Dear Arenanet, please split beta tests from the live servers in the future.

Lion.6590

While beta characters don't share the progress with the player's main account, nothing prevents them from going into content with non-beta players and using exploits from untested features to allow those players to achieve things that they normally would. This is simply not okay.
Beta like the ones for WvW alliances are fine to be done in the live servers, but anything like the current new weapons beta shouldn't be kept in a different branch of the server to avoid players in the live server from taking advantage of exploits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

No, it is a main function of these tests to find out about all the interactions possible in normal play and for that they need to interact with normal players, it's not an exploit, it's a bug/questionable feature to detect,

Take a few days off if you don’t like it.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

No, it is a main function of these tests to find out about all the interactions possible in normal play and for that they need to interact with normal players, it's not an exploit, it's a bug/questionable feature to detect,

Take a few days off if you don’t like it.

How will a test server split from the main server prevent people from testing things from the live server? It is literally a copy from the live servers with the added beta features on top of it.
Also, we are literally talking about exploits that can ruin the progression of other players. There is already a way to have beta characters in ranked PvP matches when they are not supposed to, if one of those days we get a more serious issue people will take advantage of them to mess up the live servers and this will not end well for Anet and the players.

20 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I never understood why it matters to some players the achievements of others. 

Why do you bother with other players' achievements then? I like how you throw that empty sentence, but you are the first one to care about what others have achieved in their lives through their hard work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

25 minutes ago, Lion.6590 said:

How will a test server split from the main server prevent people from testing things from the live server? It is literally a copy from the live servers with the added beta features on top of it.

• The reduced amount of players will give less interactions, resulting in less things being testet.
  • While a beta-char can play builds with normal weapons, they are less likely doing so, pvp/wvw between normal builds and beta-builds or raids and strikes with normal and beta player in a squad will be less likely.
  • Some area's are sparse populated in normal play, they will be empty on a beta-server, e.g. you can join a Worldboss kill with a beta-char on normal servers, but I doubt that any Worldboss will be killed on a pure betra-server.
1 hour ago, Lion.6590 said:

from taking advantage of exploits.

Beta player by definition cannot do exploits as they have no permanent progress. And an exploit requires getting an advantage. No save = no advantage

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Lion.6590 said:

Why do you bother with other players' achievements then? I like how you throw that empty sentence, but you are the first one to care about what others have achieved in their lives through their hard work.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I couldn't care less about other players' achievements, either in GW2 or in their real lives.  Their achievements don't impact me.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I must admit that fighting against obscenely broken OP beta characters makes my limited game time much less fun.

Simply don't do it, if you don't like it or do it with a beta-char, then it doesn't harm your account score.

It's definitely better that any "obscenely broken OP beta characters" are identified now instead of after release.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

21 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Simply don't do it, if you don't like it or do it with a beta-char, then it doesn't harm your account score.

My rewards and progress are negatively impacted by the beta. Not playing, or playing with a beta character, does not overcome that hit to my progress. ANet does not pay me to test their product before release.

• Like 6
  • Confused 8

Ranked joining a team with the other four been beta characters.

If you are saying "use beta" or "don't play this days" you are telling the customer don't use the product or just use beta (unfinished/unreleased). It doesn't make any sense from a business/product/customer sense. If i can't play normally i will be pissed off (unsatisfied).

They could add a beta server and let others join with normal builds too. Also the broken builds part can be tested easily by closed betas (if i put 20 guys that know what they do they will identify a broken meta fast enough).

Also if theres little people, then you have a problem of population.

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

No healthy game will be so having exploits on it... Theres no defence to having them....

And from my reading of it thats what the OP is refering too.

One case would be a broken skill that can take down a world boss/strong enemy and ruin a beta for the other players.

I dont remember the numbers but once, years ago, chaos armor did have super damage.

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Breaking beta characters off of the main game would be a really good way to make the beta completely pointless, because less people will be willing to even try a beta character and there'll be barely anyone playing regular characters, because, why would they?

Anet wants to gather data on the new weapons, because I'm sure none of you want 17 balance patches to nerf/buff the new weapons following their relese. They could just not do a beta and throw the weapons in and then just figure out balancing in the following weeks/months, but then we'd have complaints about that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

My rewards and progress are negatively impacted by the beta. Not playing, or playing with a beta character, does not overcome that hit to my progress. ANet does not pay me to test their product before release.

The beta only lasts 5 days. I highly doubt any sort of progress you are being currently denied is worse than if we didn't have a live beta and the weapons were released without proper testing. You would be more impacted for a longer period of time.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

In testing you will want the beta toons in a production environment to ensure that you can collect data on how the beta toons and exiting interact. Spin it for a second, what player is going to join a beta to playtest an existing toon when they keep no progress. Sure you can test interaction between just beta players but that gives you only limited data.

As far exploits, not sure what that is about so will focus just on testing in an open or closed environment.

• Like 2

We've had both:

- elite specializations without beta phase

- elite specializations with beta phases

Having beta phases was significantly better in regards to the released version of any feature.

Splitting beta characters off completely would significantly impact how much testing is done and how the implemented feature affects the live game.

My personal opinion on this:

Better to have a few days of in some cases fun mayhem, than weeks of balancing and fixing after a feature goes live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn't even know this was a thing til last night when I saw a mesmer with a rifle at a JP. I had just automatically assumed that they would be kept separate from the start. The character slots are separate. There's a big banner across the top warning you it's a beta character, why would I assume differently? Honestly, I don't care though. I like the beta test, I like playing with new toys, but knowing that it's all smoke really keeps me from playing it a whole lot since it's not actually making me any progress. But I see no reason to change it from the way it is now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I don't really enjoy playing the beta myself, but I do enjoy seeing some of the players trying them out and seeing how they like them.   

I don't really see how for five days anyone is severely hampered by these for achievements and progress.  I could see limiting them in competitive play, and keeping them in unranked matches only.  As for all other modes, really is a non issue.  I have not missed out on anything because of the beta characters I've played with in WvW, open world, convergences, or strikes this week.  

• Like 2

LoTRO has a public test server separated from live game, and so does ESO.  Have always thought that was counter productive to allowing for more widespread testing, until I realized that in those games the amount of changes introduced at one time are usually so massive that there is no way you could do that on a live server testing scenario since they release everything at once, build changes, stat changes, armour sets, content changes, NPC changes, you name it.   

Here we are talking about only new weapons access and features, class dependent at that so it is much smaller scale and makes much more sense to do on live to compare how they work both with and against current builds that do use them.  As others have said, beta chars here don't achieve anything that will be saved or stored to your account so no harm no foul - even if they were exploiting anything, which I doubt they can. 

If you feel they negatively impact you, move on to somewhere else where you are not engaging with them. Problem solved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1