anyone else take long brakes?

trunks.5249

I started playing shortly after launch. Played to like lvl 40 or 50. Game didn't relaly grab me

Was also waiting for Torchlight II back then, so when that released I stopped playing GW2

Returned to GW2 like 6 months later I tihnk. This time I played for about 1.5 years for like 3-4 thousand hours. This is the period I've played the game the most

Shortly before HoT I stopped playing. Returned again shortly before PoF expansion launch

Then ever since then I've returned and left again many times. Usually play for a month or 2 and take a break

I returned in July this year. Last time I played before that was right before EoD launch

I seem to leave the game right before expanion launched for some reason xD I was there for PoF and SOTO launch though

This time I've clocked the hours on steam. I've almost played 1k hours since July. So this year have been one of my most played GW2 years

I have like 8k hours total

Edit: 

BTW, I must say

GW2 is very good for this playstyle

You can take a break and return with no problems

And you wont feel the content draught as badly as people who play the game daily 

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1

This is super normal (and healthy) for all online games. Taking time away helps you feel like you're not wasting your time doing something you're not really enjoying, and when you get the itch to come back, it feels really fun again. I come and go from GW2 (and several other games) all the time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 4:51 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Dante said they come back for 2-3 months every year or so, I doubt they've spent a lot of time doing meta events, especially the ones that require figuring out the map timing and coordinating groups (which IMO are the most interesting). Also looking at their post history their current 'return' seems to be finding all the vaguely negative topics in the forum to post comments like this. I think they've realised they don't actually enjoy this game and are trying to convince themselves to cut ties completely, whether the objections make sense or not.

wow you are way off the mark. i have been playing this game since it came out. i go to forums to talk about problems. the fact is in the first few months i played everything this game had to offer at that time played so much it got old then i come back for months at a time every time something new comes out. there are a lot of other games i like to play and new releases. also been playing a lot of star trek online for the last few months i do the same thing with that one. now i will be dropping that one for a bit and about to come back to guild wars 2

36 minutes ago, trunks.5249 said:

wow you are way off the mark. i have been playing this game since it came out. i go to forums to talk about problems. the fact is in the first few months i played everything this game had to offer at that time played so much it got old then i come back for months at a time every time something new comes out. there are a lot of other games i like to play and new releases. also been playing a lot of star trek online for the last few months i do the same thing with that one. now i will be dropping that one for a bit and about to come back to guild wars 2

You are also not called Dante and therefore not the person that post was about.

It was part of a chain of responses to this post, but for some reason the forum doesn't allow nested quotes so chains don't stay together:

On 11/5/2023 at 2:13 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Yes usually about a year or so.. Play for about 2-3 months then i'm gone again.. There is so little open world content i give up. Currently on a break now haven't logged in since relics were shown.. i'll probably come back at the final release of Soto.. But honestly it looks a mess at this time so who knows..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

You are also not called Dante and therefore not the person that post was about.

It was part of a chain of responses to this post, but for some reason the forum doesn't allow nested quotes so chains don't stay together:

i am so sorry about that i apologize 

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, trunks.5249 said:

i logged in to do some events and couldn't wait to log off .for some reason for a couple of months i cant get enough. then slowly i cant bring myself to log in. then i do not touch the game for5-6 months. then i cant get enough all over again. am i crazy or do you guys do this has well?

That's Sims 4 for me.

I play like obsessed for about 2-3 months and then suddenly lose interest and don't touch it for a year or so.

As for GW2, I belong to those who had a break for years (like 7). Been playing for 3 years again and not bored yet. And no boredom in sight.

Ive taken a few breaks when put off by the quality of the writing, or when starting a new TTRPG campaign that requires a larger than normal time investment to get rolling. Since I switched to WvW as my primary game mode (again due to the writing in PvE) there have been fewer breaks.