with the exception of some being removed due to various reasons.. I trust anet on this part.. reasons could be to remove bugs, complications and unused/unpopular 6thbonus, Overpowered or broken....

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

They are/get Soulbound because they are of Exotic Rarity, which behaves that way. So I suppose the question rather is why are they Exotic? Are they planning some further gear progression and powercreep with Ascended Relics down the line (which then, in accordance with their Rarity, would just be Account Bound)? 

..or did they just make them Exotic because Superior Runes (and Sigil's) technically are (despite behaving differently, in that they make gear they are attached to Soulbound, rather than becoming so themselves), and didn't bother to think about the implication of that Rarity for what is essentially a Trinket Slot.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

They are/get Soulbound because they are of Exotic Rarity, which behaves that way. So I suppose the question rather is why are they Exotic? Are they planning some further gear progression and powercreep with Ascended Relics down the line (which then, in accordance with their Rarity, would just be Account Bound)? 

..or did they just make them Exotic because Superior Runes (and Sigil's) technically are (despite behaving differently, in that they make gear they are attached to Soulbound, rather than becoming so themselves), and didn't bother to think about the implication of that Rarity for what is essentially a Trinket Slot.

Considering there will be Legendary Relics I guess there will be Ascended ones as well before that that will be... fancier?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This bugs me, too, because I tend to make/delete a lot of alts. I could swap the same runes and sigils around with Black Lion Salvage Kits or use account-bound stuff to gear them up, and it was no big deal if I got bored and deleted them a few days later. With relics, I have to be pretty sure I’m keeping that character a while for it to be worth it.

They should definitely add some more alternate ways to buy them, if nothing else. Add some to the laurel vendor, where we get some ascended trinkets already, and/or make them a regular option in the Wizard’s Vault. Most of them offer fairly minor improvements, but can cost more than a full set of exotic armour on the TP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Considering there will be Legendary Relics I guess there will be Ascended ones as well before that that will be... fancier?

Maybe not.  Legendary relics were an after-thought when people complained about losing one of the benefits of Legendary Runes, being able to switch between different sets, sometimes for the unique 6th slot benefit.  There are no Ascended Runes (or Sigils).  Bet on ANet to replicate that switchable function with Legendary Relics, rather than making the extra effort to design another tier of relics.  This may not be a bad thing, though, as "better" relics would mean more power creep.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

This bugs me, too, because I tend to make/delete a lot of alts. I could swap the same runes and sigils around with Black Lion Salvage Kits or use account-bound stuff to gear them up, and it was no big deal if I got bored and deleted them a few days later. With relics, I have to be pretty sure I’m keeping that character a while for it to be worth it.

They should definitely add some more alternate ways to buy them, if nothing else. Add some to the laurel vendor, where we get some ascended trinkets already, and/or make them a regular option in the Wizard’s Vault. Most of them offer fairly minor improvements, but can cost more than a full set of exotic armour on the TP.

They can be crafted, although they share materials with legendary runes and sigils. I've got a feeling that the legendary relic is going to cause trouble for the normal relics, if they share common materials with no alternatives to obtain them. They should consider adding alternative sources of relics in the future if not now.

10 hours ago, Bern.9613 said:

So you've taken away the 6th bonus from runes. Meh, not really happy about that. It made runes unique and a thought process when figuring out a build but whatever. You replaced most of the 6th bonuses with relics (RIP 10% hp and golems). OK. But what was the thought process with making them soul bound on use? Account I can live with, soul bound is a tough pill to swallow. If I want to experiment with different relics, I would have an inventory full of them without the option of using it on another toon for another build. Why?

Because, again, other considerations trumped useability of the new idea. In templates case it was monetization. In Relics case it was desire to make players grind/pay again for what they've already had before. So, obviously, having relics account bound would reduce the cost/need for grind. And that would be bad, we don't want players having it too easy, or QoL addition actually improving things for them, right?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sansar.1302 said:

But the effects we got are so lacking compared to what we had 

if by effects, u mean the 6th bonus on rune.. I think anet might release new relics for upcoming map and also the current relics have some cool utility and also some cool looking graphical visual effects too.. cerus relic spawns cerus eye and does a full rotation and corrupts boons.. mabon relic, isgarren relic, speed relic,...

21 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

if by effects, u mean the 6th bonus on rune.. I think anet might release new relics for upcoming map and also the current relics have some cool utility and also some cool looking graphical visual effects too.. cerus relic spawns cerus eye and does a full rotation and corrupts boons.. mabon relic, isgarren relic, speed relic,...

But most of them like cerus are on elite skill usage with is super boring