GW3 is long overdue

55 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

"Remastering" makes me equally as nervous. I remember when they "remastered" the Sunspear Outfit, idle animations, running. There's always an added, "and it'll give us a chance to fix these other things."

It will be what it will be. Would be a shame for me, enjoying the new cadence.

Well i mean more like a deep rework of actual systems, performance and so on, not just animations or "eye-candy" so to speak. But yeah, it might be not even possible with this current engine. At some point its probably better to just create a new game than to rework an old one. 

• Thanks 1

GW2:

• Game is gorgeous,  As with any mmorpg the old zones are not the best.  Shines with reshade.
  • mmorpg wvw performance is best in market
  • pvp is slick and smooth
  •  huge variety of builds, and profession skill complexity and variation
  • massive world, endless content
  • high performing engine. 10 year old pcs still cope, 5 years old pcs can run everything  at max. 
    • Game engine struggles in a couple areas with 4k for people without high end pc.
  • free to play
  • does not haver power creep, a player can leave and return in a year and his gear is still as relevant as when they left.

Spending hundreds of millions to build GW3 would result in the above at best with a an improvement in fidelity, but with massive content loss.  I would rather ANET spent those hundreds of millions on big expansions that may in themselves contain some technical improvements for 4k.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

😂😂😂

gw2:

•  10 year old art direction straight out of Fallout 3 era, while modern games actually have colors other than gray and brown
  •  wvw drops to 45fps with only 100 players on the screen on i9 4090 because the game doesn't have player model LODs, and servers lag in any fight bigger than 30v30 because of everyone playing unaddressed 7 year old boon conversion meta
  •  pvp is a deadzone bot land
  •  2 whole builds per class actually used in endgame out of 3728 different stats, skills and traits combination with whole traitlines, skills, stats, runes and sigils NEVER USED
  •  15 year old engine with 10 year old graphics features. HDR? lol no. Ultrawide? Good luck. PBR? kek double u (does the game even support ARME maps or SSS? I mean, water doesn't even have caustics...). DX12? Forget it. Raytracing? ahahah
  •  charges $30 for glorified living world episode
  •  "does not have powercreep" ok buddy, I remember when 30k was considered a lot, and we have builds chilling at 45k untouched

Add to this:

• hardly any significant gameplay changes in the past 5 years, highlighted by 5 year old builds centered around one 5 year old trait/rune/skill interaction, still dominating the meta in all game modes, that cause reddit drama when that 5 year old interaction accidentally gets affected by unrelated change because people are so used to it
  • no modern qol features being added for years. In-world ping? Emote wheel? Map search? NPC search? Actual tutorial??? In-world navigation? Autonav? Doing literally anything with the disgrace that the achievement panel is??? Hell, they had to make the new daily UI into a WEBSITE that runs in the in-game browser because they can't be bothered with the actual game UI anymore.
  • hamfisted UI changes to just barely fit the neverending pileup of throwaway changes. Tiny hidden mastery skill menu with no keybinds. Mount menu so clunky people had to fix it with an addon. Separate UI key for a dead mount. Special action. Special-special action. Quests as collections. World map shortcuts. The freaking boon bar. The aforementioned daily panel. Catalyst F5 😂

you may not like it but the writing is on the wall

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:54 PM, ScottBroChill.3254 said:

I love guild wars, but nahhh. I didn't enjoy the theme and vibe change from guild wars 1 to 2, it became too.. "kiddie"? Goofy inspector gadget engineer, an  elementalist that can't specialize in an element, a mesmer without interupts. I preferred the whole mtg inspiration of the first game and builds were more fun to make and more specialized. I preferred the lore and world of gw1, and I don't think guild wars 3 would go in a preferred direction for me. 

I just don't see a reason to release another game that will be held down by the lore and design of the current world, it gives them less freedom of how to design the next game.

A good summary I can agree with.

If GW3 was set in an era pre-GW1, though, it wouldn't be held down as much. Still, I'd prefer a remake of GW1 with a modern graphics engine. 🥰

• Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

u said someone from anet said

there will never be a gw3 do u have a link to what u said was said?

No he/she did not. Some one else asked if there wasn't a mention of there never being a GW3.

Cronospere merely correctly commented that any GW3 will not be happening within the next years since we know that at least 2 more expansions are in the planing/making.

SotO (expansion 4) will end mid 2024, and will be followed by expansion 5 which will run from mid 2024 to mid 2025 and is already being developed. Expansion 6, which would run from mid 2025 to mid 2026, is in the pre planing phase.

So even IF there was to be a GW3, it would not release before that and likely even a good while after expansion 6, similar to how GW2 launched a while after HotN for GW1.

So any serious release date for a GW3 would be at least 3-4 years in the future and that is only IF the current other project Arenanet is working on is GW3, for which there have been suggestions and speculation that it is not.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Making a sequel that will only run on an [expensive waste] latest gen gaming PC's would not only make a huge dent in the Anet finances, but significantly drop the playerbase because of said hardware being available to minority of players.

