New Ranger Pet - Sky-Chak Striker

Remus Darkblight.1673

Haven't seen a post about this yet, my apologies if there already is one.

Surprised to see we're getting another new pet next week, any guesses how it might perform or are we still going to see the same couple of pets used in most modes?

Wiki page is updated with stats and location - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sky-Chak_Striker

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/the-realm-of-dreams-arrives-on-february-27/ - Second paragraph, under the video.

Edited by Remus Darkblight.1673
Wiki page now updated

knowing what chak are like and considering the shark was kinda of a condi pet. I'm hoping this pet ether gives one of the 3 things we desperately need.

• Shock Aura
  • Magnetic Aura
  • Stability

My money is on shock aura, that way I can give elementalist a taste of their own medicine of shock shenanigans. 

Edited by Oahkahmewolf.6210
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

knowing what chak are like and considering the shark was kinda of a condi pet. I'm hoping this pet ether gives one of the 3 things we desperately need.

• Shock Aura
  • Magnetic Aura
  • Stability

My money is on shock aura, that way I can give elementalist a taste of their own medicine of shock shenanigans. 

Interestingly maybe it's going to give stab and that can be *one* of the reasons they decided to remove Shared Anguish? 🤔

But anyway so far any pet they brought after POF were not really used EXCEPT turtle so I got my hopes low for this one. (Please Anet prove me wrong!)

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DarkFlopy.8197 said:

But anyway so far any pet they brought after POF were not really used EXCEPT turtle so I got my hopes low for this one. (Please Anet prove me wrong!)

I mean it really varies on what gamemode you play, I make alot of uses of Turtle when I play Untamed/Druid in WvW or Spvp. Same goes for ether Electric Wyvern, Pink Moa or Phoenix for there specific uses. This changes when I play soulbeast from Any of the Bear/Alpine wolf/Raven or Snow owl/Smokescale/White Moa and ETC.

For PvE can really roll with everything but I know there's a chart that shows which is the top dps for pets. Might have to do that research on your own.

Edited by Oahkahmewolf.6210

57 minutes ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

I mean it really varies on what gamemode you play, I make alot of uses of Turtle when I play Untamed/Druid in WvW or Spvp. Same goes for ether Electric Wyvern, Pink Moa or Phoenix for there specific uses. This changes when I play soulbeast from Any of the Bear/Alpine wolf/Raven or Snow owl/Smokescale/White Moa and ETC.

For PvE can really roll with everything but I know there's a chart that shows which is the top dps for pets. Might have to do that research on your own.

True but talking about Meta in competitive modes (WvW and SPvP) there are very specific pets being used.
Outside of competitive modes there is the meta for PvE content outside of open world.

I personally use Smokescale/Turtle/Fern-Hound/Electric-Wyvern/Bear/Pink-Moa/Blue-Moa and... hear me out... I am thinking about theorycrafting a build for roaming in WvW that includes maces and is built around BM for Untamed, trying to imitate mechanist although it might be impossible due to the very big differences between the mech as a pet and what ranger has as pets and the various differences between them in the core.

It needs a CC of some sort--preferably two, to be even considered for competitive.  A single CC and something like on demand stability would work too--would have to be instant like the white tiger's aegis application and not stupid like white moas aura (where it runs to the enemy then casts the aura instead of casting the aura then running off like most other pets).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

Sky Chak is a power Dps pet, with a lightning field.

Lol useless for competitive then I guess, still downloading but I can expect glass cannon pet with cast time animations, banzai into enemy condi aoe and insta die...hope to be wrong

14 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Lol useless for competitive then I guess, still downloading but I can expect glass cannon pet with cast time animations, banzai into enemy condi aoe and insta die...hope to be wrong

Well, I'll be damned....it may be a dps pet, but its attack in SB mode is quite good for zerg play in wvw, they really thought about it...my hat to them

5 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

its a really good replacement for Lightning Wyvern

Yeah, it seems very close; lose the extra CC from Wyvern but the F2 will actually hit all the time instead of based on how far the pet is (as we know E. Wyvern likes to go through things).  Slightly less HP than Wyvern but the other pet skills I think are just straight better.  

It's a good pet; leading to some funky daze builds that I kind of wish it didn't because we know what they do to ranger once they find out what these builds are 😶

15 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

its a really good replacement for Lightning Wyvern

Can totally see that, altho it's sad that it's quite squishy, like 15k HP in competitive and almost no armor, also power is 1.6k compared to other squishy pets where they have like 1.9k power 😞

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197

15 minutes ago, DarkFlopy.8197 said:

Can totally see that, altho it's sad that it's quite squishy, like 15k HP in competitive and almost no armor, also power is 1.6k compared to other squishy pets where they have like 1.9k power 😞

1,6 k power (and good crit chance) is standard for "glass" pets (eg. cats or birds). Pets with higher power tend to have less crit (and more tankyness). Offensive stats generally don't matter as much for pets as defensive stats - and with 15k hp it won't be viable in WvW (on non slb) no matter the rest.

Edited by Zyreva.1078