Can someone please explain why Condition damage is the most burst type of damage in the game?

5 hours ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

There is a condiburst. It is the only possible way to play condibuild nowadays. Many builds have too much condicleanse per minute and sustain.
There are more power builds in meta than condi.
5 powerbuilds vs 5 condibuilds teamfight will be decided not by damage type.
OP needs a reality check.

Even if you lower cleanses from everyone including supports and reducing burst condi damage. There would be still complaining about getting too much conditions, because others together can apply it and now you don't have enough condi cleanse overall to solve it 😅.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:58 AM, Korendil.5934 said:

The only times I ever experience one shots (or anything similar) I see things on my death log such as Burning - 20k, or Fire - 21k. Can someone please explain the game philosophy behind Damage over Time - as a damage profile - being the most burst oriented?

I don't know how to combat it. I have sigils that remove condition on hit, or when I weapon swap it removes a condition, but what stops the untelegraphed attack where I like 2/3rds of my HP in less than a second to condition damage? What can help me vs this? I'm pulling my hair out, it's so frustrating that it just makes PvP seem utterly futile.

I suppose some may consider the approach of, 'if you can't beat them, join them' - but why should I be forced to contribute to this lunacy. It's not fun.

Conditions used to be more debuffs early on and you couldn't stack burning for example. That was not nice in pve and the game didn't have splits so they changed most of the conditions to be stackable and that became the new design for the condi builds.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:05 AM, arazoth.7290 said:

Even if you lower cleanses from everyone including supports and reducing burst condi damage. There would be still complaining about getting too much conditions, because others together can apply it and now you don't have enough condi cleanse overall to solve it 😅.

condition damage is mostly aoe, with no tell. it ignores armor, and when it is applied it comes with 3-4 cover condis. the amulets have +vitality and +toughness  unmatched. very well suited for PVE. so, i dont think condi builds are strong in  conquest outside forest....BUT....BUT....they are extremely powerful in deathmatch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Gundam Style.8495 said:

condition damage is mostly aoe, with no tell. it ignores armor, and when it is applied it comes with 3-4 cover condis. the amulets have +vitality and +toughness  unmatched. very well suited for PVE. so, i dont think condi builds are strong in  conquest outside forest....BUT....BUT....they are extremely powerful in deathmatch.

well i was not talking about 2v2 3v3 deadmatch. Because that's also because the areas are a lot closer in deadmatch

8 hours ago, whooot.5784 said:

Can someone explains me why thief is the ONLY class in this game who doesn't have any legit access to burn btw ?

Buff thief please.

They've got something better, poison. I mean if you want to nerf thief, go ahead and ask for poison to be replaced with burn.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, Gundam Style.8495 said:

with no tell

You mean, double tell? with actual skill animation and debuffs icon on you?

the amulets have +vitality and +toughness  unmatched

Unmatched with 1000 power that is almost useless for condi builds?

very well suited for PVE

The what?

On 1/9/2024 at 3:19 PM, Korendil.5934 said:

Provide me with a list of all the viable power build warriors.

Defense spellbreaker gs Dagger shield (Soon also working With staff

Tactics spellbreaker (Support, Soon with staff too) 

Defense Berserker With gs axe sword

Defense tactics Core warrior if You want to Be tanky

Idk the bladesworn Build, but it should have condi cleanse 

• Thanks 1

Condi wouldn't be so bad if they didn't nerf the heavy classes condi so much. I used to be able to put out at least 18 stacks bleeding, might, and weakness with 80% crit chance with piercing on one rotation of my warriors rifle. But we were told it was too strong for the game. A few years later condi damage is through the roof, along with something called a boon ball, a mobile condi dispenser. 

They increased aoe size and duration but forgot to add condi deterents. No set of skills should be automatically unblockable without some tradeoffs. gw2 was supposed to be different then other games but as time goes by it slowly turns into the games it wanted to avoid. There's no place you can see that better then in wvw. Where balance is done around group play instead of role play.

• Confused 1

The game is balanced for PvE boss encounters. The downward spiral really started to pick up when Anet introduced raids and only got worse with subsequent additions of DRMs, strikes, big meta bosses, etc.
Conditions are broken in sPvP because we get the same or similar balance as in WvW, which is a completely different beast. In WvW stuff is primarily balanced for zergs (or at least I think Anet tries to do it but Anet isn't the best when it comes to balancing overall), but there you have a lot of supports which can just cleanse hundreds of stacks of condi in basically no time.
When you are on your own in sPvP, however, you typically don't get that, especially in solo-Q. So either you are in luck and play a class with easy access to condi cleanse (e.g. via light fields) yourself, then condis are absolutely no issue, or you just can't do much against it. I think that's also where the discrepancy comes from, where some people think condi is literally the worst in the game (myself included) and some say it's absolutely no issue at all (pOwEr Is StIlL mEtA sO cOnDi cAn'T bE gOoD).

sPvP is also inherently bad to balance around the huge amount of AoE spam we have, since everyone should be at or at least near a node. This is again not the case in WvW, where zergs and roamers can just move around freely (+ in PvE it's better to have every skill hit everything all the time anyway). This is not a pure condi issue tho which you can see with people crying for DH trap nerfs again. I can be wrong, I didn't go through the list of all skills and checked but I assume the majority of wells and aoe in general has some conditions attached. Add traits to the mix à la "if you apply crippling you also apply burning, torment and confusion" (<- I don't think this exact configuration exists but you get the idea) and it's clear why you are bombarded with dozens of stacks of 5 different conditions as soon as you go near a team fight.

I hard-dislike the concept of conditions being even viable as a "main" damage source but yea, it is what it is. Even hybrid is stupid to me.
I'd prefer conditions to be supplementary at best, ideally no or just 1 or max 2 damaging conditions in the entire game, with the rest being debuffs and not flat out damage. Like, buff healing reduction of poison to 50 or even 75% but remove the dmg ticks. In my opinion they should be more of a tool than an alternative dmg source. I know this won't change as there apparently are a lot of players who even prefer condi over power (probably including Anet staff) but yea.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2