The real tragedy of Rush Week

3 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

And I say this even as someone that writes things that can be considered gatekeeping. I don't care for fly by night players here for the rewards and leech but at the same time why hate on players for trying something new? And even if they are just here for rewards, maybe if the game mode was actually decent for them, they'd stay.  One should always welcome those that come in willing to learn instead of "gtfo nub, how dare you not have 10 years of experience from the 30 minutes of gameplay you had" when many would not fulfill their own ridiculous requirements.

Exactly. The whingers in /t about having to WvW for GoB deserve the flack, but when you have guys linking players' PvE map buffs and telling them to go back, it's a level of elitism that deserves a good slap across the back of the head.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:52 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Downstate is, and should be a different event. There could also be other downstate events where we might test various aspects of downstate and how it impacts the experience to be understand how downstate impacts various types of play. Combining downstate and the WR  beta, no I would not mix those, IMO.

Downstate should be removed...permanently.  The only reason it existed was because the game launched with no healers.  Yeah, it safe to say they had added tons of healing, boons and primary healers.  If healers fail to keep you alive, for a variety of reasons that may or may not be their fault, the penalty should be a nice mount ride back from spawn.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Elitism is pretty sad sometimes especially when it comes from people that don't even understand how the game works. Yes, rallybotting sucks but the 10 new players that died 3 seconds into the fight did not rally most enemies!

People have a tendency to be very shortsighted. That is, they are fine with bad systems as long as it does not impact them immediately. Because to them, that is not their problem. So when people actually play the game mode, they get upset because of queues or whatnot and act toxic or whatnot and drive people away and then suddenly "ded game mode". Well you know what? Maybe it was their problem all along. They cannot rub 2 brain cells together to realize that a bit of minor inconvenience to them is good for the long term health of the game. This is why I say they have pretty much engaged in a decade of mediocrity and just try to bully new people who don't know the game mode yet because that's all they can do.

And I say this even as someone that writes things that can be considered gatekeeping. I don't care for fly by night players here for the rewards and leech but at the same time why hate on players for trying something new? And even if they are just here for rewards, maybe if the game mode was actually decent for them, they'd stay.  One should always welcome those that come in willing to learn instead of "gtfo nub, how dare you not have 10 years of experience from the 30 minutes of gameplay you had" when many would not fulfill their own ridiculous requirements.

Pretty much.

The only people who would have a problem with events like this are the dipsticks in guilds that don't want to wait in queue like everyone else, and think the maps should be open for them at all times. They don't care about the game mode, or the people they play with. We gotta have WR too because of these dipsticks.

Should rename world vs world vs world to you vs you vs me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

Downstate should be removed...permanently.  The only reason it existed was because the game launched with no healers.  Yeah, it safe to say they had added tons of healing, boons and primary healers.  If healers fail to keep you alive, for a variety of reasons that may or may not be their fault, the penalty should be a nice mount ride back from spawn.

I wouldn't get rid of downstate completely, it's fun to bait with a downed player to see if you can get helpers to try and get close. I just think it should be active, ie a skill or a player doing something to rez someone rather than a free rez if you happened to hit someone who later died.

8 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Exactly. The whingers in /t about having to WvW for GoB deserve the flack, but when you have guys linking players' PvE map buffs and telling them to go back, it's a level of elitism that deserves a good slap across the back of the head.

People don't understand nuances; it's either black or white. So to them, all new players are the same. They have become old and bitter, and would tell them to get off the lawn but nobody cares and the lawn is not even theirs

Happens a lot on Reddit when you discuss video games or really anything. There's a right way or a wrong way, and if you're doing it differently, it's wrong!

For example, someone suggested getting provsioner tokens through Dugan with excess tickets, but they got objected too, because apparently tickets are too valuable of a currency to waste. That may be true to the general populace that rarely plays WvW, but obviously not true if you play a lot of WvW.

And of course there are sillier discussions, like which is the optimal "meta" way to hang toilet paper. People can be serious about that too.

Despite my complaints about the game mode, I don't take it to ruin others' experience if they have fun. Sometimes someone will make a thread talking about how they started WvW and enjoyed it, and then some "veteran" comes in saying "just wait! the game mode sucks if you actually know better" and starts dumping their emotional baggage that they always post about every thread regardless of situation.

This link has been pretty good but we had some few toxic people flaming everyone but especially the new players that come in. They are just some washed up commander that most people avoid because as it turns out nobody likes toxic people. They don't seem to even play the game, it's like why are they even here? But whatever, each to their own.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, urd.8306 said:

Imagine no downstate in an almost instagib game. You guys can't be serious.

That would dumb the game down to rogues two-shotting people in classic wow.

Downstate is fine, it's the rallybotting that's the issue. Before rush week there were visible tags on most maps in our matchup. As soon as rush week started a good chunk of them went private tag. The issue is rallybotting, the new people on the map gravitate to tags because they're uncomfortable roaming alone. The tags get frustrated because there is a large number of new players gravitating to them and feeding the other team rallybots. If there was no rallybot, there would be no incentive to go private tag because without rallybot more peeps, even if they are relatively new is better than less peeps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:16 AM, MedievalThings.5417 said:

We can agree to disagree here. I think downstate does add gameplay and tactics to the mode. I do also think it aids the larger side more which is where I could see it being adjusted to not favor numbers so much but still have a role to play in a fight. I also think they could adjust those impacts and we could test them like we do with no downstate weeks, which I do like but overtime can understand others view where they don't like them.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:25 AM, Kaizz.7306 said:

Combine Rush Week with No Down State would be hilarious, but I know new players would hate the mode and never return.

Unless I am mis-remembering usually no downstate weeks do also come with one of the types of bonus rewards like Call of War.

The real tragedy is when PvE people join WvW for the bonus and never play WvW outside of that. Meanwhile they firmly belive that this is what WvW will be when worldrestruction happens, and it is so active and SOOOOOOOOO good. Then when worldrestruction happen and no bonus event it will be just as it is now when there is no betas because those players are not going to play more WvW , they are just here for the bonusevent.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:53 PM, urd.8306 said:

That would dumb the game down to rogues two-shotting people in classic wow.

That is exactly what all those edgy 13 year old willbenders / deadeyes would consider to be fun.

#nerfcele

Edited by CafPow.1542