Upcoming Jaguar change

jaif.3518

• Stalk (Jaguar): Reduced the cooldown from 24 seconds to 20 seconds. This skill now applies stealth rather than the Stalking effect. Damage bonuses from this skill still last 6 seconds, even if the pet is revealed.

Sorry, i'm feeling a bit dense.  Is "stealth" vs "stalking" effectively a nerf?  It sounds like they want to make sure someone can reveal the Jaguar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jaif.3518 said:
  • Stalk (Jaguar): Reduced the cooldown from 24 seconds to 20 seconds. This skill now applies stealth rather than the Stalking effect. Damage bonuses from this skill still last 6 seconds, even if the pet is revealed.

Sorry, i'm feeling a bit dense.  Is "stealth" vs "stalking" effectively a nerf?  It sounds like they want to make sure someone can reveal the Jaguar.

Mostly a nerf. You can't reveal the 'Stalking' effect so it was an effective uncounterable stealth burst attack in PvP. But even there it was very niche. Not many people were using it except clever and tippy top end players to trip people up. The change means it can be revealed but now it has a shorter CD and the damage bonus doesn't go away even if it attacks/gets revealed.

Nothing much changes. It'll be slightly less effective in PvP but still mess with people who can't handle stealth. I've never seen it get much use in PvE. You have until the end of the month to go mess with people with how it works now, if you feel like it.

1 hour ago, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Not many people were using it except clever and tippy top end players to trip people up.

I'd love to see vids of that.

Every once in awhile I load up on beastie traits and head out to wvw land to see what I can do with the Jaguar (and others).  I think the best I've seen in recent memory was a 6k hit, and of course that's meaningless unless it's the last one as everybody has 42,000,000 escapes. 🙂

I hadn't thought it would be used in PvP, I'll do some searches.

5 hours ago, jaif.3518 said:

I'd love to see vids of that.

If people went about doing that it'd have been nerfed much sooner I'd imagine and likely with nothing to show for it over what we're getting with the pet update. Sometimes keeping quiet is the best move. It's really not that impressive but a lot of people lose their minds over stealth in general.

13 hours ago, jaif.3518 said:

So with stalk, if I remember correctly, the Jaguar remains invisible all throughout the duration even while attacking. The new Jaguar will stealth, as soon as the first attack lands, it will exit stealth.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:17 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

If people went about doing that it'd have been nerfed much sooner I'd imagine and likely with nothing to show for it over what we're getting with the pet update. Sometimes keeping quiet is the best move. It's really not that impressive but a lot of people lose their minds over stealth in general.

You really believe that kitten? That just because there is a video of someone using a kitten stealth pet attack that it would get nerfed?? lol gtfo

....Ive been playing mmos for more than 20 yrs....and that idea has never been true. Oh its repeated all the fking time but its not true. The people that balance these games, wheover they are and whatever game that happens to be, have never known wtf they are doing. Never. Ever. Any mmo, ever. Everquest, WoW, DAOC, Warhammer, SWG, Shadowbane, AoC, Lineage, Asherons call, Gw1, AION. Nothing we do or say matters.

On 11/2/2023 at 1:59 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

You have until the end of the month to go mess with people with how it works now, if you feel like it.

Profession Skills

Ranger

• Stalker's Strike: Increased the cooldown from 12 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP only.

Guess you all took that to heart, huh? 😉

Edited by CETheLucid.3964
typos
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Mostly a nerf. You can't reveal the 'Stalking' effect so it was an effective uncounterable stealth burst attack in PvP. But even there it was very niche. Not many people were using it except clever and tippy top end players to trip people up. The change means it can be revealed but now it has a shorter CD and the damage bonus doesn't go away even if it attacks/gets revealed.

Nothing much changes. It'll be slightly less effective in PvP but still mess with people who can't handle stealth. I've never seen it get much use in PvE. You have until the end of the month to go mess with people with how it works now, if you feel like it.

I'm probably going to see how it interacts with Sic'em, might not be much but it worth to see its Damage output go little higher than intended. It's also weird how like other pets that have a buff damage application like sharpening stone or spider venom can be applied through pets unleashed abilities so that another interaction to see if it actually increase the damage output or not.

12 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

I'm probably going to see how it interacts with Sic'em, might not be much but it worth to see its Damage output go little higher than intended. It's also weird how like other pets that have a buff damage application like sharpening stone or spider venom can be applied through pets unleashed abilities so that another interaction to see if it actually increase the damage output or not.

It won't interact differently with sic'em or unleashed pet skills (yes, those are affected by jaguar dmg buff) than it does now. The dmg buff isn't getting changed (according to the patch notes anyway). They are only changing the stealth (right now the pet remains invisible while attacking, in the future it will get revealed as soon it deals dmg).

On 11/12/2023 at 11:00 PM, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

It's a cat. It'll do good damage but it'll fold like a wet paper towel to a real person or any kind of AoE. I'm surprised I don't see them more in PvE honestly. They're a lot more manageable there. For jaguar in particular it'll be a nice stealth burst once in a while but bit of a one trick pony. Even more so than now.

Kind of wish it'd be a 15 sec CD and the damage bonus lasts 5 sec instead of 6. Nice and even. You know every 10 seconds or so it's coming. But that's wishful thinking on my part. Everyone hates stealth attacks. Many tears will reveal it and keep the CD high.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

It's a cat. It'll do good damage but it'll fold like a wet paper towel to a real person or any kind of AoE. I'm surprised I don't see them more in PvE honestly. They're a lot more manageable there. For jaguar in particular it'll be a nice stealth burst once in a while but bit of a one trick pony. Even more so than now.

Kind of wish it'd be a 15 sec CD and the damage bonus lasts 5 sec instead of 6. Nice and even. You know every 10 seconds or so it's coming. But that's wishful thinking on my part. Everyone hates stealth attacks. Many tears will reveal it and keep the CD high.

Why go Jag when you can just go cheetah? Savannah strike crits for 6k and easily connects. 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Guess you all took that to heart, huh? 😉

Probably preemptively nerf just because in case their favorites class mains start complain threads  in the forums. 

Jag wasn’t a great pet to begin with, most of felines aren’t for pvp. 
But you can expect the bugs to last years, How long did it take to get the quickness fixed on pets? Almost 12 years?

Let’s not talk about ranger getting 3 specializations and all of them being focused for  pve. 

On 11/19/2023 at 2:59 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Probably preemptively nerf just because in case their favorites class mains start complain threads  in the forums. 

Jag wasn’t a great pet to begin with, most of felines aren’t for pvp. 
But you can expect the bugs to last years, How long did it take to get the quickness fixed on pets? Almost 12 years?

Let’s not talk about ranger getting 3 specializations and all of them being focused for  pve. 

I agree seems to be a pre-emptive nerf especially with Quickness being applied to pets. 

Quickness Zephyr and Sic Em would be a crazy combo with permanent stealth.