Returning player experience has been terrible so far

Last played 11 years ago.

Log in to my main and get bombarded with items from my mail instantly filling my inventory up, i don't know what 80% of this stuff does. Bank space costs $, more bag slots cost $, i have like 20 gold and already had 10 slot bags so couldn't buy bigger bags. There's pop up's all over the screen telling me to buy things, skill and talent change alerts, daily wizard vault objectives, no "hey welcome back this is what you should do"

Guess ill just make a new character.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sweenisbar.9082 said:

Log in to my main and get bombarded with items from my mail instantly filling my inventory up, i don't know what 80% of this stuff does. Bank space costs $, more bag slots cost $, i have like 20 gold and already had 10 slot bags so couldn't buy bigger bags. There's pop up's all over the screen telling me to buy things, skill and talent change alerts, daily wizard vault objectives, no "hey welcome back this is what you should do"

Making a new character is a good idea. That's what I do when I come back to any game after a long break. You don't have to give up on your existing characters or play the new one all the way through to level 80 but starting with the basics is a good way to re-learn the game without being overwhelmed with too much stuff.

Also if you're ever not sure what an item does or what to do with it you can use the Wiki to find out. For now I recommend leaving all the birthday presents and other containers as they are, because they'll open into more items, but when you're feeling ready there's some useful items in there, and a lot of them are dyes, weapon and armour skins and other things which can go into the wardrobe so they don't take up any space but are available as and when you want them.

One thing to be aware of is that the game is almost never going to give you clear messaging about the one thing you should be doing next, because it doesn't work like that. From the point you get out the tutorial you have choices, and you get more choices as you level up and more of the game becomes available to you. There will be suggestions of things you could do - the Character Adventure Guide achievements are a good starting point for an overview of PvE. But the game is never going to decide for you what to do next.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sweenisbar.9082 said:

What did you expect after 11 (!) years?

Check this link, it might help with the birthday gifts: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

If you're on a US server, I can help you go through stuff, particularly if you're willing to jump into discord, so I don't have to type. This way you can stream what you're doing and I can give you real time advice. Message me if you want, and we can set up a time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm confused - how long has it been since you have played...

Edit: somehow I skipped past where OP said 11 years - OP would do well to answer most of their questions with that single fact..

And can we see a screenshot example of the pop ups asking you to buy stuff...

Edited by Jianyu.7065

4 minutes ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

I'm confused - how long has it been since you have played...

Edit: somehow I skipped past where OP said 11 years - OP would do well to answer most of their questions with that single fact..

Well if they have not bought some of the expansion they do pop up each time you login on the lower right side of screen as a reminder.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well if they have not bought some of the expansion they do pop up each time you login on the lower right side of screen as a reminder.

On my alt accounts they don't come up every time I log in, but it's at least the first login after each expansion is released, sometimes when they're discounted and occasionally at other times.

34 minutes ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

I don't have a screenshot but it's a little expansion logo in the bottom right corner where bouncy chests appear and clicking on it brings up a window in the middle of the screen advertising the expansion with a button to click to go to the purchase page. Basically the same thing as when a new living world episode comes out, but instead of a green star it's an expansion logo.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sweenisbar.9082 said:

Your characters get birthday presents each year since their creation date (so deleting your oldest one is a bad idea). At this point, you guessed correctly: just make a new character, play with it, read the pop ups while you level up and maybe take care of the spammed up one over time. 

Edited by Sobx.1758

I do think they overdo the pop ups and tooltips and notifications to be fair. I’m not sure what the answer is mind you. It’s difficult after 11 years given the game has changed a lot  and added so much. 

Starting afresh was the correct way forward, but don’t delete your old character so you still get birthday gifts on them

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:40 PM, Sweenisbar.9082 said:

Thanks to the people that actually made a non sarcastic/passive aggressive response, and to the one guy that sent me bags. I decided not to uninstall and made a new character. 

You got snarky/passive aggressive responses because your own post's tone is passive aggressive and frankly boomer-esque lol especially the title. Just so you know 👍🏻

Maybe try something like "returning player after 11 years; need help getting back into the game" followed by questions, rather than "HoRrIbLe UsEr eXpEriEnCe" followed by a melodramatic list of complaints that have menial solutions.

Welcome back to the game 👍🏻 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Even as a new player the amount of trash loot the game throws at you, then confusingly labels as a trophy making you think it should be kept and then paywalls expansion of inventory does rub you the wrong way for sure! More used to it now since I am playing about 18 months at this point yet I still find it a bit annoying the amount of garbage the game bloats you with and the inventory management that comes along with it. But I tend to now spend a couple minutes sorting my inventory at the end of each play session. 

I can easily see how logging on after a long hiatus can be overwhelming, but you for sure made a boo boo taking all those birthday gifts at once! And all those little exclamation marks and pop ups for purchasing will surely be overwhelming alongside a messy inventory. Glad someone sent you some bags, I think making a new character and playing through to relearn the game is a lovely idea. Have fun! 

They certainly could improve the experience for returners. Honestly removing 'trophy' tag from garbage that can be safely sold would be a nice start. Some quest item things that you get multiple of I was never sure if I could chuck it or would regret it. The game doesn't tell you and it all clogs your inventory so quickly. 

When you come back to any game you just wanna play, not play inventory management sim and checking the wiki for what is safe to vendor and what isn't. I really love and appreciate the wiki and the peepos who maintain it! But I still very much dislike how little the game itself provides information on certain things. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1