Gf creating character on Full Server I've been on since 2012...

Crimthan.9308

Hi, 

Hope all is well and you've had yourselves an awesome Thanksgiving.

I've ready several topics that said Devs are working on this issue for friends, etc to play together in WvW though they're on different servers.
My main focus is WvW and has been since 2012.
The server my girlfriend needs to create a character on is FULL and I've been on it since 2012.
I'm not leaving the server.  She needs to be able to create a character to play with my friends, guild, and I for WvW.

Solution:
1. Is there a time when the server isn't full (midnight as I've heard?) so she can create the character then?
2. Has it been changed to where she could create a character on a different server yet do WvW with us?

Thank you.

No , there is no time that it is better to log in. Server fullness has nothing to do with how many people on on that server. It has to do with how active that server is in WvW. It doesn't change on the fly. The devs eventually review that data and update it, and there's no way to determine when that is.

There is no way to WvW with someone not on your server, except on WvW World Restructuring betas.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

All characters on an account are always on the same server. If your girlfriend already has an account she'd need to pay to transfer it to another server. If she doesn't have one yet she'll need to pick the right server when she first logs in, she can't just pick a random one then make a new character on a different one later on.

Server population is based on the number of people who have played WvW recently, not the number currently online, so there's no time of day when the population goes down. It does get adjusted periodically (possibly when matches reset) but there's no guarantee a full server will open up when that happens.

At the moment there's 2 temporary fixes: She can join a server linked to yours and then you'll be able to play together as long as they're linked, and she'll be able to play with you during the world restructuring beta early next year. The article about it says it will hopefully be the final beta, so some version of that system may be coming permanently relatively soon, but we don't know when.

15 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

All characters on an account are always on the same server. If your girlfriend already has an account she'd need to pay to transfer it to another server. If she doesn't have one yet she'll need to pick the right server when she first logs in, she can't just pick a random one then make a new character on a different one later on.

Server population is based on the number of people who have played WvW recently, not the number currently online, so there's no time of day when the population goes down. It does get adjusted periodically (possibly when matches reset) but there's no guarantee a full server will open up when that happens.

At the moment there's 2 temporary fixes: She can join a server linked to yours and then you'll be able to play together as long as they're linked, and she'll be able to play with you during the world restructuring beta early next year. The article about it says it will hopefully be the final beta, so some version of that system may be coming permanently relatively soon, but we don't know when.

Thanks for your response, and thank the others as well.

I appreciate options that you've brought up;
This doesn't really solve the issue though.  Both are limited fixes.  Really would be great to just create her character on the server I have been on along with some other players looking forward to being on the same server for WVW...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Crimthan.9308 said:

This doesn't really solve the issue though.  Both are limited fixes.  Really would be great to just create her character on the server I have been on along with some other players looking forward to being on the same server for WVW...

Yea who decide what wvwer to kick from that server to get her in tho?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Crimthan.9308 said:

your best bet is to create an alt on a free account to play with her on another server. that said, arenanet is about to roll out one more world restructuring beta before turning it on permanently, so that server is going to go away anyway, and i wouldn't consider it a high priority to stay there.

all that will matter when world restructuring goes live is your wvw guild.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

On 11/24/2023 at 3:06 AM, Crimthan.9308 said:

The server my girlfriend needs to create a character on is FULL and I've been on it since 2012.

I'm not leaving the server.  She needs to be able to create a character to play with my friends, guild, and I for WvW.

Servers will be abolished some time next year, so the most important thing is that you get her into the same WvW guild to ensure you will be able to play together in the future.

If you can't wait for that long, well, she will need to try weekly to see if she can slip into a free spot on that server.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well ... there are just the two options: Her joining another server with you both being on different servers. Or you joining the other server as well.
Joining a world that is linked with yours is only a temporary solution. (Sometimes servers might be without link. And at a re-link she'd have to pay gems again to transfer.)

The system is there for a reason: Too many people on one server ... might make it imbalanced and/or increase the queue. This is not based on just the current amount of players playing. Afaik they adjust it manually? (Not sure.) Date is taken from a longer period at least - to see some average amount of people playing. Would not make sense to list the server as almost empty ... with then a lot of people transfering there ... when during peak time it already might have long queues - which then would even be longer.

Waiting for the alliances system ...
well ... we don't know how long it will take until this will fully get implemented.

Maybe the server will be set to something other than "full" at some point or you can get the whole guild to transfer - to still be able to play with them? 😄 (Unless it also is important to play with other guilds on the server you know. But I guess "server identity" is not really an important thing anymore for most people nowadays.)

6 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Joining a world that is linked with yours is only a temporary solution.

To me the current restructuring plans sound like servers will be gone within the next 3-6 month (depending how many bugs the next beta will show). So maybe a temp. solution is all that's needed.

From what I've been reading here and what I've read elsewhere - this fix could be done soon or quite a while down the road.

Sounds like we would have to put this on hold as awaiting a permanent solution and way forward is the outcome we choose.
None of us are going to leave the server we've been on since GW2 released.
Not sure that "someone being kicked from the server" is actually something that would happen, if we were to somehow "get" my girlfriend on to the server. Either way, that's messed up, not something we'd desire, and not even sure how they measure the server capacity. (Is it by created accounts?  Is it by amount of people active on the server?  Is it both?) 
In the end it doesn't matter because it's always full when I check anyway.

Again, looks like we are waiting for the permanent solution or answer to arrive and be implemented so we can go from there.  

Thanks to all who gave meaningful thought and insight into the situation.

12 hours ago, Crimthan.9308 said:

Snip 

not even sure how they measure the server capacity. (Is it by created accounts?  Is it by amount of people active on the server?  Is it both?) 

Snip

Its by nr of people active in wvw for said server since thats were it matters.

Hence why I wrote what I did.

On 11/25/2023 at 1:10 AM, Crimthan.9308 said:

Just to be clear I'm not saying these are good options and you should be happy with them, I'm just saying it's all that's available currently.

Of course it would be great if everyone could play with whoever they wanted, without it somehow leading to absurdly one-sided matches, but we as players can't change how it works and it's taking Anet a very long time to implement a new system.