Are WvX Potions From Black Lion Chests Coming Back?

About a year and a half ago, there was a Black Lion chest that had as a guaranteed drop a WvX Potion, which would grant a small amount of experience to not only WvW tracks, but also PvP tracks. I have been waiting impatiently for these to roll around again, always assuming that they would pop up when a WvW restructuring beta was running, but as I mentioned, they have not reappeared for over a year. It used to be that they came around twice or three times a year or so, but since then there has been nothing. I just read on another post that in August of last year anet got rid of WvW and PvP potions, and I have a sinking feeling that these have been discontinued as well. You can't even find them on the wiki anymore.

The reason why I hope that this is not the case is that I am a strictly PvE player. I hate PvP with a passion and can barely tolerate WvW. I was relying on those potions to get me two Gifts of Battle so I could craft a couple of legendaries, the makings of which have been sitting in my bank collecting dust. I really do not want to have to sink 8 hours of my time into WvW just because anet wants to force players to play WvW in order to craft (older) legendaries, but I have the sinking feeling that this is going to be the case. Has anyone heard that these WvX potions are going to eventually come back, or am I out of luck here?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, WritersBlock.7594 said:

About a year and a half ago, there was a Black Lion chest that had as a guaranteed drop a WvX Potion, which would grant a small amount of experience to not only WvW tracks, but also PvP tracks. I have been waiting impatiently for these to roll around again, always assuming that they would pop up when a WvW restructuring beta was running, but as I mentioned, they have not reappeared for over a year. It used to be that they came around twice or three times a year or so, but since then there has been nothing. I just read on another post that in August of last year anet got rid of WvW and PvP potions, and I have a sinking feeling that these have been discontinued as well. You can't even find them on the wiki anymore.

The reason why I hope that this is not the case is that I am a strictly PvE player. I hate PvP with a passion and can barely tolerate WvW. I was relying on those potions to get me two Gifts of Battle so I could craft a couple of legendaries, the makings of which have been sitting in my bank collecting dust. I really do not want to have to sink 8 hours of my time into WvW just because anet wants to force players to play WvW in order to craft (older) legendaries, but I have the sinking feeling that this is going to be the case. Has anyone heard that these WvX potions are going to eventually come back, or am I out of luck here?

They are gone permanently... that said, you can spend idk like 5 hours with a pug tag and unlock a gift of battle via the reward track...

It's much faster than 8 hours, especially with the current WvW event and its 25% track bonus. Pop a few boosters, gobblers if you have them and play for a bit.

There are a ton of PvE players right now in WvW, not only the usual hardcore WvW players. You won't have a chance like this for a while. 

They came back at the end of last March (2023), I recall because I had made a post about how excited I was for their return. 

There's no reason to think they won't return at some point again, despite that the other potions are discontinued.  It couldn't hurt to put a fresh request in Gemstore Requests thread, even though they aren't a gemstore item.  It's what I had done mid-March. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Potion_of_Mist_Rewards

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643

if its a gen 1 or gen 3 weapon then go do your PVE and farm gold to just buy it out right. Getting a Gen 2?  Get a Gen 1 or 3 as you will re-skin it anyways.

Getting armour? If all you do it PVE then dont bother with legendary as its been cele or berserk stats for years at this point so why would you ever need to change your armour.

Also you are playing an MMO, literally nothing but a time sink....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

We get them in every skirmish tier automatically nowadays anyway (“invisible” since it’s opened instantly). There is a reason WvW chests keep pouring in far more than they used to.

They're the piddly little ones. The ones we used to get from WvW dailies seem to be identical to the ones OP is on about. Now we get auto-consume ones from the astral daily thing ("up to 4") if you set it to PvP/WvW. Not sure how big they are. Probably piddly piddlers as well.

EDIT: Wait what the hell, they're all the same. They're all worth 250. I feel conned. What is real?

Edited by LSD.4673

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

They're the piddly little ones. The ones we used to get from WvW dailies seem to be identical to the ones OP is on about. Now we get auto-consume ones from the astral daily thing ("up to 4") if you set it to PvP/WvW. Not sure how big they are. Probably piddly piddlers as well.

EDIT: Wait what the hell, they're all the same. They're all worth 250. I feel conned. What is real?

Haha yep. It's all big ones. Still shocked that Anet gave us so much and no nerf yet.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:27 AM, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

They came back at the end of last March (2023), I recall because I had made a post about how excited I was for their return. 

There's no reason to think they won't return at some point again, despite that the other potions are discontinued.  It couldn't hurt to put a fresh request in Gemstore Requests thread, even though they aren't a gemstore item.  It's what I had done mid-March. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Potion_of_Mist_Rewards

~EpWa

They removed the usual PvP and WvW potions in August 2023 (the boosts they gave are now just applied automatically and the recipes that required them have been changed), given that the WvX potions haven't returned for some time now, it isn't unreasonable to conclude that Anet has moved away from these reward track potions in general.

I think you can still get some PvP ones from achievements, but they are one-offs and presumably the exception to the new rule.

7 hours ago, Twilightzone.7452 said:

Also you are playing an MMO, literally nothing but a time sink....

