GW3 is long overdue

On 1/1/2024 at 5:48 PM, SloRules.3560 said:

NCsoft apparently thinks MMOs are profitable with Thrones and Liberty, so does Riot games and Sony (horizon mmo, developed by NCsoft). I'm guessing they don't expect massive market from the west with T&L, so why not new MMO from NcSoft and thus ANet.

Its getting bad reviews, its really p2w and boring , yes it looks great, but looks aint what i play for only. I had high hopes for T&L sadly its not great.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

Its getting bad reviews, its really p2w and boring , yes it looks great, but looks aint what i play for only. I had high hopes for T&L sadly its not great.

It's yet another Korean MMO, what did you expect. They fart them out like a gallon of beans over there.

Korean/Chinese MMO= gacha/+garbage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I always taught it to be made for Eastern market and haven't really looked at it much. Not even graphics are all that inviting with what to me seems unreal engine default style. Long term games need a bit of unique stylization if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SloRules.3560 said:

I always taught it to be made for Eastern market and haven't really looked at it much. Not even graphics are all that inviting with what to me seems unreal engine default style. Long term games need a bit of unique stylization if you ask me.

The graphics look good to me. Reminds me of Hogwarts Legacy.

I think Guild Wars 2 has stood for a long time with its painterly artistic style. But it launched in 2012. I don't think it's some big loss to admit a game developed for a decade that launched in 2023 has better graphics. I would hope 11 years of advances in game engines, hardware has netted some benefit. Having more detail, being able to plug in seasons, rain, sun, clouds.

From the looks of that review of Throne and Liberty they have two significant problems beyond being a typical Eastern pay to win MMO:

1) The combat is better but you still feel it's not great. They had a few months to overhaul and it went from really bad to acceptable. The grappling and other stuff is a bit janky and unintuitive.

2) Questing is a bit rough for leveling. They went halfway between traditional MMOs like World of Warcraft and events like Guild Wars 2. And it just makes things unclear and more grindy.

I genuinely believe Arena Net should be looking at Guild Wars 3. Huge fanbase. Other MMOs are starting to plug in the "good" parts of Guild Wars 2.

Arena Net has a good base in Guild Wars 2's event system and open world in particular but there are flaws, there is bloat and there are opportunities that a new game on a new engine would provide for. No one is saying "abandon GW2 tomorrow" but rather it's time to plan for the future. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

This might be interesting:

For all of you still lurking or waiting for GW3, expect at least 5+ years or more at the very least since the current unannounced project seems not to be GW3 (as mentioned) and there is still active content development for GW2.

For everyone who is looking forward to try a new MMO, you just got one more to lool forward to.

Notice, that, according to this article, this project is not being developed by Anet, but by Lineage team instead. As such, we still don't know what is the unannounced project Anet is working on in the background.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

The graphics look good to me. Reminds me of Hogwarts Legacy.

I think Guild Wars 2 has stood for a long time with its painterly artistic style. But it launched in 2012. I don't think it's some big loss to admit a game developed for a decade that launched in 2023 has better graphics. I would hope 11 years of advances in game engines, hardware has netted some benefit. Having more detail, being able to plug in seasons, rain, sun, clouds.

From the looks of that review of Throne and Liberty they have two significant problems beyond being a typical Eastern pay to win MMO:

1) The combat is better but you still feel it's not great. They had a few months to overhaul and it went from really bad to acceptable. The grappling and other stuff is a bit janky and unintuitive.

2) Questing is a bit rough for leveling. They went halfway between traditional MMOs like World of Warcraft and events like Guild Wars 2. And it just makes things unclear and more grindy.

I genuinely believe Arena Net should be looking at Guild Wars 3. Huge fanbase. Other MMOs are starting to plug in the "good" parts of Guild Wars 2.

Arena Net has a good base in Guild Wars 2's event system and open world in particular but there are flaws, there is bloat and there are opportunities that a new game on a new engine would provide for. No one is saying "abandon GW2 tomorrow" but rather it's time to plan for the future. 

