Split birthday gifts between account age and character age

This is a legitimate pain point i have of the game. My account is 11 years old, but my oldest character, my warrior Alix Steelheart, is only 7 years old because i deleted my characters before her not knowing about birthdays and the gifts they had. The Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake is account bound and my account is eligible for it, but because my oldest character isn't I am missing out. It's part of the reason I don't use my commander tag for the most part. I could use ascended feasts but i'm dipping into my guild storage for those and i'd rather keep those for guild events if i decided to build my guild up. I implore you guys to look into making the main gift of each birthday for account age and have character birthdays for the boosters, dyes, and other smaller things.

So how I would break this down is as follows.

Account Age (this also includes the different titles and the one time packs that I'm not going to list)

1. Mini Queen Jennah
  2. Birthday Blaster
  3.  Permanent Birthday Finisher
  4.  -
  5.  -
  6.  -
  7. Victory Rock
  8.  Celebratory Birthday Enrichment
  9. Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake
  10.  -
  11.  -

Character Age

1. Experience Scroll (level 20)   and  Birthday Booster
  2. Experience Scroll (level 20) Birthday Booster, Bag of Spirit Shards
  3. Experience Scroll (level 30) Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5), and a Celebratory Dye Pack
  4. Experience Scroll (level 40) Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5),  Jubilant Dye Pack, and a Birthday Card
  5. Experience Scroll (level 50) Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5), Exuberant Dye Kit, and a Birthday Card
  6. Experience Scroll (level 60) Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5), Triumphant Dye Kit, Black Lion Statuette (2), and a Birthday Card
  7. Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5), Victorious Dye Kit, Black Lion Statuette (2), and a Birthday Card
  8. Birthday Booster (2),  Teleport To Friend (5), Dedicated Dye Kit, Black Lion Statuette (2), and a Birthday Card
  9. Birthday Booster (2), Bag of Spirit Shards, Teleport To Friend (5), Black Lion Statuette (2), and a Birthday Card
  10. Birthday Booster (2), Bag of Spirit Shards, Teleport To Friend (5), Black Lion Statuette (2), a Proof of Legend, and a Birthday Card
  11. Birthday Booster (2), Bag of Spirit Shards, Teleport To Friend (5), Black Lion Statuette (2), a Proof of Legend, and a Birthday Card

These would be tracked separately so once you log into a character when your account age ticks up you can't claim a floating chest or mail for that on any other character.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

There already is a split between the character gift (sent in the mail) and the one-time account gift which comes from an achievement. For the first 2 years the account reward was just a title, from the 3rd birthday onwards they started adding items to it. You can see what's included in each one here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift. That means your suggestion might be relatively simple for Anet to implement, I think they'd only need to change the trigger for the achievement to use the counter directly instead of using the birthday gifts.

It doesn't directly affect me, but I think this could be a good solution, it means accounts still have to meet the original requirements to get the gifts, but removes the need to hold onto old characters purely for birthdays.

7 hours ago, TheSoulTkr.6928 said:

The Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake is account bound and my account is eligible for it, but because my oldest character isn't I am missing out. It's part of the reason I don't use my commander tag for the most part. 

I know it's not really the point of the post, but I just wanted to say don't be afraid to ask other people in your squad to contribute. Chances are there will be someone there who can drop a cake feast (or some other food). Being the commander doesn't mean being the one who does everything for the squad, it just means you're the one with the map marker/s.

I'll often ask people to help out when I'm commanding, even doing things like leading the way to the next event if I don't know where it is. I can provide a tag but that doesn't mean I know everything about everything in the game and have every tool that might be useful, and there's a whole squad of other people who can add bits.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'd love that too. I created my account around 2013-2014 when I quit WOW, but I didn't like the gameplay at the time, so I moved on to other games. But then I gave it another shot when I got tired of ESO about 4-5 years ago when I deleted my lvl20-ish character I had created originally to start over fresh so that I can learn how the game works.

So now my account is almost 10 years old, but my oldest char isn't even 5, and I won't have the cake until 2029...

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

It's a no from me. I feel bad for You, but imho it's not worth Devs time. Especially considering that bitrhday rewards are not something super special nor something that You must have to enjoy all of the content that game have to offer.

Being able to put a cake down changes nothing, I never cared if there was a food on meta or not, apart from the first days of Dragon End meta, and this days are long gone. There is no need for any food in meta, and it's not like cake feast is the best buff out there anyway. If You care so much than level up chef and get some cheapest feasts there are to craft. I would bet that they will still be more useful than cake.