So yeah, you elitists will enjoy much less lag (because much less players) for a while before GW3 closes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

I even have 2! Both Josh Davis, if im correct he is the lead director.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-year-to-remember/

"We’ve been able to apply a lot of the lessons we’ve learned to our fifth expansion in very meaningful ways—lessons that impact both the developer and player experiences. Additionally, not only is the fifth expansion in active development, but we’re also already having conversations about what comes after that! We’re not ready to share any new details today, but what I can say is that we have plenty of thrilling adventures, captivating stories, and exciting updates ahead of us. We can’t wait to embark on this next chapter with you next year!"

https://wccftech.com/guild-wars-2-qa-arenanet-on-switch-to-yearly-expansions-secrets-of-the-obscure-learnings-and-2024-update/

"In terms of the future, we’re actively working on an expansion for 2024 (expansion 5) and planning one for 2025 (expansion 6), which is about as far into the future as we can reasonably foresee."

There is not a single moment i said gw3 isnt on the table. I merely stated 2 expansions will be there first and I only said it would probably be the end for me if there wouls be a gw3. 

9 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

No he/she did not. Some one else asked if there wasn't a mention of there never being a GW3.

Cronospere merely correctly commented that any GW3 will not be happening within the next years since we know that at least 2 more expansions are in the planing/making.

Thanks @Cyninja.2954 indeed. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If they make a guildwars 3 it has to have a subscription. This gives more opportunities to increase the team and less stress. Also they have to pay more for servers and more but from the money that gw2 made. For guildwars 2 they now got the game running for 11+ years but not easy i think. And players want more and more. 

but if they start a new mmo i wont play it. This account has much work in it. And for wow the same. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

If they make a guildwars 3 it has to have a subscription. This gives more opportunities to increase the team and less stress. Also they have to pay more for servers and more but from the money of gw2. For guildwars 2 they now got the game running for 11+ years but not easy i think. And plays want more and more. 

but if they start a new mmo i wont play it. This account has much work in it. And for wow the same. 

It wont get off the ground with a sub. The franchise has never had one and a sub doesn't mean bigger team or less stress. It just means another layer of money. That doesn't necs mean itll be invested any better, in fact historically these things rarely work out that way.

Also subs are becomin increasingly problematic as everything tries to shoehorn a sub into everyday lives. Even streaming services are starting to feel the problems with exclusive subs and not being able to keep the audience or drive consistent quality content. Game subs are going to have a very hard time competing going forward. If GW2 was to have had one, it would not have been here 11 years.

Anyway it is all moot. A GW3 MMO would be a bizarre investment and the signs are that is something else they are working on. Even if they have made that call to make a new GW game, I imagine it will not only be years away, but not even an MMO - instead something that can live alongside GW2 and grow together

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, synk.6907 said:

Sounds like what you want is a better engine. Nothing about enough content to warrant a whole new/separate game.

In-line upgrading/overhauling an engine is technically harder than building a new one; with all the new features you'd need, and none of the legacy support you're trying to get rid of.  Guildwar's Art Direction does a LOT to help you forget the fact that the renderer is as old as it is, and the weird way it has to do certain things.  Especially in the lighting, where a modern engine would be doing most of the heavy lifting.  

Now that said... the OP has no idea what they're talking about.  Even Crysis runs like a champ if you brute force it.  So it wouldn't surprise me if this is just another victim of UE5 hype train.  I swear, for every legit beneficial thing in UE5, there are two things people claim it'll fix when it doesn't.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It wont get off the ground with a sub. The franchise has never had one and a sub doesn't mean bigger team or less stress. It just means another layer of money. That doesn't necs mean itll be invested any better, in fact historically these things rarely work out that way.

Also subs are becomin increasingly problematic as everything tries to shoehorn a sub into everyday lives. Even streaming services are starting to feel the problems with exclusive subs and not being able to keep the audience or drive consistent quality content. Game subs are going to have a very hard time competing going forward. If GW2 was to have had one, it would not have been here 11 years.

Anyway it is all moot. A GW3 MMO would be a bizarre investment and the signs are that is something else they are working on. Even if they have made that call to make a new GW game, I imagine it will not only be years away, but not even an MMO - instead something that can live alongside GW2 and grow together

The whole business landscape won't tolerate it either.  F2P and Microtransations makes way too much money to not be the default scheme any publicly traded company would even take the energy to consider.  

Also, the Sub problem with Streaming Platforms is wildly different to the one that governs most games.  Its the "Preferred Platform" problem, where the "content" is considered a passive, interchangeable asset whose only purpose keep motivated enough to not cancel.  Because MMOs are way more actively engaged with, you get a ton more milage out of the uncapped spending of microtransactions, and opportunistic sales. 

Anyway.....  MMOs have dug their own grave with how they'd handled progression systems over the years.  By fostering investment in an account, they've created a situation where its increasingly difficult to get players to start over in ANY capacity.  GW2 is insanely alt-friendly, but I've heard folks tell me from other games they didn't even wanna reroll a character, because it would had took "forever" just to get back to the point they realized their build/class sucked.  And you can see that mentality with new players in GW2 being carried over from other games.  

