How would you feel if every Revenant weapon had an upkeep and upkeeps are removed entirely from Legends?

Yasai.3549

Just a fun discussion for Revenant players to mull over. 

As we have now, every Legend is expected to have an upkeep mechanic to interact with the Energy Bar in the form of a sustained "state" as part of Revenant's identity, but the new Scepter we will be getting introduces the idea of an Upkeep being tied to the weapon itself which got me thinking about this scenario. What would you like the upkeep to be if the weapons were given one, via an F1-F5 skill as a class mechanic? 

Call it "Weapon Channeling", where you hit the Mechanic key to begin channeling Energy to empower your weapon in some form until you run out of Energy or turn it off. 

For me, I'd like for:

Sword : Grants an additional attack whenever you critically hit an enemy. Has an ICD. 

Hammer : Hammerbolts now Boomerang, returning after hitting its target or reaching max range. 

Mace : Mace skills now cause you to sustain a Dark Field around yourself that pulses conditions for a short duration. 

Shortbow : Whenever you Critically hit or gain Kalla's Fervor, you launch a missile at the target. Has an ICD.

Greatsword : Disables all Greatsword skills but Skill 3, which has a drastically reduced cooldown. You begin spinning rapidly dealing damage in an AoE.

Staff : Sustains a Light Field around yourself.

NOTE: This is a fantasy post for fun, so please leave your opinions about balance and reality at the door. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Confused 3

Traits around upkeep probably get changed little bit with this upkeep. Since I think it will something around 3 upkeep because the upkeep skill atm will get normal energy costs instead

What about if this F-skill affected every weapon abiltity. That would be some work to put in, but then you can enchance every attack. Energy management is still key as revenant is to get the most out of these enchanced effects combining with weapon attacks and other skills.

Ohh another idea ==>

You have 2 additional enhance upkeep F-skills as class mechanic on what already exists.

•1 F-upkeep skill affects each weapon skill enchancing it.

• Another F-upkeep skill enchances each weapon skill depending on the legend you're using.

But both F-upkeep skills can't be active at the same time. Not because too much energy cost because only 3 upkeep. But because it would overlaps in too many options what it can do. It will be already a lot because of this 😅.

Or just 1 F-upkeep skill that enchances each weapon skill depending on legend if 2 different would be too much

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like that there's upkeep on the legends, but I do wish other weapons had an upkeep skill as well. From a class fantasy perspective, I wish that there was more a more "bound/pact weapon" feel. Having the Energy costs and upkeep on legends makes it feel like I really am channeling power from the mists. I want that same feeling with the weapons. Right now, it's like I'm a really good warrior, being empowered by different legends, which is cool, but I feel like it could be taken a step further. 

• Confused 2

I love when people title a thread with "How would you feel if...", and then ban discussion on the reasons why it would be a terrible idea.

I think there is room for having upkeep skills on weapons, although I'd probably be inclined to keep them off most of the original weapons (Field of the Mists having an upkeep could be interesting, but it would probably have to be high enough that it would render it less functional with many builds). I don't think removing it from legends is going to fly, though.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

perma jalis hammers sounds pretty good to me

maybe then i'd finally approach the same eHP as everyone else

Well Herald F2 on jalis legend is already a minor perma jalis :)

Shield 5 could be an upkeep, Anet nerfed herald regen heal output arround 40% after the big heal and dps nerfs in game  and being the weakest heals in game and in pvp due corruptions and boon rip, making shield 5 an upkeep to boost regen could being herald to the 4 digits again.

Imagine shield 5 with 5 ammunition (-1 pip per bond), and that can be casted on ally players similiar to secpter 3, those allies would receive +20% incoming regen heals, new icons would pop up above boon bar so revenant could dismiss the bond gameplay (bond  monk gameplay  from gw1).

Shield 4 could apply pulse heals on its upkeep and then do what shield 5 does on consume.

Edit: meanwhile every upkeep on herald becomes -1 pip ... for more "balance".

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Confused 2

I don't think they should change existing weapons, but simply to continue experimentibg with new ones. I like that Scepter is getting an upkeep skill, and I would also love to see a new DPS legend in the future without it (or have it tied to a niche skill instead of a DPS skill). I guess Alliance's legend already kind of does that if you stay in Luxon, but I hate the legend-swap-inside-legend-swap concept.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Just a bandage for the real problem..

I think the original problem is them designing a skill that had a tool tip that ran off both edges of your screen. Just give us a good skill. Not one where we have multiple “if/and” statements just to fire out effects that other class give freely. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

I think the original problem is them designing a skill that had a tool tip that ran off both edges of your screen. Just give us a good skill. Not one where we have multiple “if/and” statements just to fire out effects that other class give freely. 

The way they made it now, not longer being an upkeep and effect over 7 seconds duration.

•Getting stacks is still bothersome for its full effect. Auto attacks gives stacks, but it should ALSO passively gain 1 stack/1sec on tether.

•The consume part of tether is easier to get then. But still little awkward, so best would be that you can trigger consume effect at any time to end the tether.

- Also consume tether effect on enemies needs some damage or longer cc, because compared to allies part it's underwhelming.

- If tether consume effect doesn't gets damage. Give the tether itself hybrid damage overtime on the target.

Side note on scepter skill 2:

Let it do aoe damage around the target with a blast finisher.

• Confused 1