Oh i think the graphics on T&L are better than GW2. Actually looked at combat now and yeah, it looks a bit better than months ago, but still, seems very generic somehow.

Believe they had a few major design direction changes and it now shows.

I also hope GW3 is already in the works with the unannounced project, because i don't see GW2 combating competition more than 5 years down the line. It's just been stagnant for 5 years now which includes 2 expansions with no direction change on the horizon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Notice, that, according to this article, this project is not being developed by Anet, but by Lineage team instead. As such, we still don't know what is the unannounced project Anet is working on in the background.

True, and this is what I answered Ashantara on bringing this up:

Horizon is a Western developer IP. There were rumors 1 year back that Arenanet was working on it. There were rumors that Arenanet is working on a mobile game. Horinzon MMO is confirmed to be PC and mobile (and I believe PS5). Horizon MMO will need a western port/developer and chances are that Arenanet is a support studio on this.

Granted not all of this is in that link, but given this new leak matches a TON of past leaks which were attributed to Arenanet and their second project, it would fit and I thought I'd share.

The other issue is that NCSoft is currently already developing multiple MMOs, including Aion 2 and Throne and Liberty. With Horizon, if we assume te rumors are true, it becomes at least 3 confirmed MMOs and eventually one has to ask how many MMOs is a developer willing to fund/invest in at the same time, which again makes GW3 unlikely.

Now my belief here is:

- I don't see NCSoft green lighting another MMORPG for the western market with T&L about to release and the Horizon MMORPG in the making

- the rumors of the past might hint at Arenanet being at least somewhat involved with the Horizon MMORPG, maybe as support studio  given the western IP

- the development schedule for GW2 and the mini expansions which are setup for at least another 1.5-2.5 years (depending on if you believe in the announcement of expansion 6 already being in preproduction) make a rival MMORPG unlikely (it's already unlikely given how difficult it is to run 2 MMORPGs as studio, double for a smaller studio like Arenanet)

- if GW3 is in development, it most certainly will not be as an MMORPG, if at all

That's part speculation, part reasonable reflection on market realities. What ever it might be, there is no GW3 in the upcoming years.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hey OP, you don't want them to make GW3. What you are actually asking for is for better optimization of GW2, and it is something people have been asking for for several years now. Your idea is not new, unique, or the final straw to break the camel's back regarding this kitten topic about GW3.

The move from DX9 to DX11 was a step in the right direction, but I get the feeling the optimization people like you have been asking for would require moving the game to a completely different engine. From what I'm told, doing something like that is essentially making a whole new game, which would require significant investment in time and resources that ArenaNet may not have.

So, no, GW3 is not overdue. Better GW2 optimization is overdue.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:37 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

[...] which again makes GW3 unlikely.

I really don't care if they are planning on doing GW3 or not, and I also agree that I won't believe it until they release an official statement.

I am close to quitting GW2 for good, not because of a GW3 announcement but because of the fact that the game is no longer releasing good content. It had about 4-5 great years (2015-2019), and I have my doubts that GW3 would be any better.

I, for one, won't buy it unless

• they hire new writers,
  • they have the proper amount of resources to maintain a high-quality game standard,
  • the game doesn't replace actual content with grind activities,
  • the game takes place before the events of GW1,
  • the game has GW1's dual-class (and skill) system,
  • the game has a classy fantasy art style,
  • the game has GW2's excellent movement and character animation system (including mounts),
  • the game has a better character creator than GW2 (where you can create heroines that don't look like Barbie dolls),
  • the game excludes any furry/anime-lover designs,
  • the game is not pay-to-win.
Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You do realize that you're reacting in a thread that was started last December, right? 

Nope, had no idea.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

And that the OP has not returned to the forums since that initial post. 

Good to know.

The real question now is: what the kitten are any of us doing here commenting on a really old post?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1