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 12:59 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Lets invest millions of dollars to created the extact same game just a bit prettier for people who have the money to buy good PC parts.

A absolute GENIUS businessplan.

NO risk involved. NO alienating your core audience.  🙃

Sega did this with PSO2: NGS. Games been in maint mode for years now.

• Confused 3

16 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

If they make a guildwars 3 it has to have a subscription. This gives more opportunities to increase the team and less stress. Also they have to pay more for servers and more but from the money of gw2. For guildwars 2 they now got the game running for 11+ years but not easy i think. And plays want more and more. 

Anet making GW3 in the next 4-5 years is already extremely unlikely, making it a sub at launch is pretty much impossible (and would be an extremely bad business decision). Not only would they kill GW2 by splitting the playerbase, but what percent of GW2 players would even think about touching a subscription-based GW3, especially one with high-end hardware requirements like the OP is requesting? A very, very small minority would be my guess based on the responses in the plentiful "I want GW2 to be a sub game!!!" threads. Killing two of their own games (one of which is their primary money-maker) with one stone would be, again, an extremely bad business decision and would likely ruin the company.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

I even have 2! Both Josh Davis, if im correct he is the lead director.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-year-to-remember/

"We’ve been able to apply a lot of the lessons we’ve learned to our fifth expansion in very meaningful ways—lessons that impact both the developer and player experiences. Additionally, not only is the fifth expansion in active development, but we’re also already having conversations about what comes after that! We’re not ready to share any new details today, but what I can say is that we have plenty of thrilling adventures, captivating stories, and exciting updates ahead of us. We can’t wait to embark on this next chapter with you next year!"

https://wccftech.com/guild-wars-2-qa-arenanet-on-switch-to-yearly-expansions-secrets-of-the-obscure-learnings-and-2024-update/

"In terms of the future, we’re actively working on an expansion for 2024 (expansion 5) and planning one for 2025 (expansion 6), which is about as far into the future as we can reasonably foresee."

There is not a single moment i said gw3 isnt on the table. I merely stated 2 expansions will be there first and I only said it would probably be the end for me if there wouls be a gw3. 

Thanks @Cyninja.2954 indeed. 

are u lucy? i didn't quote u

• Confused 5

On 12/24/2023 at 10:43 AM, Balsa.3951 said:
On 12/24/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:

Last post from Josh states they already are working on expansion 6 coming out in 2025. And expansion 5 still needs to come in between.. 

Like others stated. I want more of gw2. 

Gw3 would probably the end for me. 

thats not the answer to what was said. it was said gw2 employe said no gw3 will ever happen.

confused downvote face is also not showing u have any facts to back up ur claim

On 12/27/2023 at 1:14 AM, Balsa.3951 said:
On 12/27/2023 at 12:05 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:

I have no clue what you are trying to say and I didnt react to your post.

59 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

are u lucy? i didn't quote u

You totaly did tho 

On 12/23/2023 at 7:10 AM, Balsa.3951 said:
On 12/22/2023 at 6:54 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

Didn't they say, that there won't be a GW3?

interesting u have that interview link? 

gw3 should be possible same likely as gw2 was.

personally i don't think they can pull it off the next 5 years.

ashes of creation shows how long unreal Engine 5 games need to build.

This is the one you seem to talk about do do you notice the ? mark at the end that dont make it a negative statement, it do however make is a question.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:
On 12/23/2023 at 7:10 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

interesting u have that interview link? 

gw3 should be possible same likely as gw2 was.

personally i don't think they can pull it off the next 5 years.

ashes of creation shows how long unreal Engine 5 games need to build.

Last post from Josh states they already are working on expansion 6 coming out in 2025. And expansion 5 still needs to come in between.. 

Like others stated. I want more of gw2. 

Gw3 would probably the end for me. 

Edited Sunday at 09:58 AM by Cronospere.8143

This is the one your current comment chain with Cronospere is about and to everyones shock it dont say there will never be a gw3 either.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You totaly did tho 

This is the one you seem to talk about do do you notice the ? mark at the end that dont make it a negative statement, it do however make is a question.

This is the one your current comment chain with Cronospere is about and to everyones shock it dont say there will never be a gw3 either.

misclick than my question stays and ppl try to derail to push agenda that anet said no to gw3.

nvm 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 12/23/2023 at 3:21 AM, Elena.8734 said:
  • World VS. World (They were the first in my recollection to make it at this scale)

Actually Dark Age of Camelot had Realm v Realm at this scale, though much more laggy and of course much older graphics.  I vaguely recall that it was the inspiration for WvW.

9 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

misclick than my question stays and ppl try to derail to push agenda that anet said no to gw3.

nvm 

What agenda?

I havent seen it in this thread just some people reading posts incorrectly and then asking questions about what they thought they read.

What we do know as Cronospere.8143 said, GW2 is in active development there is one expansion late 2024 and another one late 2025.

And that is about as long as we ever known in the development bettwen expansion releases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2