Last but not least. You are not alone, there are thousands of players that will have to wait even longer than You. Should they avoid commanding stuff till they get a cake as well? Kitten happens, just wait till You get it. Don't be shy about not giving food at metas, literally no one cares, and there is many peoples who will eighter use their own food or their own feasts. Nothing to worry about, and especially nothing that would justify such changes You propose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This has been suggested in the past. There are benefits and detriments to either implementation. Unless the developers decide to do a 180 on their stance now, don't expect this to get changed.

The birthday gifts being tied to a character birthday (it is a character birthday, not account birthday) is implemented this way as far back as Guild Wars 1 in 2013 (game released in 2012). So we are talking a tradition dating back over 20 years.

Now obviously the developers could decide to change this, but I would not get my hopes up.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TheSoulTkr.6928 said:

The Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake is account bound and my account is eligible for it, but because my oldest character isn't I am missing out. It's part of the reason I don't use my commander tag for the most part. I could use ascended feasts but i'm dipping into my guild storage for those and i'd rather keep those for guild events if i decided to build my guild up.

As a commander you're not responsible for bringing food -be it cake or ascended, so with that knowledge now you can freely use your tag whenever you want.
I really find the notion of "I can't use ascended food, because I'd rather use it for guild events.... if I ever start making those!" (because that's what you mean by "if I decided to build my guild up"?) like a huge stretch to find any justification for your request.

5 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Why?

"lets see what would need to happen in order for me to qualify for the rewards I want"

4 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

So now my account is almost 10 years old, but my oldest char isn't even 5, and I won't have the cake until 2029...

So you've played for 5 years or even less, but you should get 10 year birthday rewards?

Birthday system is flawed, but I'm not sure how to make it better and what is proposed here probably isn't "it".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's not what's being said.  If someone deletes characters they can still have actively played for 10 years.

What do  you mean that's not what's being said? Did you read what I quoted?
The 3rd quote isn't quoting OP, maybe that's the part you're missing here. They could have actively played, but they didn't and we know that because that's exactly what they wrote.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I know it's not really the point of the post, but I just wanted to say don't be afraid to ask other people in your squad to contribute. Chances are there will be someone there who can drop a cake feast (or some other food). Being the commander doesn't mean being the one who does everything for the squad, it just means you're the one with the map marker/s.

While I have no objection to the OP's requested changes to birthday gifts, I do think Danikat is making an important point here. In WvW, the commanders I run with will ask the squad if someone can put out food and/or banners if the tag doesn't have them. Someone always puts the required items out. When doing metas in open world pve, I often see people putting out food and/or banners even when there are no commander tags around. So to me, the lack of the shareable birthday cake is not a reason to avoid tagging up.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What do  you mean that's not what's being said? Did you read what I quoted?
The 3rd quote isn't quoting OP, maybe that's the part you're missing here. They could have actively played, but they didn't and we know that because that's exactly what they wrote.

Yes the quote was missing some context.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So you've played for 5 years or even less, but you should get 10 year birthday rewards?

Someone who did the same, but did not delete their old character, would still have the birthday cake. Someone who played even less than 5 years, by playing half a year in 2013 and half a year now, would also still get the cake. But not me, because I deleted the character in between because I actually wanted to know how to play the game when I came back. And unless they go around deleting cakes from people who did it like that, I want to have my cake too, because that's what would be fair in this situation. And giving out such good QoL rewards based on account age rather than character age is exactly the right solution.

• Like 4
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Someone who did the same, but did not delete their old character, would still have the birthday cake. Someone who played even less than 5 years, by playing half a year in 2013 and half a year now, would also still get the cake. But not me, because I deleted the character in between because I actually wanted to know how to play the game when I came back. And unless they go around deleting cakes from people who did it like that, I want to have my cake too, because that's what would be fair in this situation. And giving out such good QoL rewards based on account age rather than character age is exactly the right solution.

That only shows that birthday rewards are flawed (which is something I already acknowledged), not that you should get 10 year reward for playing the game for 4.