Banter in an MMO, a pub, or in real life are all time sinks. Doesn't mean they aren't fun. Doesn't mean they aren't a value add. Time is moving on in all cases, it's what you make or see in them. When I was younger a fencer asked others what are you doing now and what will you do later. One reply was live, love, laugh, and share that way when I don't move as fast I can still enjoy these times and share them with others. Never discount time spent. If you see them as time lost, they are, if you understand their value as time added, then they are as well. It comes down to none of us have unlimited time, so make of it what you will. It's easy to be outraged, hard to be inspired. Be inspired. 

4 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

They removed the usual PvP and WvW potions in August 2023 (the boosts they gave are now just applied automatically and the recipes that required them have been changed), given that the WvX potions haven't returned for some time now, it isn't unreasonable to conclude that Anet has moved away from these reward track potions in general.

I think you can still get some PvP ones from achievements, but they are one-offs and presumably the exception to the new rule.

Yes, I know they removed those potions.  But in that announcement and change they never mentioned specifically the Potions of the Mists... They only talked about PvP and WvW potions that came from those game modes.  Since they didn't at all specify potions of the mists which show up in BLCs, I see no reason to think they won't come back to BLCs.   Whether it takes a year or a bit more for them to cycle back in (as many things do in BLCs) has yet to be seen, so it is unreasonable to conclude that they won't come back.  It is reasonable to be concerned they won't.

~EpWa

P.S. If we hit around July/August and haven't seen them again, I'll be in the camp of not holding my breath for their return.

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643

2 hours ago, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

But in that announcement and change they never mentioned specifically the Potions of the Mists

I would assume they also meant that specific potion.  The item those potions came from were discontinued, if you read the wiki page.  It may still exist in the game for players that never consumed them, like the WvW and sPvP potions do.  That announcement also didn't make mention of the change to the guild hall upgrades.  The potions I had contributed to a guild hall that didn't upgrade yet were lost and I had to contact support about it.

10 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Banter in an MMO, a pub, or in real life are all time sinks. Doesn't mean they aren't fun. Doesn't mean they aren't a value add. Time is moving on in all cases, it's what you make or see in them. When I was younger a fencer asked others what are you doing now and what will you do later. One reply was live, love, laugh, and share that way when I don't move as fast I can still enjoy these times and share them with others. Never discount time spent. If you see them as time lost, they are, if you understand their value as time added, then they are as well. It comes down to none of us have unlimited time, so make of it what you will. It's easy to be outraged, hard to be inspired. Be inspired. 

Which is also why I always cringe when people grind out something they don't like, when they could just be grinding things out in their favorite game mode and use the TP. (assuming you can, and it's not account bound). Or people hate-grinding WvW to get legendary armor to save gold. (What? what about all the gold lost from not playing in your preferred game mode)

No amount of play money is going to get that time back lol.

Like, right now my closest map completion is at 70% for a few months and I don't care.  I instead bought a Quip thanks to the cheaper WV legendaries because I consider my time much more valuable. Now I have decided to waste time on a Gen 2 legendary where you must grind everything but that was for the experience and rest assured I'll probably never do it again unless I hate myself. But even for that and the current map compleition I was doing that with friends as a form of entertainment-- I would never do that kitten alone unless really, really bored.

Most people deserve better and need to stop doing things that make them hate themselves. It is not worth it. You will never get your time back, much like the time spent reading this post. Now, was it worth it?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Which is also why I always cringe when people grind out something they don't like, when they could just be grinding things out in their favorite game mode and use the TP. (assuming you can, and it's not account bound). Or people hate-grinding WvW to get legendary armor to save gold. (What? what about all the gold lost from not playing in your preferred game mode)

No amount of play money is going to get that time back lol.

Like, right now my closest map completion is at 70% for a few months and I don't care.  I instead bought a Quip thanks to the cheaper WV legendaries because I consider my time much more valuable. Now I have decided to waste time on a Gen 2 legendary where you must grind everything but that was for the experience and rest assured I'll probably never do it again unless I hate myself. But even for that and the current map compleition I was doing that with friends as a form of entertainment-- I would never do that kitten alone unless really, really bored.

Most people deserve better and need to stop doing things that make them hate themselves. It is not worth it. You will never get your time back, much like the time spent reading this post. Now, was it worth it?

Again, comes down to perspective. I would agree if you see it as a grind, it is. If it leads to something you want and you thought it was time well spent, it was well spent.

I wouldn't recommend to anyone saying something isn't a grind but then complaining about it afterwards since it would seem more they lied to themselves about their own impression of what they were about to do and then went ahead and did it anyway.

7 hours ago, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

Yes, I know they removed those potions.  But in that announcement and change they never mentioned specifically the Potions of the Mists... They only talked about PvP and WvW potions that came from those game modes.  Since they didn't at all specify potions of the mists which show up in BLCs, I see no reason to think they won't come back to BLCs.   Whether it takes a year or a bit more for them to cycle back in (as many things do in BLCs) has yet to be seen, so it is unreasonable to conclude that they won't come back.  It is reasonable to be concerned they won't.

~EpWa

P.S. If we hit around July/August and haven't seen them again, I'll be in the camp of not holding my breath for their return.

I have to agree with others. I wouldn't plan on these returning.

21 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I wouldn't recommend to anyone saying something isn't a grind but then complaining about it afterwards since it would seem more they lied to themselves about their own impression of what they were about to do and then went ahead and did it anyway.

Hey, that's a good summary of these forums. 🤣

The best way to deal with a bad situation is to not get into it in the first place. Though finding solutions out of it can be fun.