Make a better game engine

IamSatan.7368

Yeah, 12 year old engine based on a 19 year old game engine. Might as well be playing the original Unity engine that came out in 2005. I'm guessing the devs would love to have a more modern engine. Probably why there's so much burnout and churn.

• Confused 5

On 12/12/2023 at 7:39 AM, Sindust.7059 said:

Same, the X3Ds can't fix the issues, it's the engine itself that can't handle processing more than 20 characters on screen very well unfortunately. There's gotta be some memory settings in the engine that could "break" to allow the engine to process more data but it's probably impossible or they would have done it by now.

For now it's just one of those things we can just pray gets better in the future. And if it doesn't we just gotta support them until their next project rolls out an alpha/beta build in some 4-5 years.

You can get some decent FPS if you turn off other's effects during fights btw, so there's still ways to enjoy smoothness with lots of players.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Shinra.8564 said:

Yeah, 12 year old engine based on a 19 year old game engine. Might as well be playing the original Unity engine that came out in 2005. I'm guessing the devs would love to have a more modern engine. Probably why there's so much burnout and churn.

UE5 is based on a 30-year-old game engine, and it seems to be doing just fine. It doesn't matter when it was first written, it matters whether it's been properly maintained.

• Like 5

Having just played a lot of Crown pavilion today with some 20-30 odd people  between 45-85 fps I'd say that's pretty good; that's about what I get in FFXIV in large scale content. However, some places are better optimized than others...Wizard's Tower is a maximum of like 30fps no matter what. As some have said, it's such a gorgeous place but the engine struggles so bad there.

People harping about a better engine and graphics are going to be in shock when they learn Anet doesn't have the necessary funding and how NCsoft has their eyes elsewhere right now (COUGH THRONE AND LIBERTY COUGH). It's more probable with a Guild Wars 3 than GW2- if latest gossip is anything to go by about its potential conception.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think this would be a good idea for a Guild Wars 3, if they ever make that. Gw2 came in to being because there was so much developers wanted to do that was outside of the scope of the original game. Perhaps we can look to Gw3 as hope for a new game engine. 

On 8/10/2024 at 1:06 AM, Ghastly.3914 said:

Having just played a lot of Crown pavilion today with some 20-30 odd people  between 45-85 fps I'd say that's pretty good; that's about what I get in FFXIV in large scale content. However, some places are better optimized than others...Wizard's Tower is a maximum of like 30fps no matter what. As some have said, it's such a gorgeous place but the engine struggles so bad there.

ffxiv actually has a functional "display x amount of players" setting. setting it to lowest for hunt trains etc fixes the issue completely

anet refuses to hide gemstore models, backpacks, player models, and refuses to fix the issue, while continuing to make more demanding maps and metas that cramp the entire map population into 1 room

Edited by Incurve Giidis.7829
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

since this alliance thing started for wvw,i been watching people stop playing gws2 all together .of course if your on a team that has 3 sets of map blobs you haveing  great time smashing players if they have content now, i am stuck for another 16 days in wvw with this alliance crap were i cant even go to other maps with out running into mega blobs  .i was hopping that ANET was able to make a better wvw, but instead making people look for other games to play and stop playing gws2 all together, 1 its not fun playing gws2 in wvw no more,,,2 watching players quit gws2 all together,,,3 wvw has been dieing for 3 years alot more people would say longer i being nice,,4 wvw is now in the grave yard and sinking fast,,, how to fix gws2 in wvw if ANET even cares, restore the wvw back to when the the GUILDS and servers really meant something, like honor. ANET you need to stop listening and change wvw cause of people crying cause they want to use there credit card of mom or daddy, also being a dimond leng as a title means nothing in wvw when u have a noob play one shot a dimond leng something wrong there ANET .please fix your game or shut your servers all down to wvw put us out of torcher. me i am sick of looking and at mega blobs on all maps watching siege get one shot, hackers  in your game, so ANET please do something you cant honstly think this is good i  dont even see 1 ANET person in wvw trying or running for his lfe in wvw. dimond leng  should get some sort of a buff i can keep going i feel others sais more or worst than me i was trying to be nice sorry ANET

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

Whole page of responses and nobody is pointing out how Shinra.8564 necroed 8 months dead thread there?

Necro old thread: Mod closes it.

Post new thread on same topic: Told to search before posting.

Can't win.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Mr Karuu.4958 said:

since this alliance thing started for wvw,i been watching people stop playing gws2 all together .of course if your on a team that has 3 sets of map blobs you haveing  great time smashing players if they have content now, i am stuck for another 16 days in wvw with this alliance crap were i cant even go to other maps with out running into mega blobs  .i was hopping that ANET was able to make a better wvw, but instead making people look for other games to play and stop playing gws2 all together, 1 its not fun playing gws2 in wvw no more,,,2 watching players quit gws2 all together,,,3 wvw has been dieing for 3 years alot more people would say longer i being nice,,4 wvw is now in the grave yard and sinking fast,,, how to fix gws2 in wvw if ANET even cares, restore the wvw back to when the the GUILDS and servers really meant something, like honor. ANET you need to stop listening and change wvw cause of people crying cause they want to use there credit card of mom or daddy, also being a dimond leng as a title means nothing in wvw when u have a noob play one shot a dimond leng something wrong there ANET .please fix your game or shut your servers all down to wvw put us out of torcher. me i am sick of looking and at mega blobs on all maps watching siege get one shot, hackers  in your game, so ANET please do something you cant honstly think this is good i  dont even see 1 ANET person in wvw trying or running for his lfe in wvw. dimond leng  should get some sort of a buff i can keep going i feel others sais more or worst than me i was trying to be nice sorry ANET

/points in general direction of the WvW forums.

• Confused 1

Remaking the whole game in a new engine is unrealistic.
But asking for a better optimized experience is not only completely realistic but also, necesary.

Aside hardware limitations each has, Guild Wars 2 does not perform well in many scenarios, nor the dx11 implemantion is fully realized/integrated. For example AMD adrenaline for the purposes of super resolution or fluid motion frames doesn't even recognize the ".exe" as a dx11 application.

Hopefully they at some point decide to do what many MMORPGs at some point do and upgrade/optimize THE existing engine and graphics, in case of GW2, maybe revisit and optimize the dx11 implimentation. 

Edited by Inssengrimm.7924

Is it required to have a completely new engine to have the game utilize a PC's resources better? I don't know much about IT. Isn't it possible to change or update the current engine to allow it to make use of multi-threading CPUs and perhaps to offload some work on the GPU?

10 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Isn't it possible to change or update the current engine to allow it to make use of multi-threading CPUs and perhaps to offload some work on the GPU?

It is possible.
But it requieres a lot of resources and effort in optimization, raw programation hours.

Put it simply, it could be the entire workload focus of an expansion, but for the health of game for years to come, i think is a worthwhile investment if it means better overall performance in all game modes.