Edited by Sobx.1758
"are"
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The account is 10 years old. It's just that the oldest character got deleted at some point. And the situation this thread is talking about has, in reality, no connection whatsoever with how long someone played the game. Someone that created a character at launch then got missing for 10 years would get their 11 years birthday if they logged today, even if their actual playtime was less than an hour total, but a person that keeps recreating their characters every 2-3 years and played actively since launch (with time played in 5 digits) would be 10 years away from that same birthday. Had the person you responded to not deleted their original level 20 character, they'd have received the rewards with the exact same amount of time played.

Now, when we're talking about character gifts, that is completely fine - and if Anet actually kept to that kind of "birthday" gifts only, like they initially did, we would have absolutely nothing to talk about. At some point however Anet decided to switch more and more stuff to account achievements however, which brings us to the very point we're talking about. Namely, account-based age achievement rewards not being tracked by account age, but by character age.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The account is 10 years old.

At no point I somehow didn't understand that fact. The question was: "So you've played for 5 years or even less, but you should get 10 year birthday rewards?" and I don't see how "the acocunt is 10 years old" answers anything here.

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's just that the oldest character got deleted at some point

No, it's not just that. It's that he literally said he plays the game for 4-5 years. I'd understand the request if he played for these years, but unknowingly deleted the character somewhere in the middle. There seem to be a difference between what you're commenting on and what he described in his post.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

At no point I somehow didn't understand that fact. The question was: "So you've played for 5 years or even less, but you should get 10 year birthday rewards?" and I don't see how "the acocunt is 10 years old" answers anything here.

Because we're talking about account rewards, not character rewards. And because we're talking about issue that, like pointed out before, has no relation whatsoever to how long someone played. Birthday gifts, in any case, are not tracked by playtime at all. They are tracked merely by age and that was always the intention behind them.

So yes, someone with 10-years old account is perfectly justified in thinking they should be eligible for 10 year account birthday reward.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Namely, account-based age achievement rewards not being tracked by account age, but by character age.

Just now, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because we're talking about account rewards, not character rewards.

What "account-based age achievement"? If it was "account-based age achievement", this complaint wouldn't exist because it would give out rewards for account age, but it doesn't because it's bound to character age. I'm not sure what "account-based age achievement" you're talking about here?

As for the rest of the post, as I already said:

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Birthday system is flawed, but I'm not sure how to make it better and what is proposed here probably isn't "it".

Because what would be the solution here? A weekly or monthly check for player activity? Rolling those rewards into AP rewards system? "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" seems like a weird solution to anything here.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Because what would be the solution here? A weekly or monthly check for player activity? Rolling those rewards into AP rewards system? "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" seems like a weird solution to anything here.

Considering that it is a solution that is already in place, i don't see how making a separation between tracking account and character specific rewards would change anything here at all.

• Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Considering that it is a solution that is already in place, i don't see how making a separation between tracking account and character specific rewards would change anything here at all.

It is not though because, again, if it was already in place, this request wouldn't exist. The point is that the achievement is for character birthdays and not for account creation date. It's the same point as any other achievement: it rewards you for doing what the achievements requires.

So no, there's no "account age achievement". Maybe they can add one though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

It is not though because, again, if it was already in place, this request wouldn't exist. The point is that the achievement is for character birthdays and not for account creation date. It's the same point as any other achievement: it rewards you for doing what the achievements requires.

Read more carefully. The "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" solution does already exist. The only difference that is being proposed is that account unlocks should be tracked by account age, separately from per character ones.

And again, if you dislike the "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" cases, you are probably against birthday reward system in general (which very much works according to that principle), regardless of specifics, in which case, again, proposed solution changes absolutely nothing for you, while making some other players happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Read more carefully. The "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" solution does already exist.

But that isn't the answer to the question I asked, so maybe I'm not the one who should read more carefully here.

There's no "account age achievement". The solution you're proposing here isn't a solution.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

But that isn't the answer to the question I asked, so maybe I'm not the one who should read more carefully here.

Well, "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" was your primary argument against this proposal - i am simply explaining here that it is completely irrelevant, because the change would not make the situation any worse in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, "I made an account and then left for 10 years, but give me a reward" was your primary argument against this proposal - i am simply explaining here that it is completely irrelevant, because the change would not make the situation any worse in that regard.

It is relevant and you seem to avoid the antirity of this:

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That only shows that birthday rewards are flawed (which is something I already acknowledged), not that you should get 10 year reward for playing the game for 4.

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Your idea of making something flawed more flawed as a solution to anything here is rather weird and actively avoids what was asked.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3