Weekly Rift Hunting rotation (Merged)

Could someone look into Weekly Rift Hunting rotation since it is working rather strange imo. If it is a rotation (cycle) after all ofcourse.

Until now we had following sets including Amnytas, Skyreach and 3 other explorable zones not associated with Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure:

Aug 22 - 27: Echovald Wilds, Thunderhead, Timberline (SET #1)

Aug 28 - Sept 3: Domain of Istan, Elon Riverlands, Straits of Devastation (SET #2)

Sept 4 - Sept 10: Sandswept Isles, Sparkfly Fen, Tangled Depths (SET #3)

Sept 11 - Sept 17: Bloodtide Coast, Domain of Vabbi, Lake Doric (SET #4)

Sept 18 - Sept 24: Southsun Cove, Crystal Oasis, Cursed Shore (SET #5)

Sept 25 - Sept 26: Domain of Vabbi, Lake Doric, Mount Maelstrom (SET #6 - which is mostly SET #4+MM)

Sept 26 - Oct 1: Bitterfrost, Iron Marches, Verdant Brink (SET #7 - new one)

Sept 2 - Oct 8:  Crystal Oasis, Cursed Shore, Southsun Cove (SET #5 again?)

Oct 9 - Oct 15: Domain of Vabbi, Lake Doric, Mount Maelstrom (SET #6 again?)

So 3 questions:

First: Is it rotation or sets/maps are just randomly used each week? Looks these are sets but rotation seems flawed somehow.

Second: Where is the place for new added maps: Ember Bay, Seitung Province, Frostgorge Sound (SET #8?)

Third: When (if at all) the cycle restarts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since the introduction of the new maps for weekly rift hunting it seems like the Weekly Rift Hunting is just repeating the same selection without offering different maps.

I'm not sure how the weekly rift maps are chosen, but last weeks and this weeks combination has appeared multiple times before and I am still missing half of the possible rift hunting achievements (I missed the first couple of weeks of rift hunting). It seems like something is not quite right and there needs to be a better way of choosing these maps.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

You do know that not everyting needs to be done right away?

While that's true, the rotation appeared to be covering different maps from the achievement list until last week when there was a bug that caused all credit to go toward mount maelstrom (which wasn't part of the selection).  I'm not sure if there is any relation to that bug, but after that point it appeared to stop selecting new maps from the list.

1 hour ago, Yogurt Goblin.5934 said:

Since the introduction of the new maps for weekly rift hunting it seems like the Weekly Rift Hunting is just repeating the same selection without offering different maps.

I'm not sure how the weekly rift maps are chosen, but last weeks and this weeks combination has appeared multiple times before and I am still missing half of the possible rift hunting achievements (I missed the first couple of weeks of rift hunting). It seems like something is not quite right and there needs to be a better way of choosing these maps.

The selection of maps outside of SoTO maps when one use Scan for Rifts seem to be the same as the other week (or even from the same we had from start when SoTO where launched).

It is something strange going on here as I would expect that more and more maps that isn't SoTO maps should have Rift to hunt down as there is a long list of achievements related to that and we are already down almost 2 month out of 3 before next part of SoTO expansion will be released.

At first it seemed like they wanted to include one expansion map, one living world seasonal map and one core map - but that would have ended with some left overs. (Having to fill up the last "set" with a different map or putting the first map from the first set into it again.)

Already when they introduced the new maps ... there was the problem with ... I think the Mount Maelstrom one being the last of the old/first maps. People that did this early could got the title quickly. Then they messed up. Instead of keeping the rotation and rotatign the new ones in with the following week ... Mount Maelstrom got unavailable.

Honestly: I also found it weird that the week after we had old stuff ... from the middle of the cycla that did not happen too long ago - while still having to wait for the 3 last ones. They should add enough maps (if needed) so they can always bring 1 core, 1 expansion map and one seasonal map. But I' am not sure about the SotO ones yet.

They might add a rotation there as well - if the last map gets introduced. (If that also has rifts. Maybe not - if i is in the other realm where the Kryptis are from.)

• Forum Moderator.5907 changed the title to Weekly Rift Hunting rotation (Merged)
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tusik.9485 said:

So this week we again get Sparkly Fen, Tangled Depths and Sandswept Isles which were available during 30.10 - 5.11 week. When we can expect any of new 11 maps to be available in the rotation?

It goes through all of the sets in a random order, then restarts. Problem is, when they add to it, it restarts. The new ones should occur within the next 8 weeks, or it's bugged and they're not actually in the rotation.

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

It goes through all of the sets in a random order, then restarts. Problem is, when they add to it, it restarts. The new ones should occur within the next 8 weeks, or it's bugged and they're not actually in the rotation.

I doubt there is any randomization here and I bet next week there will be Amnytas, Skywatch, Inney Nayos, Bloodtide Coast, Domain of Vabbi, Lake Doric and their rotation is just flawed. God I hope I'm wrong...

13 hours ago, banshee.9328 said:

I doubt there is any randomization here and I bet next week there will be Amnytas, Skywatch, Inney Nayos, Bloodtide Coast, Domain of Vabbi, Lake Doric and their rotation is just flawed. God I hope I'm wrong...

It's definitely not random, it's just been shifting whenever they've added more. I'm guessing they're inserting the new ones into the order rather than adding them to the end. For example, if at the end of this week they inserted 1 new set on top, the current week would repeat, as it would shift by 1 week, becoming the next week.

When they added set 7 and 8, set 7 replaced week 6, then for week 7+ it went set 5, 6, then reset back to 1. This makes sense if set 7 and 8 were inserted before set 6, with set 7 being the new 6, and considering how it has gone, set 8 is 5. With the new release, it went from set 4 to 2, so 2 of the new sets were inserted before set 2.

Next week is bloodtide, then after that should be frostgorge. The newest sets are all going to be last, and since there's 2 extras, the duplicates in the maelstrom (or bloodtide) set will be replaced.

-

After rechecking this, they're simply adding the new ones to end of the list, it's just a side effect of how it's indexed (week in time % number of sets). Cursed Shore is actually the first set in the list, which is why it looked like the new additions were inserted before it.

You can calculate it by going (2 + # of weeks since rifts were added) % (number of sets). For example, the first week was (2+0)%6=2, the 6th week was (2+5)%6=1, then 2 were added, so the 6th week became (2+5)%8=7. The current order is 0:[Cursed Shore], 1:[Maelstrom], 2:[Timberline], 3:[Straits], 4:[Sparkfly], 5:[Bloodtide], 6:[Frostgorge], 7:[Iron Marches], 8:[Desert Highlands]*, 9:[Auric Basin]*

Considering Bloodtide was actually last instead of Maelstrom, next week may see the duplicates in Bloodtide replaced with 2 of the new ones, so the next 3 weeks will complete all of the unseen ones.

Edited by Healix.5819