Make a better game engine

IamSatan.7368

Asking a game developer to change the engine is like asking an artist to change their watercolour painting into oil on canvas - you're basically asking them to re-create the entire thing in a different way. Even if it mostly looks the same in the end it's a huge amount of work.

There's also no guarentee it would fix problems with your specific computer.There's a lot more that goes into making a game run well than just which graphics card you have.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 11
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, IamSatan.7368 said:

Just a thought why dont ANET make a better game engine so that the game run smoother in populated zone? I have a rtx 4090 so i shouldnt have to experience 20-30 frames in an old game.

4090 or not, MMORPGs are intensive on hardware due to the amount of client to server to client rendering and information being processed at any given moment. MMORPGs are just hardware intensive games, that is all there is to it. Even WoW with its graphics can get under 60 frames depending on graphics settings and the amount of players present within your proximity.

Welcome to the MMORPG genre.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

4090 or not, MMORPGs are intensive on hardware due to the amount of client to server to client rendering and information being processed at any given moment. MMORPGs are just hardware intensive games, that is all there is to it. Even WoW with its graphics can get under 60 frames depending on graphics settings and the amount of players present within your proximity.

Welcome to the MMORPG genre.

Wow can have way more players on the map. Guildwars 2 is max 150. En ofc its more cpu heavy they told me back then. Also server getting more work for players with a high ping. When i had gtx 780ti i thought the same. I should have a high fps. But they told me i needed one of the newest intel cpu’s. I had a fx 8120. Now i7 6700k 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

Wow can have way more players on the map. Guildwars 2 is max 150. 

GW2 can have ~220 players on a map in playable PvP (would have been more without PvE expansion skill design ruining it over the years).

Last I checked WoW battlegrounds was 80 peeps and “open world” battles was completely unplayable slideshows.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, IamSatan.7368 said:

Just a thought why dont ANET make a better game engine so that the game run smoother in populated zone? I have a rtx 4090 so i shouldnt have to experience 20-30 frames in an old game.

Shortest Answer I can give you: $

It is simply not worth the financial investment to do so. 

Also to get the best framerate you need a CPU capable of very fast single thread tasks. Almost any current GPU is actually overkill as far as the actual graphics go.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I want to know why an old game takes so long to load into many zones on a nvme? The hardware is modern but the game isnt so i guess thats it?

True. I have the game installed on samsung 970 pro or something. Also nvme m2. Before when i joined guild hall everything was instant there. But no more. Also map loading takes sometimes more then 10 seconds. But i have to say last weeks it looks faster. If graphics are on lowest the loading is also very fast. Its weird. 

and btw. 24 fps is enough for a smooth look. Its the same as a movie. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, IamSatan.7368 said:

that's really  bizarre, ive got an i3 9350K (overclocked to 5k) that released in 2019 and its solid 60 fps in all zones apart from one and that includes wvw.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

Before when i joined guild hall everything was instant there. But no more. Also map loading takes sometimes more then 10 seconds. But i have to say last weeks it looks faster.

Zone load times have increased noticeably with the release of SotO. Probably a combination of higher player population because new content, and a likely need for some code optimization here and there due to unintended side effects from various updates.

• Like 2

I do hope they can optimize the SOTO zones more in any case, the frame rate drops there are quite significant. Actually I guess Nayos isn't as bad but the first two are bad, espeically Amnytas.

But yeah the game is limited by CPU it's not heavily GPU. This is one of the last mmos running an engine of this style like that, but most MMOs were aiming at CPU instead of GPU utilization up until about 2013

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Artair.1687 said:

I do hope they can optimize the SOTO zones more in any case, the frame rate drops there are quite significant. Actually I guess Nayos isn't as bad but the first two are bad, espeically Amnytas.

But yeah the game is limited by CPU it's not heavily GPU. This is one of the last mmos running an engine of this style like that, but most MMOs were aiming at CPU instead of GPU utilization up until about 2013

I think Elder Scrolls Online is the same and that came out in 2014, but of course it was in development for a long time before that. (Likely longer than intended because they had to re-do a lot of the game after Skyrim was so popular, before that ESO looked more like WoW but they re-designed it to be more like Skyrim.)

• Confused 1

On 12/13/2023 at 1:35 AM, Obtena.7952 said:

It's a low value proposition. What is the business case for Anet doing this?

More people playing the game ? Equals more money ? Its probably one of the top reasons why people stop playing the game besides the visuals not being that great with the default settings. Clearly OP doesn't know much about technical details, since making a new engine is hella lot of work and there is no reason to make a whole new engine. But there is always a lot they can do to improve the current engine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/12/2023 at 6:31 PM, Vilin.8056 said:

Seriously guys, let us pretending that gaming rig, despite with a Rtx 4090, does not have a high-end CPU.

Ever since the first dual core processors were launched in the early 2000's consumer CPU computing has focused on multi-thread performance for most applications. While yes, single thread performance does increase with better CPU's, the fact remains that GW2 is simply underutilising the capabilities of modern chips because of its single threaded nature. You can throw an  i9 14900K with its 24 cores and 32 threads at GW2 and the entire thing will load just one of those cores and waste so much potential. This is also why you have people with current generation gaming PCs getting similar performance to people with 5 or even 10 year old rigs, all that additional performance is simply not utilised.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, kubikator.9105 said:

More people playing the game ? Equals more money ? Its probably one of the top reasons why people stop playing the game besides the visuals not being that great with the default settings. Clearly OP doesn't know much about technical details, since making a new engine is hella lot of work and there is no reason to make a whole new engine. But there is always a lot they can do to improve the current engine.

There is lots they can do to improve the current engine? Maybe ... that has nothing to do with what this thread is about, or what I said though. 

Interesting though ...  Anet already did a thing to improve the current engine, like, 2-3 years ago. Now, it's certainly easy to say this leads to more people playing and more money. Not sure that's actually the result though. Unless you have something that suggests that happened, then you don't really know.  Same thing assuming it's a 'top' reason people stop playing the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2