What Races Other Than Humans Would Work Best As A Necro?

Ayumi Spender.1082

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:My first character was a Necro and also human so that's off the list.Been thinking of making another character, but I want them to be Necro as well.

While I know Necros are now after playing GW2 and learning a bit from GW1, it's based around the Human God of the Undead. Whether it's Dhuum or Grenth or otherwise.But in GW2 we've seen anyone can be a Necro (well at least Sylvari with Trahearne), but wondering which is like the closest "makes sense" race to make a Necro except Human?Also would say except Sylvari as I've already made the perfect Sylvari and can't find another way to make a Sylvari look good to my view.

i'd say Norn as they have the whole spirit thing. so spirits of the dead would fit. but thats about it.

Sylvari....eh. they might be ok necromancers but they don't really understand death and understand the implications of what they doing.

Charr. they live death. war war war. and dont understand the meaning of what they do, just the usefulness.

Asura, ironically the least likely are also one of my favorite for the role. Asura love to innovate and create. and one of those....is to merge Golemancy with Necromancy.And if an Asura faces a problem where Necromancy poses a possible solution, they leap at it.

for an example, my own character was blinded. thats a problem for an Asura who likes to build stuff.

so she descided to use the eyes of a thing who no longer needed them. a corpse.and, as asura do, she experimented, she innovated, and now the corpse resembles a small dragon. add to that her other minions (Flesh Golem and bone fiend), and she's now able to see the world from multiple 3rd person perspectives. (All her minions)

! krfeeQD.jpg

Ironically, for such a young race who may not fully appreciate what death really means, both male and female Sylvari arguably have the most poetic/badass lines when summoning minions. They sound like they're binding fully sentient creatures to their will, rather than experimenting with shambling cannon-fodder as most other races do.

Charr were full of mesmers & necromancers/ shamans in GW1 Their names were much more primal in gw1 than in GW2. I don't think their names were directly related to warbands either but I could be wrong! (some gw1 charr shaman names: Cess Corpselighter, Burr Mankiller, Anmat the Trickster, Garfazz Bloodfang, Harvest Soulreign, Maul Riptear)Norn; even the warriors in Gw1 were very sprititual. They were better in GW1 than GW2, the focus on their spirit felt more genuine than it does in GW2. The fact that as a norn in gw2 you can access any spirit even though in creation, you choose only 1 spirit, bewilders me. Jora couldn't transform into a bear until she proved herself to her spirit bear! Well, if in GW2 all you have to do is wait & choose between other spirits then why was there so much emphasis on Jora & the bear? If she couldn't prove herself to bear then why not just turn to another spirit? It's abit of a lore flaw on the writers parts IMO.Although Norn are more spiritual, there is nothing special about them in GW2 like there was in GW1. They don't say anything extraordinary compared to other races.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:N:everybody was someone's child onceS:I wasn't.N:Besides the point.

Assuming the S here are the sylvari, even they consider themselves children of the Tree and call her Mother. So yeah, everyone was someone's child once. They just never had a childhood.

@Rognik.2579 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:N:everybody was someone's child onceS:I wasn't.N:Besides the point.

Assuming the S here are the sylvari, even they consider themselves children of the Tree and call her Mother. So yeah, everyone was someone's child once. They just never had a childhood.

I'm pretty sure VAHN's quoting a conversation directly from the game there. The Vigil camp in Blazeridge, I believe?

I was asking myself the same question for a long time. The aspect of necromancy that is most prominent in the concept as whole is that of communicating and/or eventually controlling dead spirits/thralls. This fits the spiritualistic norn pretty well. Follower of the raven, a sort of dark shaman is my choice for necro.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

I'm pretty sure VAHN's quoting a conversation directly from the game there. The Vigil camp in Blazeridge, I believe?

No it is from the GW2 book "Ghosts of Ascalon"When Gullik(norn) was talking to Killeen (sylvari) about her use of necromancy and how it made others (mostly humans of the group) uncomfortable.

@supa suop.8026 said:

No it is from the GW2 book "Ghosts of Ascalon"When Gullik(norn) was talking to Killeen (sylvari) about her use of necromancy and how it made others (mostly humans of the group) uncomfortable.

That was it! Thank you.

I guess every race works as a necro but the type would be different.I picture humans more as priests who perform rites and communes with the dead.While the asura probably study the power of the soul,And the sylvari probably have little attachement to the value of flesh, when its host is dead.Charr would probably only raise dead for the value of prowess, while looking down on people who commune with ghosts because of the Ascalon mess.

My necromancer is an Asura.Gave him shackles, horns and batwings.Looks like a real imp-demon now. And since i focus on corruption it works. It looks like an asura who was studying demons and taint, and became corrupted himself (hey, you can't become a Savant with less than 2 lab accidents)

@"narcx.3570" said:An Asura necro could have a very Frankensteinesque approach to the science of life and death.

Alluded to, I think, in their minion-creation chatter: "Each more hideous than the last!" and "I've made life! ...of a sort..."

To be honest, most of the character lines when raising minions provide a lot of insight into how that race view necromancy, as I pointed out above with the Sylvari who treat them as more sentient beings than other races do. Charr are very military, with lines like "Present arms!", and very pragmatic attitudes like "Never waste a corpse."

Despite Norn being very spiritual and Raven playing a similar role to Grenth, I find their lines frustratingly lacking in lore and insight compared to the other races.

Archived